[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've developed an interest in woodworking and I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 9

File: woodworking.jpg (70KB, 990x447px) Image search: [Google]
woodworking.jpg
70KB, 990x447px
I've developed an interest in woodworking and I've decided to give it a try.

What would be the basic tools I need and an easy beginner project? (Something like a spoon maybe?). I'm 18 and I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with my parents so there isn't a garage or shed.
>>
>>1094970

First, you need to plant a tree.
>>
You must first decide what you want to do.

Make furniture?
Carve sculptures?
Turn bowls?

Woodworking is kind of a large area.

You mention a spoon, which is carving wood generally. For this you need some knives and gouges. The nice thing here is that you can fit all the tools in shoe box and there is no loud noises.

However if you want to do larger pieces, you generally need (or rather want) power tools, which are large and loud.
>>
>>1094975
With that small of space, woodburning and woodcarving (like carving a spoon) would be your best bet. Maybe balsa wood projects like model building.
It really doesnt translate well into real woodworking later down the line when you get a garage though.

To be honest, the typical furniture building and other big woodworking you tend to think of is loud and messy which isnt suitable for doing in an apartment.
>>
carving would be a good option. woodworking is loud and messy, unless you have a balcony or roof you are shit outta luck
>>
File: chip.jpg (294KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
chip.jpg
294KB, 1280x1280px
start with BASIC chip carving. Easy with walnut, butternut, bass, mabye soft pine. Print your pattern, glue to your board and cut your chips. Make some Christmas cookie molds/ornaments.

Can start with 1 knife and highly recommend these
>>
File: DovetailBox.jpg (155KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
DovetailBox.jpg
155KB, 1000x750px
>>1094970
You can make boxes with dovetail and box joints.
Get a cheap miter box, get a cheap coping saw, get a few chisels and youll be golden.

Youtube is filled with tutorials
>>
File: 2012-11-10-00h08m-2.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
2012-11-10-00h08m-2.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
Local lumberyards might not stock a variety of hardwoods. Try asking someone for a couple of pieces of firewood and also ask them if it was recently cut down. If less than a year ago it likely isn't entirely dried out. I'd avoid oak, ash, hickory for spoons since they have pretty coarse grain.
The term hardwood is deceptive though since it doesn't have much to do with the hardness of the wood. Hardwood = deciduous tree, softwood = coniferous tree.
Poplar is a soft deciduous tree while for example yew (coniferous) can be incredibly hard.

To keep it cheap and simple, just get a few carving knives so you don't have to secure the workpiece in a vice like with chisels/gouges.
You'll need a curved knife (called hook knife? not sure) to carve a deep bowl.
Get a whetstone, diamond stone or some fine grit sandpaper (300-800) while you're at it, sharp tools are essential.

Hew the thing roughly to shape with a hatchet.
Tape your thumb to avoid cutting it and to reduce wear from the pressure you put on the back of the knife.
Don't get chips or sawdust on the rug as it can get really stuck in there.
Treat things that come into contact with food using foodgrade mineral oil. Re-oil occasionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu50jnWmYvE

Pic is a birch spoon I probably should've made shallower. I did not limit myself to knives though.
>>
>>1095073
>The term hardwood is deceptive though since it doesn't have much to do with the hardness of the wood.
Never worked with wood have you, my dude?
>>
>>1095076
What's wrong with the statement?
>>
>>1095080
If you've ever used a chisel or screwed a screw into hardwood vs softwood the you would know.
>>
File: 1442072535353.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1442072535353.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
>>1095083

Perhaps you're angling for (You)'s or perhaps you didn't read the follow-up sentence.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/genetic/question598.htm
>>
File: Why Canadans Put Milk In Bags.webm (1MB, 427x318px) Image search: [Google]
Why Canadans Put Milk In Bags.webm
1MB, 427x318px
>>1095094
Actually I didn't read the one after. I was just thinking oak vs pine, which is a big difference. Now I feel like a nigger.
>>
File: 1480039956741.jpg (31KB, 491x418px) Image search: [Google]
1480039956741.jpg
31KB, 491x418px
The way it's used colloquially is pretty much as you say though. Probably because softwoods usually are softer than hardwoods on average.

