[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup. I've never used MOSFETs, so I want to make sure I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 20161203_205437.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161203_205437.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Sup. I've never used MOSFETs, so I want to make sure I'm doing this right. I want to use an FQP30N06L N-Channel MOSFET to control an LED with a 74HC595 shift register. The LED draws 65mA at 12V and I want to only draw 6mA at 5V from the shift register.

I know the MOSFET is rated for 10V Vg, but there's a test condition on the datasheet for 5V. My questions are:
>Do I have the schematic right?
>Do I have the calculations right?
>Will 6mA at 5V be enough to pass 65mA at 12V through the MOSFET? >What about 195mA through the MOSFET?
>>
>>1093641
yeah that'll probably work. You sure your LED won't explode with 65 mA? That's kind of a lot of current for an LED. Your Ig calculation is wrong, it won't be 12v as the LED will drop probably 1 or 2 volts across it. rotate your picture next time, and >/ohm/
>>
>>1093641
Rg should have one end attached to gate and the other to ground. MOSFET gates float at high impedance so doing this pulls logic 0 to 0 V.
>>
I don't want to derail your thread but would you mind if I also post a mosfet circuit for people to figure out?
>>
>>1093667
I'll take a look
>>
Where are you getting IG from? MOSFET gate looks like a capacitor, your shift register output will charge it up.
>>
>>1093734
Ig is the current I want to draw from the shift register.
>>
File: aqdrwtdrsha.png (37KB, 662x502px) Image search: [Google]
aqdrwtdrsha.png
37KB, 662x502px
>>1093746
You don't really have to consider gate current (aside for gate leakage which you can ignore), just make sure that the output voltage from the shift register is higher than the Vt, which should be true as long as the Vdd for the register is appropriate. Also the resistor should probably be grounded on one end but it might stil work regardless.
>>
>>1093760
I do need to consider gate current, or at least the current drawn from the shift register. The 595 can only handle a max of 75mA total I believe. So I only want to pull 6mA per output. Thank you for your help.
>>
>>1094022
What he means. Is the MOSFET gate is floating, it is not connected to the rest of the transistor through a conduction path. This is how the device works, you bias the gate and it allows current flow between source and drain (in switch mode). So current is not going to flow into the gate. (Except for a small leakage current).
Your current draw as indicated by >>1093760 will be through R1
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.