[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/diy/, I want to be able to plug my electric guitar into the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (34KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
34KB, 1280x720px
/diy/,

I want to be able to plug my electric guitar into the mic input of my laptop.

Now I've looked around and the way that I understand it is that the guitar is a high impedance input which doesn't work well with the mic input.

So I'll either need an active DI Box but I haven't seen a simple schematic for that.

I have found however a preamp schematic which outputs at line-level.

Can I just use the preamp schematic and add a voltage divider at the output (pad) so that the line-level output becomes mic-level?

This is all new to me but I'm willing to learn.
>>
>>1092065
You can try a simple aop preamp. Quite easy to do, It s linear enough
>>
>>1092065
This is a good page.
Impedance matching isn't a huge deal for audio.
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/6846/how-important-is-impedance-matching-in-audio-applications

A preamp sounds like a good idea. A Mic In isn't designed to amplify a guitar and would probably be lousy at it
>>
I used to do this but I plugged my guitar into my amp, then ran a line from my amps headphone jack into my laptops mic input. So if you have an amp already it should work. Now I just use a Tascam interface
>>
>>1092072
>>1092074
>>1092075

Thanks for the replies so far.

I did plug my guitar straight into the mic input to test and it worked (alright sound quality but low input volume), but I was worried that it would fry my sound card.

So do I have to take the line-level output of the preamp into consideration, by lowering the output voltage?
>>
File: 1433902576421.png (244KB, 446x486px) Image search: [Google]
1433902576421.png
244KB, 446x486px
>>1092074
I indeed fried my motherboard line in and mic input doing this shit, even tho i did it with a gigantic 6 string chinese bass that could allegedly power a small speaker with its output level. So don't do it anon.
If you plan to build a preamp go the opamp route, i built the three most popular bjt designs and two sounded like shit, while one had a lousy beeping background noise.
With that money you could just buy a behringer premade one with four inputs tho. Whatever floats your boat anon
>>
just get a rocksmith usb cable much better
and easier
>>
File: 1480549399428.jpg (41KB, 414x518px) Image search: [Google]
1480549399428.jpg
41KB, 414x518px
>>1092065
they make this thing so must be some kind of circuit needed (not a simple passive circuit)
>>
http://www.planetz.com/building-an-idevice-guitar-interface-cable/
>>
>>1092084
I tried this, plugging the guitar directly, with a software preamp to amplify the sound. If you're on Linux, try Guitarix.
>>
Could try a sm2 or sm22 Beringer. Not expensive and work well
>>
>>1092422
Not diy I know but you should use your energy doing pedals. Much more satisfying than doing a shitty preamp. Also better recording
>>
>>1092084
>I did plug my guitar straight into the mic input to test and it worked (alright sound quality but low input volume), but I was worried that it would fry my sound card.
how in the hell would you be able to fry a soundcard with the >1 volt signal generated by a passive pickup?
>>
>>1092065
you could buy the rocksmith cable. though the latency can be a bit bad.
not a problem if you just want to record, but if you want to use your laptop as a soundsource to play after, you're gonna have a bad time. (my biggest problem with the game itself, latency issues on several machines.

a simple preamp should fix any impedance problems.
all boss pedals are buffered, so they will fix the issue even if you have them 'bypassed'
or you could get a neutral effect, e.g. a boost pedal.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.