[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the BEST single thing you've purchased from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 29

File: IMG_0509.png (14KB, 250x160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0509.png
14KB, 250x160px
What's the BEST single thing you've purchased from Horrible Freight? Tell us what you bought that ended up being a slam dunk.
>>
File: IMG_0510.jpg (68KB, 1046x1043px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0510.jpg
68KB, 1046x1043px
>>1093039
I bought their blower and it's 10/10. Two speeds, more powerful and less expensive than ones at the big box stores. I used it for mulching once and it worked fine, idk how long the plastic fan would hold up to chopping stuff up in the long run. But as a blower it's been my best purchase so far
>>
>>1093039
Bought a 1500 watt generator 11 years ago. Still runs great and I get 10 hours on a single tank of gas.
>>
>>1093044

how much does this sell for...?
>>
Motion Sensor / Driveway Monitor...9 bucks
Works better than a 60 dollar unit I bought from another store
>>
80$ for the small 2 stage vacuum pump... I use it for fridge repair so I'm hardly stressing it out.. change the oil regularly.. still going strong after 5 years of use.
>>
>>1093044
30 bucks for the el cheapo at home depot. Forget the brand. How does it compare in price?
>>
>>1093039
Predator 212 motor. I abuse the crap out of it on a go kart, and 3 years later it's running fine—still starts on the first pull. My buddy's briggs and stratton takes a good 10 minutes to start and just loves to die on you. I can't believe the value for this damn motor.
>>
File: 95386.gif (56KB, 318x360px) Image search: [Google]
95386.gif
56KB, 318x360px
Got one of these
Expected it to last a year at most but its been about 5
>>
paint gun

used it many times with excellent results
>>
>>1093039
Best?
Composite Ratchet set, the cheap black and grey ones not the expensive red and black ones.

Worst?
I bought a benchtop drill press, it was more than rough around the edges. It was a lemon. I returned it.
>>
bought that cheap as shit all in one wrench thingy. its about the size of hockey puck, and a long the edges has holes for each size. cost me like 3 bucks and id r8 10/10
>>
>>1093098
Holy shit I pulled one of those out of the trash! Previous fucker had run it without oil and the pump was seized. I added oil and turned it over with a wrench and 7 years later it still runs.
>>
Coke out of the fridge. 10/10 didnt break
>>
It's really hard to choose between these three. All of them were gotten for right at about $130 on sales.

The drill press took a few returns to get one that was decent, I'll admit. But on the third one I got it was fantastic. Everything lined up perfectly. Zero runout. Works like a champ.

The 12" sliding miter saw is really nice too. I threw a diablo blade in it and it makes really great cuts. It was slightly off of 90 degrees when I unboxed it, but it was simple to fix and everything cuts amazing. There really isn't anything in that price range that will let you cut the size of material that that will.

The compressor I use constantly. I change the oil about every 3 months because I use it that much. I've had it for about 5 years now and I've never had an issue with it. It's got enough airflow to power a paint gun I have without having to wait for it to refill. I also use it with an air grinder I got a collet for to use with dremel attachments.

There's plenty of other stuff I've gotten that have been good. There's been some rubbish stuff too, but a lot of it really is pretty decent.
>>
Through hole ratchets

Generally any Pittsburg tools are great, and they all have lifetime replacement warranties so even if one were to break I'm covered
>>
>>1093039

things i use nearly every day:
6" digital calipers (the staineless steel ones). excellent for $10. i do have a nice boxed mitutoyo one but i use the other one for scribing/etc.

things i use once in a while:
flux core welder (modified with diode & inductor pack). repaired a lot of stuff with it & made tables - using lincoln wire though

resharpened tungsten carbide pcb drill bits - enough variety in pack to make the hole sizes i needed in fiberglass pc boards.

their smallest table top bench press - works great, even very little runout in the chuck (i guess i got lucky)
>>
>>1093039
One of the bigger air compressors, the $10 hvlp gun, the nitrile gloves when they're half price, the $8 breaker bar(I own 4).

I would say the metric 3/8th socket set I bought for $7, but it doesn't come with a 13mm and I bought it for car repairs when I have to go to a broke down car. I took an uncommon size out and put a 13mm in there, nbd.

Oh yeah, full size wood lathe is a dream.

Drill socket adapters that are like a dollar, wonderful as long as they don't get wet because they rust in 3.5 nanoseconds.

The $20 drill bit set that has like 35 different sizes is great for stuff that destroys drill bits, things you don't want to destroy your good drill bits on. They look like a the old machinest sets came in galvanized boxes, but I ended up using them a lot for wood too, they work well for that.

Pretty much all their clamps except the cheap squeeze clamps, especially the f and c clamps.

Their ball joint press.

Their pry bars.

Their sledge hammers, small and big, and their framing hammer.

They have a lot of garbage too.

