[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Say I wanted to secure a flexible bearing to a carbon fibre beam

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: bushes.jpg (55KB, 588x374px) Image search: [Google]
bushes.jpg
55KB, 588x374px
Say I wanted to secure a flexible bearing to a carbon fibre beam to allow it to act as a leaf spring. How could I do this without machining the carbon fibre? I can only think of clamping it but I'm not sure whether the friction would be high enough to fully constrain it
>>
>>1094409
'clamp' by rolling the beam part way around the bearing and securing it with a slightly larger cut tube
>>
>>1094431
You can roll carbon fibre?
>>
>>1094452
you cant?

a sheet should be a little pliable
>>
>>1094457
>>1094457
It's a fairly thick beam in the place of the lower wishbone
>>
>>1094409
>flexible bearing
I feel like some part of my life was a lie.
>>
>>1094461
How?
>>
File: Dirty Willy 018.jpg (71KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Dirty Willy 018.jpg
71KB, 1024x768px
Do you want it to look like pic related?
I took PCB-grade glass fibre sheet here, and it works well. I installed the "bearings" at the ends by looping zip ties around little brass bushings. The zip ties also work as predetermined breaking points in case of overload. Now to your problem:
I assume your "carbon fibre beam" has a rectangular cross section, like an actual leaf spring would have, correct? In this case, you lightly sand the area you want the "bearing" to sit on, and you lightly sand a "bearing" in form of a metal tube which is 5mm wider than the "beam" on each side. Then you glue it on with CA. Then you wrap carbon, glass or kevlar fibre roving around everything until it looks solid, like this:
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/old-wood-old-rope-knot-texture-background-41466516.jpg
Then heat it up with an air gun or hair dryer to around 60°C, and apply epoxy resin which is normally used to laminate glass fibre cloth. It will get liquid like water and will soak everything. Then put it in the oven at 50°C for curing for 2h or 3h. Then trim back the metal tube "bushing" until it is flush with the area wrapped with the fibre roving.
Now you have a solid connection between both parts. Practice several patterns with pieces of string first. And wear vinyl gloves when applying the epoxy at a well ventilated area.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.