[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>lightweight edc pliers is there any good alternative

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 14

>lightweight edc pliers
is there any good alternative to a multitool?
>>
Wear a dual mag pouch and carry multitool plus othertool. I carry a Leatherman 300 and a Pelican flashlight (plastic body doesn't short electrical connections when working on vehicles) but you can fit many things in mag pouches.
>>
What is a LEATHERMAN?
>>
>>1092135
I dont think a multitool is an "alternative to a multitool"

Your reading comprehension is about as poor as the leathermans pliers.
>>
File: 1470265025410.jpg (529KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1470265025410.jpg
529KB, 1280x1920px
>>1092135
I hope that you're not a native english speaker otherwise that's fucking embarrassing.
>>
You srsly don't need to carry pliers on you all the time.
>>
File: 30e.jpg (41KB, 580x218px) Image search: [Google]
30e.jpg
41KB, 580x218px
I just discovered the PZ-60 which is what I've been hoping for for years, long-nose screw pliers. I don't know why it took so long to release one of these. Expensive Japan import prices are gay as shit.
>>
File: 1435945967217.gif (2MB, 320x384px) Image search: [Google]
1435945967217.gif
2MB, 320x384px
>>1092593
Yeah, you surely know my needs.

>>1092600
The handle ruins it for me.
>>
>>1092593
most trades do.
>>
http://toolguyd.com/knipex-mini-pliers-wrench-cobra-pliers-edc/
>>
>>1092647
mummy!!!!
>>
>>1092697
Anyone with first-hand experience with these? It can grab bolts much larger in comparison to it but what about torque?
>>
>>1092776
I have two pair of knipex, the smallest is one size bigger than the pictured one. They'll surprise you, and you'll definitely be able to turn more bolts with them than ordinary pliers, but they won't replace a wrench.

You can tell when you're about to slip and round off the bolt, though. That's when you know you should get the correct tool.

They're great for plumbing, where you have to turn a variety of fasteners with only medium torque, but you have to be careful that you're not deforming pipes and fittings because they really do give you that much grip.
>>
>>1092647
are you a manchild op?
>>1092664
yeah most trades have dedicated tool storage
>>
>>1092776
I have the 150mm and 250mm. They're fucking amazing.
>>
File: hjh006aic1op2rlb.jpg (120KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
hjh006aic1op2rlb.jpg
120KB, 1024x768px
>>1092697
Which one should I get? The VBW PowerGrip seems like it would keep the lower jaws more parallel and less loosey goosey in every way. I just have images to compare.
>>
>>1092647
>The handle ruins it for me.

Im another anon, I bought the regular Screw Pliers and the handles are really fucking nice. They are a softer rubbery thing and feel amazing.
>>
>>1093133
I dont think youll be dissapointed in either of them.

I have the knipex, and the jaws do have play. But the play means literally nothing and the jaws are always parallel.
Without the play, it would be a whole lot harder to one hand ratchet them.

Im guessing the VBW is going to have just as much play honestly,

I bought the Knipex because for one thing I have never seen the VBW shit before, and secondly because it was at my local menards. I had seen it previously at Farm and Fleet and Lowes (both stopped carrying them)

Their popularity makes them a whole lot easier to obtain.
>>
File: 820909644262.jpg (68KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
820909644262.jpg
68KB, 900x900px
>>1093158
I decided to get neither, because I don't want to fork over $$$ and by doing so telling the companies/sellers the product is up to my standards of excellence when I have a much better design idea that doesn't make the handles go farther apart for smaller grips and vice versa, has less play, and more robust mechanics overall. Also because I got these 8" and 10" Kobalts for way less $.
>>1092647
Bumping your lightweight EDC pliers thread. I'm leaning toward parallel pliers with no teeth, kinda like the ones jewelers use. Still, I prefer my idea by far.
>>
>>1094248
>my standards of excellence
>bought kobalts instead of quality german made pliers
>>
File: pc1100.png (385KB, 1000x646px) Image search: [Google]
pc1100.png
385KB, 1000x646px
>>1094257
It's all about the price/performance ratio, friend. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if I found more cleverly-designed and less expensive equivalent from a lesser known Japanese brand sooner or later.
>>
>>1094261
>It's all about the price/performance ratio, friend.

If just getting by with the cheapest garbage you can find is your thing, why were you looking into premium pump pliers?
You can achieve the same thing with regular tongue and grooves and a shitty adjustable wrench.

