[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /diy/, I always loved tamagotchis as a concept, but they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

Hello /diy/,
I always loved tamagotchis as a concept, but they are actually very shallow and quickly become boring.
I would like to make one by myself.
I was thinking I'd buy one and fill it with my own hardware and here comes the question:

Do you think it is possible to make such a small hardware by myself and if it is, what kind of software would be the best to use?

I assume you can't just "edit" the software in the original.
>>
>>1093274
>I always loved tamagotchis as a concept,
>but they are actually very shallow and quickly become boring.
>I would like to make one by myself.

you should see a psychiatrist
>>
>>1093279
>you should see a psychiatrist

I just like small consoles like gameboy, Tetris, arduboy,... and also tamagotchi.
>>
You could easily use a really small Arduino and a LCD display. The form factor would be awkward, but roughly the same size and if you have no experience with programming it would be pretty hard to make a tamagatchi clone
>>
>>1093359
So, do you think the best option for me would be buying Arduboy, learn some basic stuff, make few jumpman games and then, if I am good enough, try to make Tamagotchi clone?
>>
Bro learn ee and c, bingo tamagotchi.

On a side note i found out recently that my tamagotchi has a pretty rare shell which made me rather happy. Shame i cant find my other 3 tamagotchis (i gave them away?)
>>
>>1093369
>Bro learn ee and c, bingo tamagotchi.

How does this help me make pocket tamagotchi?
>>
>>1093779
C is a programming language. It's by far the most popular way to program the simple microcontrollers in devices like tamagotchis.

EE is electrical engineering.
>>
>>1093779
If you cant even see why ee and c would help you make an egg watch then this project is way beyond you
>>
One option for you might be to get one of these: https://www.arduboy.com/

Then you "only" need to write the software.
>>
>>1093786
OP is here -> x (300,000 km) what OP wants to do -> x
>>
>>1093837
that was terrible description but we all understand what you were trying to imply

>>1093817
I do understand. Before I started this thread, I really didn't know anything about making tamagotchi's but thanks to you guys I made small progress and now I know what I must do.

Yes, this project is beyond my skills, now.
I'll start with the C. Then I'll come again.

Also, I'm not completely untouched.
I know basic html and a bit of java.
I made a game in Twine once.
>>
>>1094298
90% of what you're going to be doing is looking up library functions and skimming datasheets
>>
>>1093279

Get fucked.

>>1093363

Pretty much, yes. This is actually a pretty solid beginner's project. I'd start by dividing it up into three parts:

First, design your tamagotchi clone. What inputs will you use, will it have a screen or audio ques? Do you feed it and if so how often? And so on.

Second, write a basic (e.g. console only, no graphics or audio) version of your game in a language you're familiar with. This will give you a feel for what needs to be done to make the game work, and since you're doing it on your computer it's much, much faster to compile, run, test and debug. If you don't know any programming languages, Python or C# would be a good bet, or even just plain old C (it'd be wise to learn to use gdb when you inevitably mess up).

Third, once you're satisfied, rewrite your game for an Arduboy or similar. You might even consider porting to a game console that's been hacked to support homebrew, like the DS.
>>
>>1093274

Not directly related, but this is the topic of easily the most /a/ presentation I've ever seen at a CCC: https://events.ccc.de/congress/2013/Fahrplan/system/attachments/2195/original/30c3_(1).pdf
>>
>>1094303
Holy shit, this is perfect.
>>
>>1094303
its cool that she did this but its nothing new really.

good references though
>>
>>1093359
Arduino will need a timekeeping module too. Screens come in all kind of sizes including those on that are on old phones like the nokia 3310.

OP why don't you just get a furby
>>
>>1093274
Software that requires constant attention or it will die? Consider installing Windows 10.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.