Their chisels don't hold an edge or are very brittle, their adjustable wrenches are sloppy, their impact sockets can explode if you use them on an impact wrench(I personally have destroyed 4 from 2 different sets), I got a seal puller that broke first use without budging the axle seal, their channel locks break, their wire cutters deform along the cutting edge, and various other garbage.
>>
>>1093300

Yes. The Pittsburgh black powder coated sockets are one of my favorite purchases.

Another is the deep socket sets they make for shower cartridges.

Their vises have been hit or miss according to some but I hit on mine apparently.
>>
>>1093339
>Their ball joint press.
Hell yeah, that thing is so great. You just need to make sure you lube the threads.
Sometimes its a little hard to fit into kingpin suspensions
>>
>6 inch calipers
>clamps (except the plastic ones)
>step bits
>helping hands
>pick and hook set
>>
>>1093039
their little gas engines are fucking great for go karts.
>>
>>1093360
Seconding. I like their digital caliper too, I don't know how accurate it is cause I have nothing to compare it too, but I've used it to order replacement nuts and bolts online with no issue, also use it to check thickness of woods when using pretty squared lumber. Used it to prove to the epa that a piece of tubing on a sampling station was within regulation.
>>
>>1093190
Did you use the 20% off coupon? If not ur a fag
>>
The 4 1/2 and 7 inch angle grinders have been unstoppable for me.
>>
>>1093183
I got that for free last time I went in. It actually came in handy when my fucking dog ran off with the one wrench size I needed
>>
File: large_576_ElectronicScrewdriver.jpg (174KB, 700x343px) Image search: [Google]
large_576_ElectronicScrewdriver.jpg
174KB, 700x343px
10 pack of electrical tape
mini hex set
>>
File: image_12534.jpg (158KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_12534.jpg
158KB, 1200x1200px
This thing makes life so nice sometimes.
>>
>>1093098
I bought this exact one from harbor freight! That was 10 years ago and its still running perfect. And that is after spending about two years outside in the desert one time and an overseas move. Its just now showing a little wear but nothing i cant fix.
>>
>>1093438
>>fucking dog ran off with the one wrench size I needed
Im dying man! Kek
>>
File: 20161203_150844.jpg (3MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20161203_150844.jpg
3MB, 4032x2268px
$15 on black friday weekend
didn't know I needed it till I saw it and now I can't do without it
even has rubber covers for the pinchers so I don't damage boards I'm working on
>>
File: image_25033.jpg (47KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_25033.jpg
47KB, 1200x1200px
>>1093039
Clamps. Hands down.

I've picked up lots of other small tools there, and they more or less worked, if only for a limited time.

The clamps though, are great, and, very, very, cheap.
>>
File: 20161203_154117.jpg (3MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20161203_154117.jpg
3MB, 4032x2268px
>>1093496
sorry about that, meant to use this photo
>>
>>1093496
Thanks for this. I've got one of the Panavise ones, but it always slides around on my workbench. The vacuum base is brilliant.
>>
>>1093501
wow ok I'm not gunna try again
>>
Open box 20" drill press that they applied my 20% off coupon to. That mother fucker was $250 out the door.

4x6 horizontal bandsaw is also a fucking home run for around $200 with coupons. Mine was $187+tax when I got it.

The Pittsburgh Professional ratchets are also really nice for the price.
>>
>>1093526
>>
>>1093441
I dislike their electric tape, bad stick
>>
>>1093526
They had a drill press for sale on black Friday. I think it was a 6" for 60$. Perfect for me but they were out of stock sadly. Maybe next year!
>>
>>1093717
If it's the one I got its not worth it. The chuck on mine is horrible and inaccurate, it wobbles. And the table flexes.
>>
Only thing I bought from horrible fright in the past few years was a bearing separator for $10, had to grind the tapered section down with an angle grinder for it to fit. Total garbage.
>>
>>1093048
I got it for $40 with a coupon

>>1093088
If you're talking about the homelight blower it doesn't even come close. The Harbor Freight one is 375 CFM and 230 mph for $40, that's insanely good at that price point. It's a total champ 10/10 would buy again
>>
Drillmaster step bits are a great value at 3 for $15. They last forever if you don't abuse them.
>>
>>1093497
Only thing I don't like about their quick clamps is the plastic gearing. Tears up after repeated use. That said, the 12" ones like there are all of $1.25 each, and they usually last me more than a year, so it's worth it to replace as needed.
>>
>>1093879
Hell yes. I got the 1-1/2" one specifically to punch a hole through the side of a pressure cooker. Slapped it into my drill, kept a light water flow on it to keep it from overheating, didn't ride the drill and it went through. Figured the bit was shot, but ran my thumb over it and still managed to cut myself. Was barely worn. Amazing value.