But whatever. Arguing semantics is autistic as hell.
>>
>>1094970
Wood carving 101 copypasta.

To get started, get a basic carving/whittling knife and a good set of sharpening stones. Don't get a super expensive knife; do get quality stones, and learn how to use them. You'll ruin your first tools while learning to do your own sharpening, so buy your investment tools later.

A good carving knife is the only tool you ever *need*, so start with that and master it. Buy more specialized tools as you get experience and learn what you need for the kind of carving you do. You'll also want some kind of saw for sizing your wood, and probably a coping saw and a drill.

If you want to experiment, then buy a cheap tool kit at Harbor Freight or something to try em out, but don't buy permanent tools that way. You'll be far too picky about your tools to bother with kits soon enough anyway.

For a workspace, you need a sturdy table and a way to clamp things to it. I used to have one in my apartment that was just a piece of plywood on a 2x4 frame screwed to the wall, so space and quality are not serious limits. "C" clamps or Jorgensen clamps are traditional, but easy grip bar clamps have become my favorite. Do NOT go cheap on the clamps, they just break.

Start on soft woods if you can, like basswood or pine, but really just use whatever's handy. It can be very satisfying to make something incredible out of some beautiful exotic hardwood, but it's equally satisfying to find a piece of junk on the ground and reclaim it into something gorgeous. Bottom line is each piece of wood is different, even if it's the same species, so just learn to feel it piece by piece and you'll be better off then following any guide.

Carving is best learned by doing, and good luck.
>>
>>1095073
Botanically, Hardwood=Deciduous and all that.

Woodworkers are generally not botanists. Generally speaking, Hard Wood = Wood that is hard.
>>
File: pretty comfy really.jpg (107KB, 787x911px) Image search: [Google]
pretty comfy really.jpg
107KB, 787x911px
>making wooden toys
>snowy morning
>start a fire
>alone at the shop
>feels good
woodworking is pretty great OP
>>
>>1094970
>Something like a spoon maybe?

spoon carving is a specific trade, actually. you would need a small axe for roughing, a straight "sloyd" knife, a bent knife or a gouge, optionally a small panel saw\a rasp, some sandpaper or a scraper. also you would need a stump about 1.5" high and about 1" in diameter. it is totally possible to do this kind of thing in a 2 bedroom apartment.
>>
>>1095076
he is correct. balsa and bass are hardwoods yet very soft to the cut. "hardwood" is a bit of misnomer.
>>
>>1095202
This is master-tier comfiness
>>
>>1095214
we use bass a lot in the shop.

it's very similar to pine for hardness and looks, most people couldn't even tell the difference.

it's a little more expensive than pine at the mill, but there's no resin and almost no knots so you almost don't have any loss. that usually makes up for the cost.

>>1095222
it definitely is.
>>
File: jack-plane.jpg (266KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
jack-plane.jpg
266KB, 1024x768px
I know hes talking about making spoons but i couldnt live in my shop without this.
>>
I made a spoon using the small blade of my victorinox hiker, some fine sandpaper and a hazel branch. It came out pretty good.
I also used the SAK's saw to cut the branch. Hollowing and sanding the bowl took a while and it's easier to just use a gouge or a hook knife (not sure which one is better).

Whittling can be good for a beginner, you don't spend too much. You need a knife with a small blade, something to sharpen it, sandpaper, a saw. You can use twigs, branches and wood scraps.
Search projects and info on wood variety on youtube or read a whittling book (Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Book of Whittling by Chris Lubekmann, Whittling Handbook by Peter Benson, Whittling and Woodcarving by E.J. Tangerman, The Art of Whittling by Walter L. Faurot).
>>
>>1095287
Seeing as this is a beginner thread, what would you suggest, in plane English of course.

Those and chisels seem to be something that woodworkers seem to always have a lot of. I assume you can get started with just a couple types though.
>>
http://woodgears.ca/beginner/
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12995244 some related comments
>>
>>1095222
defineatly.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.