[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

le me has some questions. I put together parts for a pc i w

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: agprIZRg.jpg (36KB, 548x353px) Image search: [Google]
agprIZRg.jpg
36KB, 548x353px
le me has some questions.
I put together parts for a pc i would like to build. The last time I built a PC was 2005ish and at that time we discussed about AGP 8x slots. So I am having a hard time with graphics card and CPU choice

What do I need the PC for? I will run it with linux most of the time.
o) everyday occurrence such as watch TV and vids
o) I will run intensive statistics calculation to test before sending it to the computation center
o) I plan to to some video editing & transcoding
o) I will run it on windows for some games (racing games, GTA, x-plane simulator and Farming Simulator 17 (that's a thing in my country)
o) I will need to attach a conventional PCI card (yes, I got them, need them, when I grew up ISA slots were unbeatable)

This is what I picked: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yzpnyf

So basically I have four questions:
1. For the graphic cards I have two options: GeForce GTX 1080 or 1070. I read a lot, I still don't get it, both have the same 8 GB VRAM. I have no intentions in VR or 4k at the moment. Vendor claims "new" GDDR5X would increase memory clock, so what? Is it worth going for the 1080? seems a lot of money.

2. 6700K vs. 6700, worth?
I would pay manageable 30 bucks more for the 6700K, but I do not plan to overclock and I realised that the "maximum Turbo Boost" clock speed is about the same for both, while the advertised clock speed are 4.0 and 3.4, respectively. So which clock speed matters doing calculations? Will this be a advantage?

3. My mainboard will have 2 external USB 3 ports and some mainboards would offer like 4 or 6 such USB ports. But do I assume correct that these would share the same bandwidth so it's basically the same as a USB hub? I thought in most cases there are only two USB 3 controllers and therefore 2x all the full USB 3 speed, right? Back in my days, I was happy having a different USB controller for internal and external (USB 2.0 of course)

4. Will all play together?
imho yes

all input on this welcome, thx
>>
ok, gotit. But currently having an GeForce GT 530 1 GB and it sucks :(
>>
>>1094083
wrong board you fucking germ
>>
>>1094095
okay, sorry but nobody replies over there :(

also not german here, not gonna apologize for this!
>>
http://www.logicalincrements.com/
>>
>>1094103
thx, I'll have a look at that, looks promising
>>
>>1094083
>I will run it on windows for some games (racing games, GTA, x-plane simulator and Farming Simulator 17 (that's a thing in my country)
You dont need a 1070 or 1080 for that
Those games will easily run on a 1050
>>
>>1094126
ok thx, i'll take it as an option
>>
>>1094128
Not sure if money is a problem for you but you could also take a 970 or something similar and down The line pick up a second one
>>
>>1094126
GTA on full tilt is still pretty demanding. But most racing games and that farming sim are not. A 1080 is complete overkill for casual gaming, however it will have the most horsepower for computation work if his program is optimized for it.

1070 is good value for the money, and is basically the #2 best card you can get. >>1094103 is a really good site to help pick out parts. A 1070 would be a good buy, a 1080 is overkill but will last you a good long while. Alternatively, an Rx 480 is the best performance per dollar, however is about the same performance as a 1060. Two Rx480's will be similar performance as a 1080 for about $200 less. But you sometimes get problems when you have multiple cards.

6700k vs. 6700, the 'k' denotes that its got an on-board gpu which isn't very powerful, however the CPU is unlocked if you choose to overclock it. These processors are very easy to overclock as well. AMD makes decent CPUs that have better value, but intel has the performance crown.

Most boards have 2x USB 3.0 ports to reduce cost, and because nobody really gives a shit about USB 3.0 as most peripherals don't max out bandwidth on USB 2.0 yet. If you actually have something that needs higher throughput you can get a PCI x1 addon card for 4 more USB 3.0 ports.
>>
>>1094134
>>1094142
thank you. I will take the 1070 so I'll be fine in the future, also I will install a USB 3.0 PCI card I have one lying around.

No as for CPU, it will be either i5-6600K or i7-6700K. Now the difference in price is a lot (110 bucks) and the only differences are: base frequency: 3.5 GHz vs. 4.0, max turbo is ~4.0, 6 vs. 8 MB cache and hyperthreading.

So how will the increase in cache memory affect performance. Also, I thought the "max turbo" clock speed concept works like this: if not all cores need the base clock, they can give away some to boost the clock speed of one core (like 3 cores running lower than 3.5 => one core can go up to 4 Ghz). Is that correct. When I installed my P54CS in 1997 something, it had 133 Mhz no more, no less :)
>>
>>1094317
Encoding video and your statistics calculations should benefit from an i7's hyperthreading, which gives about a 30% bump in multithreaded applications. Keep in mind you'll need to buy your own CPU cooler with the K models, which adds at least $20-30 to the price.

AMD's new CPU reveal is a little over a week away, so it might be worth it to wait and see how good it is.
>>
>>1094317
Don't worry much about the cache, its not going to effect the average person. Max turbo is nice, but overall you'll rarely notice the boost in clock speed.

hyperthreading only helps if the specific program can utilize it properly. With so many quad cores being made, programmers are accounting for it to use more physical cores, and even more hyperthreading.

I bought the higher end i7 K model just to help future proof a bit; it was by no means $100 more in performance, however this is just how speed works; speed costs money and its always a diminishing return on investment. Spending an extra $200 at the $500 total price point will get a huge boost in performance. Spending an extra $200 at the $2000 total build price won't get you much.
>>
File: DSC00002_.jpg (231KB, 1200x799px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00002_.jpg
231KB, 1200x799px
>>1094344
>>1094408

oldfag OP here for the win, first of all thx for all the input, also on my threads in /g/

fyi
went for the
Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
Intel Core i7 6700K BOX
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G
solution
got all the pieces this evening & assembled it and it's running pretty fine so far, though I haven't plugged in the windows disk (yuck!!!!!)

to the fagot that ranted 'cause of nvidia, you're right but I made my choice and its running so good
all I had to do was
add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
apt-get update
apt-get install nvidia-375 nvidia-settings nvidia-prime
sudo prime-select nvidia
reboot

no black screen, no "northing's gonna work" but maybe this is because I am an linux oldfag, did read the fucking manual and know my shit.

also thx for all the fagotry and mobbing
>>
>>1095603
If you want to play gaymes with windows in a VM you should go for an AMD card, they still got PCIe pass through on their non professional cards enabled.
>>
>>1096043
Nvidia disabled that? What a bunch of retards.
>>
>>1096043
What the fuck are you talking about?
Proper GPU pass through has absolutley nothing to do with the GPU, its a motherboard and CPU deal.

Your mobo and CPU have to support IOMMU
The 6700k and his mobo both support Vt-d so he will be able to pass through any card fine.
>>
>>1096063
Intel had been disabling hardware passthrough technology in their i5 K processors to upsell people into i7s.
Just another shitty draconian practice that Intel does.
>>
>>1094083
Something to note. These consumer cards lock your double precision floating point operations down, often as low as 1/32 the speed of a normal float. Sometimes you can hack the drivers or fuck around with resisters to fix this and sometimes you cant. They do this to try and force people to buy the Enterprise cards that cost 10x for scarcely more ability because they are kikes and assume they can extort people who are interested in GPU compute.

What ever you do don't use CUDA, its the most kiky thing to exist sense Satan spawned the Jews.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.