That said, most of HF's bits blow and their grinding wheels too.
>>
>pittsburgh pro sockets
Impact and regular, for the price they can't be beat
>magnetic tip screwdrivers
I bought a set with round red and grey handles for flats, blue and grey for phillips, now I can't find another set. They're great, and they still are after beating on them for 3 years now at least.
>2lb engineers hammer
4 years old, professional use, perfect size for auto work

>pry bars
No good, handle broke and had 2/3 bend.
>1/4" Pitt pro short ratchet
Had one of the small torx screws fall out of the back first time I used it, it was kinda nice while it lasted, couldn't find the screw and now it's dead
>>
>>1094076
Are those impact sockets worth it? I have regular ones that are short and deep. I was thinking about buying a set of impact ones that are deep socket just to cover my bases but I feel like I could probably just use my regular ones, idk...
>>
>>1093392
Digital calipers are generally pretty damn accurate, even the cheap ones. I have a few cheap ones and then a nice Mitutoyo set, and they all read pretty much the same, although the Mitutoyo ones are obviously much more nicely finished, plus they don't drain the battery like the cheaper ones seem to, but then they cost 10x the price.
>>
>>1094496
They work well from what I've seen and done. One guy I used to work with had a no name 21mm and a regular pittsburgh 19mm socket that were completely shot when I started working at the place, and they were still being used daily when he left.
Get deep well sockets to go with your regular sockets. You'll need them, and eventually you'll want to ge some mid depth sockets as well. Buy it as you need it.
>>
>>1093392
I maintained and recorded calibration for about 20 of those calipers for a few years. Never had one mis-read more than .0015" over the whole range. Abuse did them in on several occasions, like getting dunked in MEK and broken battery covers. Ones that were cared for worked fine with daily use for the whole time.
>>
>>1093463
these are great
>>
>>1094496
The Impact sockets are fucking great
Do pay attention, they have 2 different tiers of them

Buy the CRO-Mo sockets, they are the more expensive of the two tiers.
Best value in the whole store

The CR-V impacts are crap.
>>
>>1093039
My father bought a maul from them about 15 years ago, and it still works pretty good today. It is not exceptional, but it has lasted and done a lot of work.
>>
>>1093039
I bought a desk drill press and that shit is so fucking awful when it reaches max depth it jerks the whole bit to the side like 1/6th of an inch and wrecks anything you're working on. Piece of ass.
>>
the little stand that holds my hvlp spray gun. best 10 bucks i ever spent there and I still had to modify it
>>
>>1093098
I, too, have one of those. Menards store brand rather than horrid fright but it's a champ.
>>
>>1093724
Same. Drill press makes triangular shaped holes. I've got an engineers hammer with chunks out of both faces too. 4.5in angle grinder gears stripped after about 4 uses. Hit and miss even on recommended products in my experience. The impact sockets seem to be universally recommended.
>>
>>1093047

>10 hours on a single tank of gas.

My 150kw SDMO generator gets 15 hours on a single tank of gas.
>>
>>1094912
>The impact sockets seem to be universally recommended.

Cro-Mo is vastly better than Cr-V for impacts.
Craftsman, Tekton and other low quality brands use CR-V for their impacts while costing double the harbor freight ones.

You can buy other budget Cro-Mo impacts like GearWrench or Sunex, but they cost literally triple and are most likely made in the same taiwanese factory.

Their relative price for the tool you are buying, they really are a good deal.
>>
>>1093497
Their quick-release clamps are crap.

Irwin Quikgrips piss all over these and they're hardly the best.

If you're going to go with Hodor Freight clamps, go with the screw type which would serve anyone well.
>>
Oldest HF tool I have is a compressor, 10 years and still going.

Second place is a sawzall, not the rotating handle BS one, just the simple sawzall. Great for demo.

>>1093497

Clamps as in this pic are terrible. Tried em, they break as soon as you put some real clamping force on them. The quick-slide bar clamps with screws for clamping pressure are great however.
>>
>>1094954
I have a full set of the Pittsburgh CrV impact sockets, which are half the price of the Pittsburgh Pro CrMo line. Why would they be better? My cheapo impact sockets have never failed on the job, and if they do, I could take the sockets back to the store and they would exchange them on the spot.
>>
>>1095133
Mo takes impacts better than V does, there is a reason that literally every single proper impact tool brand uses it.
Mo should last longer while having a thinner wall.

And of course being made in Taiwan vs China if you are into that whole thing.
>>
>>1093496
>>1093501
I've got a stanley hobby vice that clamps to my workbench, I like it a lot.
>>
>>1093496
>>1095171
Ive had one of these on my amazon wishlist for a few years and never ended up buying one
>>
File: IMG_2218.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2218.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
I just got a bench top belt sander for like $60. I haven't had a chance to use it but I think it will be a good tool. It's all stainless except for the fence and table and it has a decent motor. The first one I got vibrated badly with the disk on but I exchanged it and got a decent one.

I had to reposition the motor to fix belt tension, and one of the pulleys for the main sanding belt was off so the paper would slide into the edge. Basically had to disassemble most of the machine and rebuild it to get it all fit properly but it's good. Terrible QC but it's a lot of tool for $60.

