[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quick question, how hard is it to fish an ethernet cable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 20160823_212732.jpg (87KB, 473x381px) Image search: [Google]
20160823_212732.jpg
87KB, 473x381px
Quick question, how hard is it to fish an ethernet cable through a wall?
>>
Depends on your wall.
>>
>>1092060
why not just run it on your ceiling like me?
>>
>>1092060
quick answer, it can be easy, it can be hard, it depends.

what a stupid thread.
>>
One of the best /diy/ things my dad taught me was fishing a wire through a hole.
do you have a dad?
>>
File: pepe laughing 2.jpg (27KB, 399x385px) Image search: [Google]
pepe laughing 2.jpg
27KB, 399x385px
>>1092064
>>
>>1092060
how big is your hammer?
>>
>>1092060
Depends if theres a fireblock, insulation, pipes. This question is way too vague.
>>
>>1092060
solid wall?
lump hammer, cold chisel OR rotary hammer with sds chisel...smash big hole where you want the cable to go.
put the cable in, cover it with capping if you want i guess, stops plaster monkeys slicing through it. if you are smart you put in a conduit and then draw the cable theough it so you can pull another cable later on. then mix up some plaster and make good the hole. paint with really watery paint for a base coat, plaster soaks up paint like a motherfucker. or wallpaper i guess. or put up a big mirror.
if your walls are hollow
if its a stud wall then you need to drill holes through all the studs and pull cable through. if you are going up and down the way then you will need to drill through noggins instead of studs.
if you have access from above by lifting floorboards or below i guess if you don't have a ceiling lol then you can drill from there or you can smash holes in your wall and drill at an angle.
if its lathe and paster then same thing kind of except a bit of a cunt to repair the lathe.
if you live in a house that was built during prohibition and has all secret passageways between the walls to store booze in then you are golden, just lift a floor to get in and walk the cable where it needs to go.

for actually fishing the cable a reel of fishing tape is great for conduit thats already in but to draw cable through probably a set of rods is the best bet, comes in different flexibilities so you can get it around corners or jab it through holes.
attachments like magnets on chains make it simple to fish from both ends if you are struggling to bend a corner in deep.

tips:
stud finders are absolutely useless don't bother with one.
learn how to make good quickly because you will make lots of holes to start with, don't be scared.
learn what is and what isn't a supporting/load bearing wall and look up the local regulations about chase depths so you don't fuck any up.
>>
>>1092064
Cuz some people like to not have things look like shit where they live
>>
>>1092060
>through a wall

Whose wall is it? Yours, your patents or your landlords?
>>
>>1092060

Interior walls rarely have insulation so they're balls easy. Exterior walls have insulation and it can be a pain in the ass.

Get a stud finder. Receptacles and switches are mounted to gang boxes that are mounted to studs. That should get you started.

I hate wires so I run any wire I can behind walls. I mounted my alarm label to my wall and ran the power supply wire through the wall exiting on the other side through the wall plate and plugged into the same receptacle. You can't see a single wire. I love it.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.