[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Have pic related >LCP is only 0.83 inches thick >Decide

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (78KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
78KB, 1280x720px
>Have pic related
>LCP is only 0.83 inches thick
>Decide to make custom book safe for gun and 1 magazine
>Pick book around 1 inch thick with at least 1 inch around both items
>Buy 12 neodymium 1/3 inch magnets
>Glue pages together individually
>Glue magnets in holes drilled
>7 of 10 magnets set it place
>Try to test retention
>Magnets furl the pages and rip each other out of place

Is there a way to make a magnetic closure on a book that won't suck? The only way that I can imagine it working okay is to divide ghe book into 8 sections and glue one go another. I can't imagine the pages looking okay after all of the glue.
>>
>>1095266
Heres an alternative idea
A cheap box set, with the majority of the book removed except the spines and a bit past that, glued so it becomes one piece, with a hinge hidden inside. Will allow you to store more as well
Theres both better and worse methods than yours tho
>>
>>1095268

I was planning on hollowing it out with a band saw and filling the inside with foam. I couldn't get to that point because I hadn't yet set the magnets. I don't quite see what a hinge would do.
>>
>>1095271
I was referring to my theory, of the box set, using a hinge.
Yours is different and isnt related to that.
>>
why would you use 10 neodymium magnets for that?
>>
>>1095277
This; too many magnets, OP. You need 1 set in the 2 opening corners max.
>>
>>1095266
Slit the back spine and slide in steel?
>>
>>1095291
I'm planning on using this for places other than a bookshelf, so it would be paramount that it does not open unless desired.
>>
>>1095479
Use even more magnets, build the whole thing with magnets.

ffs
>>
>>1095266
I would cut down on the amount of magnets. Also when gluing the pages make sure you put alot in the places you are going to be drilling and putting the magnets. You should be drilling though mostly glue. Make sure you let the glue set for a couple of days, with a lot of pressure on it(ie; a big weight on the book).
>>
Replace pages with a textured wooden block.
>>
I just built one of these. As long as the pages aren't glossed, mix half glue half water and brush it on the edges of the closed book (use a grocery bag to protect the pages you want to stay unglued) then insert maybe two, max three magnets. Good luck.
>>
>>1095266
Larger book.. thick enough to do what you need... clamp between two pieces of thin board not including 1 cover(I have used as thin as 1/4" inch) use a router to hollow out only what you need (trace it on the thin board) glue just the edge pieces with Elmer's.
>>
File: note-diary-book-with-lock.jpg (19KB, 337x337px) Image search: [Google]
note-diary-book-with-lock.jpg
19KB, 337x337px
>>
NO GUNS ALLOWED ON /DIY/
NO GUNS, NO SEX, AND NO DRUGS
>>
>>1095979
Did you even read the sticky?
You can literally have threads about machining and building your own guns.

The rule is there so retards dont make threads asking how to make improvised firearms and pipe bombs.
>>
>>1095979
DIY sex? Like masturbation?

Either way, pretend it's for hiding two paperweights that are gun and magazine shaped if you have an issue. It would be the same end product.

Also, this isn't DIYing a gun, but a book.
>>
>>1095979
>>>/autism/
>captcha was lee-enfield haven
>>
>>1095266
Neodymium magnets are too strong

Use some simple ceramic magnets
>>
>>1095266
Nigga, you're doing it wrong, neodymium magnets are too strong, if you let them stick to each other they will rip the glue apart.
Next time drill the holes, but leave at least 10 pages to be glued on top of the magnets on both sides. This will also hide the magnets, giving it a neater finish.
That or use a thin metal strip with the magnets so the force is not strong enough to rip the thing apart.
>>
>>1096032
I'd go for 30+ pages. That way you can also use more magnets, making the force that holds it together when closed more evenly spread around the edges of the book.
>>
>>1096032
>>1096039

I tried this with one page and they royally fucked it up. Next time I'll use ten pages.

I found out that I need an R bit to make it a snug fit. I'm going to seat the magnets and use a nailgun to pin the pages while the glue dries with a weight on top.
>>
>>1095266
>Buy 12 neodymium 1/3 inch magnets

What kind of fucked up imperial fraction is that? Is that something you just pulled out of your as or is that actually the specification? Do they also have magnets in square roots of an inch? Maybe magnets with measurements in complex numbers? The irrationals?
I for one would support all measurements represented by infinite sums.
>>
>>1096219
It means that the diameter of the magnet is one third of an inch. The proper bit size for this would be R (0.339 inches).

It's literally just a fraction.
>>
>>1095979

Fuck you.
>>
>>1095979
Feck off Europe
>>
I was working on something similar.

>no bandsaw

I drilled 4 corner holes, and was going to use a jigsaw (which worked fine), but even though I jigged and clamped, the paper was pillowing as I drilled.

Is it better to just use a band or jigsaw and fill the entry?
>>
>>1096852
Rude
>>
>>1097802

You can use small nails and a nailgun to secure the pages together, and then glue the sides. I doubt that the pages will act against you after you clamp them and the glue dries.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.