>>1095117
I just bought a heap of those clamps and made a table with them. I think they are very good.
>>
Anyone ever have any luck with their cheapo 20~ dollar double action airbrush sets? I want one specific for spraying patterns of glaze for ceramics, so it'd be a pretty large needle size.
>>
File: 6397-A[1].jpg (44KB, 498x362px) Image search: [Google]
6397-A[1].jpg
44KB, 498x362px
>>1095182
>It's all stainless
Painted stainless. Right.

>terrible QC but it's a lot of tool for $60.
Picture related cost me $65 and it came with a ton of material for making sanding discs. It's a 12-inch disc and a 4-inch belt "finishing machine". Made in America.
>>
>>1095198
bleh I didn't mean stainless I meant steel, whatever

Cool that you found that in some dude's garage sale, but we can't all find what we need.
>>
>>1095199
Got it off Craig's List. I've only ever gotten had tools from them. Here is a list of everything I have purchased in the last 4 years. The formatting will be shit because it's pasted from a spreadsheet. Some duplicate machines I bought for spare parts, their accessories (motors, stands, faces, guards, etc), others because I needed a second of that type so I wouldn't have to change my setups so much between jobs. Still others because they were better than what I had already. A few because they were dirt cheap and came with a rack of blades, bits, belts, etc that would fit my existing machines.

Make Model Machine Vintage Price
Buffalo Forge Model 15 Drill Press 1936-1955 $50.00
DeWalt Power Shop 1400 Radial Arm Saw ≈1962 Free
Frank N. Wood Tru-Cut Model B-10 Armature Lathe Unknown $40?
Rockwell/Delta 34-338 Table Saw ≈1973 $50.00
Walker-Turner BN560 Band Saw ≈1938 $140.00
Powr-Kraft/Duro FD2355B Scroll Saw ≈1952-53 $40.00
Craftsman/Atlas 101.06241? Lathe ≈1937-38 $85.00
Craftsman/Emerson 113.27701 Table Saw ≈1954 $20.00
Craftsman/King-Seeley 103.20620 Jointer ≈1960's $40.00
Craftsman/Atlas 101.03580? Drill Press 1936-38 $45.00
Rockwell/Delta Homecraft 34-110 Table Saw 1953 $18.22
Delta/Milwaukee 31-700 Sander 1964 $65.00
Craftsman 397.19580 Bench Grinder ≈1960s $77.74
Craftsman 103.0103 Band Saw ≈1930s $35.00
Powr-Kraft/Dremel TDR2354 Scroll Saw $8.06
Powr-Kraft/Magna? Scroll Saw ≈1950s $30.00
Craftsman/Atlas Table Saw ≈1940s $25.00
Rockwell/Delta 900 Radial Arm Saw $50.00
Craftsman/King-Seeley Model 100 Table Saw $50.00
Delta 1200 Scroll Saw 1936-39 $100.00
Delta 11-120 Drill Press $15.00

Notice that the total price is under a grand. That's spread over 4 years. Not a single one of these machines is younger than I am. Some have me beat by 50 years or so. If you keep an eye out you find shit. If you are willing to wait a few months something will turn up. No need to buy garbage tools.
>>
>>1095207
All I've bought from HF is clamps and a sander. I bought my table saw NIB off ebay and the chop saw off CL. The sander is not that bad.
>>
>>1095213
Oh, yeah, I forgot I also bought a random orbit sander from them but it was cheap as fuck.
>>
>>1093496
>>1093501

>was at harbor freight couple of weeks ago
>didn't see this

Do you happen to have link to it? Maybe I can see if its available in my area.
>>
>>1095225
GOOGLE IS HARD

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-3-4-quarter-inch-articulated-vacuum-vise-3311.html
>>
The only thing I've bought from them that wasn't a piece of shit was a sledge hammer. But then, you can't really get a sledge hammer wrong. It's just a big ass chunk of steel on the end of a stick.
>>
Ultrasonic (really, vibratory) parts cleaner. Works great with Pine-Sol for cleaning carbs.
>>
>>1093169
My professional painterbro buys HF guns and throws them away instead of resealing expensive Binks guns. He saves the paint cups for convenience.
>>
A floor jack bought years ago that is still holding up. For anyone saying it's not safe, only retards don't put in jack stands before working under a car
>>
>>1095496
The only problem I have with the hobo freight jack is the seal that keeps it up.
I have 2 and both lower, one can keep it up for about an hour, and the other can only stay up for about 10 minutes

They can lift just fine, and im pretty sure the fix will be pretty easy but I cant be assed.
>>
>>1093095
Aren't predators built by Honda or at least using their design?
>>
>>1095511
I bought a floor jack from harbor freight, and nowi m nervous to use it. i guess if it holds long enough for me to put jack stands underneath, then cool.
>>
>>1095525
Lifans (and a few other names) are direct Honda GX200 clones.
As in every single piece is interchangeable.
Harbor freight used to carry these with their own name. They were blue and called Greyhounds.

