[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need to get a house at some point in the future. I could probably

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (80KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
80KB, 1280x720px
I need to get a house at some point in the future. I could probably afford a 200k house maybe a bit more. I live in MD near DC. Most houses are around 300k min here (and anywhere reasonably nearby).

Is it reasonable to assume that I could buy a plot of land (100k or so) and build a house on it for 100k (doing some work myself) and it would be better than the 50 year old or whatever shit shacks here?
>>
You could, but adding on to your property adds value, then you get fucked in taxes. It would eventually cost more to do it this way.
>>
>>1091701
Wow, you must be making next to nothing. Even I was able to swing 220k making $13 an hour straight out of college a few years ago.

100k for land can be a big if. In my town, 100k would get you 1/10th of an acre in a bad neighborhood. I have no clue what land prices are where you live but it's easy enough to look. Check online. Make sure it has utility hook-ups. Those alone can run into the tens of thousands of dollars. As for a house for under 100k, sure. The thing you have to understand though is that square footage is the cheapest thing to add to a home. So a home that costs 140k could have twice the square footage of a home that costs 100k, if that is all you are adding.

Maybe consider getting a lot on a corner or with alley access and building a two story garage/1 bedroom apartment. Live in that shit while you save up money and then build the house when you have the cash. It's generally fairly easy to dupe the permitting board but just telling them you started construction on the apartment and then ran out of money for the main house and that you will build it later.
>>
>>1091715

This is why you buy a a good hunk of land. Then build a tiny little shack. get it assessed for taxes then dig... and dig. and dig some more. until the shack is nothing more then the foyer to the ultimate man cave / rape dungeon.

land is important though. you will need somewhere to dump the dirt.
>>
Don't get a 200k house. The housing meme is over. Get yourself a 200k investment portfolio. You will thank yourself.
>>
>>1091716
>$13 hour in college

$13 * 40 hours * 4 weeks * 12 months - 15% tax =
$21000 in raw earning after tax for a year

Now add rent/food/utilities

$800/m rent/garbage/sewage/water + $200/m food + $30/m phone + $100/m electricity/heating + $40/m internet cab + $100/m car insurance + $60/m gas = $1330/m * 12 = $16,000

Thats not spending anything else on emergency funds, snacks, "going out", hobby spending, etc. Purely essentials.

You're now left with 5K a year.

At that rate, it would take 44 years to get 220K. I would say its little bit more than "few years"
>>
File: lofted-cabin-2.jpg (117KB, 957x737px) Image search: [Google]
lofted-cabin-2.jpg
117KB, 957x737px
>>1091716
Jesus christy. Fucking city cucks. That has to suck. I'm buying 15 acres 2 miles outside of town for fucking 30k. With a ton of antiques on it. Kek.

Anon if that's the way u wanna go talk to some of those "rent to own" cucksheds dealers. I almost did it bit didn't wanna do all the work. I asked about a 10x40 foot building and of it would be suitable for hanging dry wall and he said they build frames on 18" centers or wtf ever just so u can insulate and do that. Lost the pics but the guys son was doing exactly that. Descent sized 2 bedroom house for like 30k. All new. Keep your taxes low and if u wanna leave later u should be able to get your money back. Make sure and keep it for 1 year at least or bend over for uncle sam.

>
>>
>>1091838
>15 acres 2 miles outside of town for just $30k
Where at?

I'd have to go 200+ miles(3-4 hours of highway driving) outside of city to get that kind of deal here.

I would like to move out and get those cheap usable lands then live there without paying rent at all.
>>
File: 20161130_052618.jpg (151KB, 448x499px) Image search: [Google]
20161130_052618.jpg
151KB, 448x499px
>>1091830
>he only works 40 hours a week.

Please. I been working overtime since junior high son.

Broke 40k a couple years ago at $12 a fucking hour.
>>
>>1091841
Southeast ks bro. Middle of bumbfuck nowhere tho. 5 walmarts over 30 miles away in any direction... And that's kinda high. But with all of the stuff on it there is bound to be money just rusting away outhe there. Plus I am a tinkered and I'll just cut and weld monstrosities with it. I can buy 5-20 acres at 1200 each even closer.
>>
File: 180px-Happy-merchant[1].gif (13KB, 180x210px) Image search: [Google]
180px-Happy-merchant[1].gif
13KB, 180x210px
>>1091838
>go talk to some of those "rent to own" cucksheds dealers
$5925 @ 36 months = 274.31 is about thirty fucking seven percent interets rate. JFI.. Literally cheaper sticking that on a credit card, and, you can pay that off, for free, anytime you like. Talk to rent-to-buy cuckshed dealers all you like, but at 37%? - tell them where to stick their plan, and finance it elsewhere. You'd struggle to do it any more expensively, f'sure.
>>
>>1091715
Property taxes don't seem that bad...
http://dat.maryland.gov/realproperty/Pages/2015-2016-County-Tax-Rates.aspx

