[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the secret to getting plywood furniture to look good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

What's the secret to getting plywood furniture to look good? I've got some bedroom furniture pieces in mind that would only really work in blonde plywood, but I'm not sure if I can pull it off or not.

Is it just that you have to complete them to a high level of finish? Or do they only look good with hipstergram filters?
>>
it's going to look cheap regardless, best bet would probably be paint
>>
>>1093184
Rotary cut veener. Good edge banding, use solid wood, not that plastic shit like on prefab caninets.
>>
>>1093189
>>1093188
Sorry, I mean furniture where the plywood is left as is, excepting varnish or poly coats. I legitimately like the look of plywood as a material and I'm wondering if it's actually possible to make good looking furniture out of it or if it only really works in set-dressed photography.
>>
>>1093188

I... disagree.

There was a guy on here a while ago that featured furniture made from b grade ply, chip board, particle board... really sub par stuff for high end furniture. But, as he demonstrated, precise cuts, joints, and plenty of sanding, essentially treating the material like some valuable material, gave some pretty cool results.
>>
>>1093184

Make it out of solid hardwood instead
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (140KB, 600x416px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
140KB, 600x416px
>>1093194
>I legitimately like the look of plywood
>>
>>1093194

But the sides of the boards in your picture are clearly veneered.
>>
>>1093184
veneers like others have said
Use cabinet grade plywoods and experiment a bit. For expansive surfaces, nothing beats using cabinet grade plywood, namely because you don't have to fuck around with jointing, gluing, planing, sanding, or anything else.

For instance, for the piece in your picture, I'd use 1/2 or 3/4 Maple for the sides, hardwood maple for the legs and trim, and you'd get a similar look. Cover that exposed ply with the trim. That's why they make that shit.
>>
>>1093221
I mean, if you want to split hairs every piece of plywood is veneered.

>>1093194
The ply in the op looks like your standard fir ply, but it looks like sanded AB or AC. If you like it use it. Worst case scenario it looks like shit and you won't be able to change it. More than likely scenario it'll look like shit but you'll be able to fix it.

>>1093200
Smug azn guy sees your dubs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AddH8IgL7wY&t=9m52s
>>
>>1093184
Use only A or AB . Stick with birch or appleply.
>>
>>1093221
>what is a google thread image
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.