Once they changed over to the Predator name, they found someone else to make the engines and started tweaking the designs.
They are no longer internally identical to a honda, but its still very close. You can still throw on some stuff like carb/air filter/gas tank/flywheel and other stuff. Im not sure exactly what has been changed.
>>
File: $_3.jpg (16KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
$_3.jpg
16KB, 500x500px
I bought a set of obstruction wrenches from them.
Niche product at an unbeatable price that does the job.

I also have their brake runout measurement kit, and it works pretty alright all things considered. I can replace the dial if it gets sticky.
>>
>>1095580
I know that the output shafts on the predator engines have ball bearings instead of sleeves like honda.
>>
>>1095577
Honestly I wouldnt even trust the most expensive of jacks since no matter the brand all thats holding that big ass machine from crushing you is a 2 cent O ring.
>>
>>1093497
Those clamps suck for any real work.

I buy their plastic bins for garage storage. The predator 6 he engine is cheap and awesome.
>>
Probably the meglinator. It does each of it's multiple functions pretty poorly, but it is pretty convenient (as far as not having to transport multiple different tools around goes).

It's also great for lending to friends so they don't fuck up my good tools.
>>
>>1095625
STARTLINGLY LOUD!
>>
>>1095597
Yep never trust them no matter the brand. I usually use a stick or something to slide stands under
>>
I bought a wire brush, lasted a few weeks before the wires started falling out rapidly. That is the best thing they have sold me
>>
>>1095606
>Those clamps suck for any real work.
What do you consider real work? I use them too and so far I've cracked one by going full mongo. Other than that they pretty much hold thing to other thing nicely. Of coarse I use them in a home shop, if I buy something that my work depends on I don't mind spending real money.
>>
>>1093039
Brake bleeder kit. Makes it a cakewalk.

Also the drum brake tool set. I feel sorry for the poor bastard who does drum brakes without the spring tools.
>>
>>1094496
Easily best tool in the store
>>
>>1096007
Im a different anon, but I have had 2 of them break on me. And I could never get them to clamp hard enough.

I love blue screw clamps, fuck the quick release ones
>>
>>1096003
Church, their wire brushes finished a bench project for me but I had to go through a few. The wires fell out like crazy and they're annoying af to remove from your clothes. That being said they got the job done. But pretty much disposable stuff
>>
File: Harbor Freight Trolls.png (14KB, 250x158px) Image search: [Google]
Harbor Freight Trolls.png
14KB, 250x158px
>>1093039
>>
File: harbor freight trolls.jpg (40KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
harbor freight trolls.jpg
40KB, 512x512px
>>1093039
>>
File: 1464845506821.jpg (632KB, 786x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1464845506821.jpg
632KB, 786x1024px
Just got this mailer today have decided what im gonna get yet
>>
File: image_23588.jpg (126KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_23588.jpg
126KB, 1200x1200px
>>1093039
Got my old man an aluminum motorcycle lift:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-atv-motorcycle-lift-60636.html
>>
>>1093039
My 110 volt spot welder hasn't shit the bed yet.

Good enough to fix a tool box and weld the rails into a few AK receivers.
>>
I bought their electric HVLP Sprayer about 10 years ago. You have to learn how much to thin your paint but the finish is great. I've used it about 30 times. The hose is less flexible but it hasn't broke. I also ordered a new intake tube (lost mine) from China and HF was awesome about getting me that small plastic tube. It took about 8 weeks to get it.
>>
>>1093039
Jack stands for my heep.
>>
>>1093039
I bought a ratchet from them once. Im a maintenance mechanic so all my tools are under constant stress, that rachet has served me well for about a year now.
>>
File: IMG_0659.jpg (224KB, 1062x1062px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0659.jpg
224KB, 1062x1062px
>pic related
How the hell has no one mentioned their toolbox yet? I've had their black 3 tier toolbox for about 3 years now and she's a total champ. I just can't justify spending a bunch of money on a toolbox so I bought a cheap one (it was $150 with the coupon) and used the extra cash to buy more tools. My garage was a mess at the time but this was the only pic I could find. Was building a shed and shit, I'll throw up a thread about that later
>>
>>1096747
At previous job i used my key shaped mini machete all the time for opening boxes. Ended up buying a few more, doubling the price and selling to coworkers who didnt know any better.

My best purchase is either the 9k lb electric winch, i mounted to my flatbed trailer, 44" toolbox set or the 2 ton rapid pump long reach low profile steel floor jack.
>>
Dem ratchet straps tho. $7 for 4 what a deal
>>
>>1093463
Mine fused to the top of my plastic sorter. You know, those plastic chests of columns and rows of plastic drawers...
>>
>>1093976
Is it already time for the Boston Marathon?
>>
File: image_10461.jpg (22KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image_10461.jpg
22KB, 500x500px
Bought the heavy duty impact wrench. Strong, and has never given me problems.

