[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just got a model CECHA01 Playstation 3. From what I can tell,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: oqensqs4pou5pejp7qq6.jpg (26KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
oqensqs4pou5pejp7qq6.jpg
26KB, 800x450px
I just got a model CECHA01 Playstation 3. From what I can tell, the lifespan of these things are really short due to the cheap lead-free solder cracking from repeated exposure to high temps and then cooling down again. Would it be a better idea just leaving the console on indefinitely so the system never cools completely? Or is using the machine at all just going to wear down the joints anyway? Do PS3s even break down as much as people say they do?
>>
>>1092626
Not completely sure if this is the same one I had, but the shape is identical. Yes, it did eventually give me the "yellow light" making it unusable. My dad opened it up and gave it a once over with a heatgun and it seemed to temporarily fix it. Not sure what was happening specifically. Haven't touched it since.
>>
>>1092626
Yeah sounds like a great idea why not just leave it in the oven too.
It makes more heat under load doing intensive operations so there will still be thermal cycling.
I would suggest you have a look to see if anyone has come up with any mods to keep it cool, replacing the fan or drilling holes I guess, Peltier cooler or some shit.

Maybe something as simple as putting it on its side or packing the feet to let more shit circulate around it, giving it a good dust maybe.
>>
damn europeans and rohs compliance
>>
from an automation perspective

i fucking hate lead free solder
>>
>>1092626
If you buy it just replace the thermal paste. Make sure to do it correctly and not that MSI bullshit
>>
>>1092959
I wouldn't unless it actually starts overheating. It's a giant pain in the ass to disassemble and there's the risk of damaging it when you try to remove the heat sinks.
>>
>>1092626
This is a first revision of PS3, yeah they tend to fail over time. The failure rate for these things was >30% iirc (and >60% for first gen X360 due to poor cooling/engineering).
>>
Not sure if this helps but I bought an old gen ps3 and the disk reader stopped working within two weeks of having it. Have to send it back and get that fixed, just been too lazy.
>>
>>1092626
Yes. I've had to fix mine 3 times now, using a heat gun method to reflow any solder.
It's crazy that it works. But so far it's only a temporary fix. Even with new thermal paste. I don't even tighten the screws at this point.
>>
>>1092626
I believe this one had the power converter inside of it. So you can start by removing that and placing it outside of the case because it generates a shit ton of heat. I believe there are after market cords sold on ebay that can replace the cord/power converter because they have the adapter built into the cord. That way you could leave the brick adapter in the system in case it has some kind of effect on air flow.

The fan is blowing air into the bottom of the console and it pushes out towards the vents on the sides. So if you cut a hole in the bottom piece, put some kind of fine mesh filter for keeping dust down, and keep your system on it's side while playing, then it should have better air flow and keep it from heating up as much as it would.

Besides those two things which are fairly simple, there is probably other cooling mods that replace the heat sink with a liquid cooled version, or maybe just an addon of some kind. It would be difficult to replace the heatsink because the entire system is designed together in a way to make each piece geometrically made for the system, as opposed to the 360 which is more "pc build" like that leaves plenty of space for after market mods. PS3 is tight and fucking annoying to take apart.
>>
>>1092977
This. Sony seems to design their stuff with the purpose of keeping people from being able to easily disassemble and mess around with (I think it's a Jap thing). It isn't made like any other standard heatsink/cpu on mobo comination I've ever seen before, and it is a pain to remove and put together again.

If it's working fine now, your better off keeping the heatsink attached, and instead modding around it. A vent for air flow at the fan location is a good idea. So is removing internal power adapter or replacing it/the cord with an external cord/adapter. That should reduce temps by ~20C easily.

But in the long run, ya, not letting it cool down from it's max operating temp to quickly would be a good idea. Leaving it on all the time has it's own problems, so I wouldn't suggest that. If you jailbreak it, instal heat measuring app, then check your max operating temp, you can get a good idea at the difference between your room temp and the cpus temp. A large difference should be avoided, so trying to decrease operating temp or increase room temp are your main concerns (obviously both have their own limitations and room temp also effects the systems ability to dissipate heat, so they are not disconnected variables).
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.