Im still not sure where you get this idea that they are poorly designed, especially since you havent even used them before.
>>
>>1094268
>If just getting by with the cheapest garbage you can find is your thing
No, good price/performance ratio is my thing.
> why were you looking into premium pump pliers?
I do want premium for EDC. That 5" one above may be my best option at this point but I'm not ready to spend $30 on one just yet.
>Im still not sure where you get this idea that they are poorly designed, especially since you havent even used them before.
I think the designs are quite decent, I just think there are much better designs. I'm sure my thought experiments of mechanical engineering are accurate enough to realize some things that YT vids don't tell me explicitly. I know that the handles distance and the jaws distance being inversely correlated disgusts me, for one.
>>
>>1092647
>The handle ruins it for me.
Cut it off, and plastidip a new one
>>
>>1094283
Kobalts chinese RoboGrip knockoffs disgust me. But then again, pretty much every single Kobalt tool other than their taiwanese sockets disgust me.

Good luck in your quest to find this marvel of engineering, made in a good COO, for a cheap price.
Let us know when you find it
>>
>>1094268
>why were you looking into premium pump pliers?
I should have specified: I want parallel and smooth jaw pliers+wrench with compound leverage because with that combination of features you get high versatility, and the only ones I have found so far are the premium ones mentioned ITT.
>You can achieve the same thing with regular tongue and grooves and a shitty adjustable wrench.
Regular tongue and grooves don't have parallel and smooth jaws to function as a non-marring vice. At least with the Kobalts I have the option of putting some hard plastic over the teeth.
>>1094297
>Kobalts chinese RoboGrip knockoffs disgust me.
I thought those ones were crap just based on photos on the internet, and after reading what others had to say about them I guess I was right.
>Good luck in your quest to find this marvel of engineering, made in a good COO, for a cheap price.
>Let us know when you find it
Haha. Maybe I will.
>>
>>1092776
I have the 125mm, the 180mm and the 250mm. The small one sits in the tool pouch of my bike, and I will be able to apply enough torque to decently work on all bolts where a quick roadside repair might be necessary.
The large one is in my car, I never had to use it, but I am sure I could loosen or tighten a wheel nut in an emergency.
The medium one (180mm version) is in my workshop. I just did a torque test using my torque wrench. I am not a very strong man, and with the perfect working angle I could barely manage these torques:
Bare 1/2" square: 80Nm
12mm hex socket: 70Nm
10mm hex socket: 60Nm

I consider this well enough if your obcective is not taking apart a chassis which is rusting since Nixon's days.
>>
>>1092141
Your lack of comprehension is worse.
>>
File: 1432638412591.gif (503KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1432638412591.gif
503KB, 600x600px
>>1094283
>I'm not ready to spend $30 on one just yet.
>yet
>30 bucks
Is this bait? Better talk with your family and boss before taking such risky jump.
>>
>>1094283
>I know that the handles distance and the jaws distance being inversely correlated disgusts me, for one.
how so?
>>
File: IMG_3196.jpg (24KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3196.jpg
24KB, 500x500px
Every farmer alive has one of these as EDC I swear
>>
File: knipex8605-150s02-01.jpg (134KB, 642x384px) Image search: [Google]
knipex8605-150s02-01.jpg
134KB, 642x384px
>>1094553
I returned a 4.5 star Amazon review average Leatherman Rebar + Micra combo that I paid less than $30 for just because a few design decisions pissed me off so much. It's not worth the stress. Nowadays maybe I'm rather good at deciding what I like before forking over money and trying things out. Maybe I'm rather good at finding more suitable and less expensive alternatives within a few days.
>>1094556
For optimal bolt turning the top handle edge should be aligned such that the line along it intersects with the center of the bolt. You can see that's about right when it's fully open but less so the closer the jaws are. I also don't like how one handle extends farther than the other, but that's pretty much all tongue-groove-pliers. I can think of better designs without those faults.
>>
>>1094589
>For optimal bolt turning the top handle edge should be aligned such that the line along it intersects with the center of the bolt. You can see that's about right when it's fully open but less so the closer the jaws are. I also don't like how one handle extends farther than the other, but that's pretty much all tongue-groove-pliers. I can think of better designs without those faults.
not that guy, i want to agree with you, there are probably ways to improve this tool
>>
>>1094590
>there are probably ways to improve this tool

At what cost?
The first year engineering student you are replying to doesnt understand real world application of what he is learning.
>>
>>1094599
>At what cost?
So you're already dead set on the belief that the design cannot be improved in those aspects without compromise?
>>
>>1094565
I'm not a farmer and that color looks gay.