Their magnetic LED lights with hooks work great, my friend got some for free, and we use it a lot when working on his car.

One of my favorites is the digital multimeter that I got for free once. I use it all the time, works great. Seems very accurate. I think it's like $6 if you buy it. Totally worth it.

My other favorite thing is their digital torque adapter. HotRod tested it and it came within 0.10 ft/lb accuracy. I used it to build my engine a year ago, I've put 10k miles on it so far with no problems, so I'm sold. Eats up batteries though, so buy a cheap bundle of batteries off Amazon or eBay.
>>
>>1095496
I have 2 floor jacks, and they're holding up great. Basically all my friends have one and they're all working great.

My friend's Harbor Freight engine hoist is over 5 years old, and always sat outside in the rain and sun. Recently the top seal finally died so we went to the local hardware store and bought a new o-ring. We just used it to pull a friend's engine out last weekend.
>>
Best buy for the money, the 33 ft push/pull rod set for $10. A comparable set is 60-80 at home depot. I run cable semi professionally and have had the expens ones. They break, get lost walls, and I get mad. The harbor freight set, one gets broken or dropped down a wall, I shrug and grab another. Took three maybe four sets to last me the year, running cable at least 3 days a week.
>>
>>1096747
What free coupons did it come with? I got the 3'x11.5" tarp.
>>
>>1093039
Probably a three way tie between the Predator vertical shaft engine (light, reliable, runs like a top), the 30 gallon single stage air compressor (it just works. All the time), and the Earthquake XT 1/2" impact gun (really strong, works much better than I expected). I got all of them on sale for around 1/3 the price of a comparable name brand or less.

I was always dismissive of Harbor Freight, but if you're picky and do a little research there are some terrific tools there.

I also have their double bevel miter saw that I used the heck out of, but the laser guide keeps loosening up and wandering and it's cost me a miss-cut or two, and it needs a better blade straight out of the box, so I didn't include it, but it was still a steal.
>>
>>1093171
Also bought a benchtop drill press. Was also lemon. Still in basement. No buy harbor freight drillpresses.
>>
>>1097695
>My friend's Harbor Freight engine hoist is over 5 years old, and always sat outside in the rain and sun. Recently the top seal finally died so we went to the local hardware store and bought a new o-ring. We just used it to pull a friend's engine out last weekend.

If the cylinder ever dies you can extend the rod then drop a piece of steel pipe over it to keep it extended. I welded two straps to the end of my hoist so I can drape a comealong cable over a pulley bolted between them. I get more range reaching into engine bays with a cable.
>>
File: lathe-1.jpg (160KB, 960x863px) Image search: [Google]
lathe-1.jpg
160KB, 960x863px
>>1093039
>What's the BEST single thing you've purchased from Horrible Freight?
12x36 engine lathe i bought in 2001
>>
I bought a 1/2" drive torque wrench 20-150 lb-ft back in 2005 and only used it about once a month but I needed a larger one so for giggles I test old to new and it was only off by 6 lb-ft not bad for as many times as I have used it (read dropped it) over the years.
>>
>>1098113
Just bought the girlfriend one for making jewelry. Mostly drilling brass. I was expecting to have to go through 2-3 to find a decent one. Lucked out on the first try. None of the common issues.
>>
File: harbor-freight-coupon-batteries.jpg (56KB, 320x292px) Image search: [Google]
harbor-freight-coupon-batteries.jpg
56KB, 320x292px
Are you allowed to print these coupons or do you need one from an add?

I got one of these stores near me and I would love to pick up a pack of batteries every day after work.
>>
>>1093497
Eh I have that exact clamp, will never buy again. It is GARBAGE compared to an irwin.
>>
>>1099663
bought one of those once, every fucking one of em didnt work for shit
>>
The 42" rolling toolbox is great for the price. I repair GSE equipment for Delta and tons of guys have them, better than giving the Snap-On man 3k. Also, their wobble sockets are a god send.
>>
>>1093693
I'm no connoisseur of electrical tape, but it's the second best I've found.
>>
>>1099705
Ive never actually used Harbor Freights tape, but ive used just cheap tape from walmart and the dollar store.

I recently bought some 3m electrical tape, holy fuck I will never touch cheap electrical tape again.
I cant imagine Harbor Freights tape being any better than other generic tape
>>
>>1093039
floor jack, $25 if I remember
>>
>>1097693
Get the HF free batteries with coupon if it doesn't NEED alkaline.
>>
>>1099671
They're low output batteries. Good for remotes and non-backlit LCDs like clocks and weather stations or simple low-draw setups like a low volume radio. Not something I'd use for a flashlight or radio controller.
>>
>>1099709
As an electrician we use 3M all the time, except winter. It works flawlessly but in the cold it turns to shit. At that point we use Scotch brand. More expensive but does the job well in the frigid cold. Cust gave us HF roll once after he realized he couldn't do electric work. Tried it out and threw it away. It was that bad.
>>
File: 1471569975525.png (548KB, 800x649px) Image search: [Google]
1471569975525.png
548KB, 800x649px
>>1099075
You fucking slob.
>>
File: hazardFraughtTools3.jpg (699KB, 781x1024px) Image search: [Google]
hazardFraughtTools3.jpg
699KB, 781x1024px
>>1096747
I got this one
>>
>>1097173
Their cabinet toolboxes are made from the same components that are used in Snap-On's.

