[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, I'm coming from /toy/ looking for answers. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 20161203_041707.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20161203_041707.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
Hey /diy/,

I'm coming from /toy/ looking for answers. I bought a lot of used lego months ago and some of the pieces were spray painted chrome. An anon told me to soak Simple Green for several days and it worked. Problem is there's still a cloudy residue where the paint once was. See pic. It's especially noticeable on the black pieces.

I tried soaking them a few more times, tried shaking up the green to make suds, tried brushing it off, and nothing worked. Is there a way to get the residue off or are they stuck like this?

tl;dr how do you strip spray paint off of ABS plastic without harming it?
>>
Paint over the residue if its on so well
>>
>>1093255
Maybe the simple green leeched some of the pigment out of the plastic, giving it the cloudy effect.

Dust it with black spray
>>
Naphtha / Lighter fluid / Acetone might work
>>
>>1093259
Or maybe the chrome paint discolored the plastic like that, chrome paint is notoriously difficult to make so they often include chemical agents to help it bond to surfaces, that may have discolored it.

If it is indeed just a residue though you could try sanding it off, then it would buff back up with some wet n dry afterwards
>>
>>1093259
>>1093261

I meant to say silver spray paint. I don't know if that makes a difference. I'm thinking it's not discoloration, but residual spray paint. With my fingernail or a toothpick, I can scratch some of it off, but it doesn't seem too effective and would take forever to do.
>>
I checked out the model painting thread on the /tg/ board and found out that Castrol Super Clean will take off the residue/primer without harming the plastic. I think there's my answer. Thank you all for your input.
>>
soak more
use heat LIGHT heat
use heavier chemicals (test them first with lego)
agitate the soak tank IE ultrasonic cleaner (WORKS LIKE MAGIC)
brush and scrub

>>1093260
>Acetone might work

will destroy it

>>1093282
>Castrol Super Clean

the purple shit is fantastic
>>
>>1093260
>>1093344
Just dampen a tissue or something and lightly brush with acetone
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.