>>1094589
Send them an email.
>>
>>1094608
In a practical sense?
Yeah pretty much.

Its already a niche tool that doesnt work better that the long standing tongue and groove and adjustable wrenches that everyone has.

You make it in china and put a chinese name on it, its suddenly cast into the "as seen on TV" tier of tool.
You make it in Japan, its not going to be cheaper than the Knipex.

You are kind of stuck.
You have no clue why the design choices were made. If there was a superior way at a viable price point, it would have been done.
>>
>>1094616
>that color looks gay.

EDCing tools IS gay, so itd work out great for you.
>>
>>1094625
>EDCing tools IS gay
Sucking dicks and liking men like you do is gay, edcing tools is being prepared.
>>
>>1094633
>edcing tools is being prepared.

Is being prepared flaunting your manly colored tools? Just gotta let everyone know how cool and prepared you are with a fashion statement?

Ignore the fact that everyone who knows tools recognizes Channelocks blue handles. They have made quality tools in the USA for literally over one and a quarter centuries.

Sucking dick is more respectable than trying to color code your tools to impress people
>>
File: gay keks.png (299KB, 602x480px) Image search: [Google]
gay keks.png
299KB, 602x480px
>>1094616
>>1094633
This made me kek because every person I've met who EDCs tools is gay and a faggot, myself included, just like
>>1094625
>>1094636
said.

Even more kek is that every person I know who uses "EDC" as part of their daily vocabulary is as flaming as the human torch.
>>
>>1094589
>You can see that's about right when it's fully open
and the top handle is at its weakest leverage (strongest is when it's parallel to the other handle). So stronger jaw leverage and weaker turning leverage or weaker jaw leverage and stronger turning leverage. The center alignment is no that much more far off when the jaws are closer and the top handle is at its weakest leverage. Aside from that that the handles spread farther for smaller loads annoys me for other reasons.
>>1094620
>doesnt work better that the long standing tongue and groove and adjustable wrenches that everyone has.
It's not necessarily a replacement for those, but neither of those can apply 10:1 force without marring, and it is certainly a replacement for other grabbing tools because as far as I can tell no other device can also do that with one-handed operation and at a disproportionately small mass and volume.
>You make it in Japan, its not going to be cheaper than the Knipex.
To me it seems that Japanese variants are more often less expensive than more, if anything. Besides, enough people are already more than willing to pay top-dollar for the best so I don't see why cost would matter that much.
>You have no clue why the design choices were made.
I think the slightly less robust Knipex mechanism was borrowed and inverted from the Stahlwille variant to avoid patent violation. What do you think?
>If there was a superior way at a viable price point, it would have been done.
I'd be skeptical too if I read some anon posting about how he has a better design idea than an old one that's stood the test of time. But when was the Knipex pliers wrench released onto market? What about the older Stahlwille one that's not that much different but far less popular for some reason?
>>
File: stawwww.jpg (38KB, 724x566px) Image search: [Google]
stawwww.jpg
38KB, 724x566px
>>1094646
>What about the older Stahlwille one that's not that much different but far less popular for some reason?

>but far less popular for some reason?
>some reason

I wonder why...
>>
>>1094654
There's another offer on that same page that's more in the Knipex price range. Also it's under the Stahlwille brand for the western market and Nerrad for the UK, apparently. I don't know why some Amazon listings for obscure products are so high when you can find them for way less.
>>
>>1094657
>There's another offer on that same page that's more in the Knipex price range.
>plus shipping and handling
Nevermind.
>>
>>1094646
Where did you get solid dates on the introduction of both tools?

>far less popular for some reason?

Stahlwhile doesnt even make them, they just badge and sell them. They only have 3 sizes, they are more expensive than Knipex.

Also can you explain why you think the Knipex are "less robust" than the Stahlwilles?
>>
File: vlcsnap-2012-12-22-02h13m45s103.png (361KB, 544x400px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2012-12-22-02h13m45s103.png
361KB, 544x400px
>>1092137
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.