Fun fact: Snap-On's bigass tool chests, proudly assembled in Algona, Iowa, had always used foreign made components. Until 2012, they used components fabricated in Nova Scotia, made by Stanley. That same factory assembled the components for US General and exported the whole chest (HF's label for these.) When the Stanley closed that plant and shipped it to China, so did the US General contract. Same setup, but with China being the point of origin.
>>
>>1100403
Im sure you have a source for this?
Seeing how nobody can accurately figure out the OEMs for most of Snap On outsourced tools because of NDAs
>>
>>1099959
...Scotch is made by 3M...
>>
Bought the 36 inch pipe wrench as a white elephant gift for my in laws.. (they do A white elephant gift exchange every year). They're all lawyers and white collar folks... I strongly suspect that the 36 inch pipe wrench is the perfect mix of heavy for its size and useless to them to be perfect for this application, and with the 20% off coupon it was under the 20$ gift limit. They tend to think the heavier gifts are nicer as well so this should be pretty fun since they usually do this weird barter/swap thing with the gifts
>>
>>1100475
3M has like 15 different types of electrical tape
Their more standard ones are under the 3M name.
The extreme temperature and higher end ones are under the scotch name.
>>
>>1093098
My dad baught one similar to that about 10 or 11 years back, still works...
>>
>>1093501
>>1093496
ay, i've got the same one! i took the rubber suction base off of it and screwed it into my work desk instead. very useful.
>>
File: IMGP9721.jpg (752KB, 1355x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP9721.jpg
752KB, 1355x2048px
3450 RPM electric buffer. had it for a year so far and it still hums like an angel. this thing's the bee's tits.
>>
>>1100985
My dad baught one similar to that about 10 or 11 years back, still works...
>>
The Diablo air hose works pretty good. Picked up fifty foot of 3/8" hose for $16 with the coupon
>>
When I was in high school I worked with a blacksmith who exclusively purchased Pittsburgh locking pliers and clamps. His reasoning was that he could order them in bulk, then not give a shit when he ended up accidentally welding them to things or ruining the heat treatment on the springs with prolonged exposure to heat.
>>
>>1103723
Perfect example of why sometimes it's better to buy cheap and practically disposable tools. I know I'm gonna keep losing screwdrivers so I buy a bunch of cheap ones and just keep them in a bag in my truck.
>>
>>1093039
Ruber wheel chock
Counter bore set.
>>
Im going to buy their portable band saw and build a table for it in the next day or two.
I finally got a mailer which had coupons on it. (anyone else notice they are being stingy with coupons as of recent?)

Im hoping it lasts a while
>>
>>1104242
I'm a mail carrier, this year they've become a little thinner and pruned some people from their list.
>>
>>1093397
Not to mention your free mini LED flashlight.
>>
>>1093039
Best tool, hands down, was a $10 aluminum polishing set. I had never polished anything I cast before, and this worked like fucking magic. It turned a part I'd sell for $20 into a $100 part in a half hour.

There are better tools, but I wouldn't have spent the money to buy them.

I also have their step drills (don't drop em).
A 3/4" masonry drill. The bearings make a grinding noise now, but I've drilled over 100 1"dia 3" deep holes with it. I'll replace it with another when it dies.
>>
>>1104242
Their "coupons" have been a little more expensive lately. I always compare them to older deals and I've noticed their toolbox >>1097173 was at $169.99 when you can usually get the coupon for $159.99 or less. Anytime I see a page of coupons where the price of one is a little more expensive then normal I just assume that's a shitty flyer and just throw it away and wait for another one.

Side note, I always use CouponShy to look at all their coupons at once -

http://couponshy.com/harbor-freight-coupons-promo-codes/
>>
>>1104242
Well I bought the portable bandsaw.
Made a little wooden stand and table for it.

I made about 10 cuts less than 20 minutes of cutting in like 3/16 steel.
It cuts really well, but one of the guide bearings broke in half already.

I havent decided if im going to go exchange it, or keep it and call the company to get a new bearing.
>>
>>1093039
I bought a fan torch from them for $25 seems to not be a piece of shit.
>>
File: IMG_1035.jpg (15KB, 400x162px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1035.jpg
15KB, 400x162px
>>1093048
More than you can afford pal, Ferrari.
>>
3gal compressor. Have had it for years. No maintenence. No hiccups.
>>
File: image_23958.jpg (151KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_23958.jpg
151KB, 1200x1200px
>>1097173
I use the 56 in us general that harbor freight sells. I'm actually impressed with it, i can compare it to a snap on.
>>
>>1106728
Is the top sturdy? Do you have a top chest on it?
>>
4" angle grinder I got in 2002 for about $14. Toe kick saw that's saved me countless hours on floors. Step drill set. Pipe threader. 2 quart pressurized spray gun.
>>
>>1108334
Question on the angle grinder:

I need one to use as a beater. Something to really dig into thick metal or anything else I don't want to hurt my Makita on. Will it do the job? Are the HF disks worth it?
>>
>>1108334
>4" angle grinder I got in 2002 for about $14
that reminds me - i need to find the extra brushes they put in the box, mine are about worn out

>>1108532
what do you mean thick metal? use decent quality discs ( this means don't use harbor freight consumables )
>>
>>1108538
Something my grinder is probably going to get stuck in. I'm going to put it through the ringer. Hard to explain- but I've burnt out tools before by working the motors too hard.
>>
>>1104715
It started smelling like an inflatable pool when I was using it, so I exchanged it...

The new one is louder and higher pitched, is getting hot (The other one didnt, but no smell funnily enough), and in general feels like its weaker than the first one. It bogs down.

Also I put them in a small stand to stand it up as a bandsaw, when it runs with no load it creeps up and runs away until its running at full speed. You have to fiddle with the variable speed to get it to slow back down.

I returned it for a refund.
Ill buy a used one from a good brand
>>
>>1108532
I've used it to cut rebar and grind down concrete. It's been underwater several times with no ill effects.
>>
>>1108589
maybe learn to cut
>>
-- Mid-size arbor press (1/2 ton maybe?) works fine, and you can drill holes in the base to accept your own attachments without ruining an expensive tool
-- The long aluminum bar clamps work good
-- Cheap mallets and soft faced hammers
>>
>no
>>
>>1093496
yeah, I have two of these exact same vises. I took the rubber base off of one and mounted it with a single bolt sunk under the ball pivot, they are great
>>
File: IMG_1129.jpg (137KB, 1020x1139px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1129.jpg
137KB, 1020x1139px
>stores in town are sold out of pic related
>order online no problem
>label created but shipment not moving for the last 3 days
>call to see wtf happened
>item is back ordered until May

Kill me plz
>>
>>1093098
Don't forget to drain your air compressor at least once a year. Water builds up inside because compressed air condenses. Water inside the tank = rust which can cause the tank to become weak and explode. It takes all of 60 seconds, just do it every year at Christmas
>>
>>1095198

You can't compare a 60 year old machine you picked up second hand with something bought brand new from a discount DIY store.

The majority of tools made in that era were far higher quality, but it would likely have cost the same as you paid for it new, sixty years ago!
>>
File: image.jpg (168KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
168KB, 1200x1200px
Worth it.
>>
>>1109531
>back ordered in store and online
>go to store week later
>see stacks of 'back ordered' product at higher price
assholes
>>
>>1099075
>empty beer bottles next to an engine lathe
wew lad
do you enjoy having arms
>>
File: image_21602.jpg (63KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_21602.jpg
63KB, 1200x1200px
Digital Calipers. Very handy and accurate.
>>
>>1094932
different tank sizes you idiot
>>
>>1093463
Love them too, the base became unglued after heavy use at work. Just added a strong epoxy
>>
300-odd piece Pittsburgh socket set. Only broke two sockets in the last eighteen months of wrenching, shit holds up. Came with torx bits and shit too
>>
>>1093039
>belt sander. that thing is a tank
>biscuit jointer. no problems so far
>palm sander.

worst purchase:

>23ga pin nailer. looking back, it might have been the nails that were the problem...they were held together with a thick glue. bought a porter cable pin nailer, used the harbor freight nails and it jammed just as frequently. bought bostich pin nails and i've never had a problem with the porter cable.

i didn't test this theory, though. ymmv.
>>
>>1110195
This. Quick google-fu says that's a 1970 model disc sander, ran $99 new in that year. In today's dollars, that's $620, which is about what it would cost for an equivalent one now.

You getting it for $65 means you got it cheap. Most places would retail that second hand at $200 or more.
>>
I got this OBD2 reader. Works great for working on the family cars.
>>
File: s-l225.jpg (9KB, 169x225px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
9KB, 169x225px
>>1111124
shit... forgot the pic
>>
Honestly, I haven't trusted them with much but I bought a few of these small storage units and they are surprisingly good. Some of their other storage bins are garbage I wouldn't trust any but this one.
>>
>>1093039
Their airbrush cleaners are pretty good.
Their gloves are pretty good
>>
>>1097681
Lulz
>>
>>1099663
You can pull the coupon up on your phone from their website and they'll accept it.
>>
An angle grinder, tried very hard to burn it out the first day. Still going two years later.
>>
>>1093441
I should have gotten my security bit set at Harbor Freight because I need it, but use it so little and so gently. Instead, I went full brand whore and got the Klein model.
Thread posts: 184
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.