I guess there is no way to avoid them though. Even if I get an old house I still have to pay property taxes on it.
>>
>>1091877
There may be ways to reduce your property taxes. If you have the space check to see if a modest hobby farm could put you into an land for agriculture tax class. It's really depends on where you live and what your bylaws state but you should still enquirer.
>>
>>1091830
There are these things called mortgages. They allow you to buy homes now and pay them off as you go while still letting you live in them. Crazy right? Instead of paying $1,200 a month to live in a house I can't even paint the color I want while paying some other assholes mortgage I can get my own place that is the same size, pay $1,100 a month and do whatever the fuck I want to the place. Where I'm at buying is cheaper than renting. That is not true everywhere, but it works for me. I bought when the market was low and the loans were cheap and now I'm making a lot more money so my mortgage (which includes taxes and insurance) isn't even a big deal. I pay extra every month and will probably have it paid off 7-10 years early. Oh, and I can write it off on my taxes.

>>1091838
Work is a 10-minute commute. The grocery store is a 5-minute walk. The mall is a 10-minute walk. My house in on a quarter acre, which is well more than I will ever need because I don't plan on filling it up with junk cars and other garbage. The street is a cul-de-sac, so no traffic. It's quiet, my neighbors are nice and it's mine. Sure as hell beats paying some other asshole to use their stuff. Definitely beats living in an upper class white trash hipster trailer.
>>
File: 1415712404077.jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1415712404077.jpg
41KB, 640x480px
>>1091918
Indeed. Rarely does someone pay flat out for a house. However I would definitely recommend getting a big a deposit as possible and paying off as much as you can (without getting hit with penalties) in the first year or two, it'll really reduce the length of your mortgage.
>>
>>1091870
Lol! I didn't do the math but all of the giant "no credit check" signs may as well say bring your own lube for this fuckin' boy. Kek.

As a home he can go to a bank and get like a 4% loan instead of rape 30%.

The 12x40 I looked at was similar. With a loft and insulation and electric and another door the total was just under 20k. No fucking way I would buy it from those cucks on payments. Maybe a bank. But still. I had about 10k cash and I should have just done it. You can'take even get a modular home for fucking 60k. Shit is rediculous. Either 3/4 of my income going to a new house or I live in a Crack den...
>>
>>1091877
Start an llc and sell bullshit on etsy. Congrats. Now your "home" is a tax deductible office. Don't forget depreciation and such. ;)
>>
>>1091918
Cool. Makes sense I guess. There's a lot to say for having a quiet street and neighbors that don't suck dicks.
>>
>>1091716
Are you one of those zero down cucks? Enjoyin' that PMI? I make 66k a year in a small city, and it has taken me several years to save up a 40k down payment.
>>
>>1092223
No PMI. It's a VA Loan. Your tax dollars at work.
>>
>>1091701
Move to the Midwest, 200k will get you a really nice house with a big ass yard. And there's hardly any niggers.
>>
>>1092223
If you go frugal, you can save tons of money per year with that kind of money

>rent 1 bedroom apartment with another room mate
>rent drops down to $400/m <= $5000 for rent per year
>$150/m for food <= $2000/y
><$1000/y for car insurance
><$1000/y for gas
><$1000 for utilities
>$2000/y for emergencies
Thats roughly 12k a year spending (with over estimates), lets say $15k for expenses per year instead.

If the 66k is after tax, then you'd be left with 50K roughly/year

In 1 year you can pay down payment and start owning a house with 50K downpayment.

If you wait 2 years, it would be 100k, then you'd be set.

If you wait 4 years, 200K saved up, etc.
>>
>>1091701
Save for a good deposit, accept a lower standard of living, buy a modest first home
>>
>>1091919
Worst advice ever...
>>
>>1091842
No offense, but you're taking too much pride in working like a dog for piss money.

Taking pride in work is one thing, but you're acting as if 12 an hour is some magical amount simply because you work more. You also lose more in taxes. You also are still on the poverty line. You also cannot afford a standard suburb 3/2 house in good, new condition.

I know this because I was the same as you. You should really find another job, buddy. Your skills have improved, and other places will hire you. Plus, you're not obligated to inform your current job that you're considering leaving.
>>
>>1091701
Bro, I hate to be a dick but unless the land is a bitch to build on, is a horrible location or is 1/8 of an acre good luck. I am about an 45mins outside DC in VA and was lucky enough to find a "spooky" home that needed major TLC(Got it for 215k with 12 acres of land). Got the house for the price of the land and have been slowly remodeling it over 2 years. Living with my folks still until I get it livable/up to my standards and finally "move in".

I don't want to get too detailed but it's in a shitty spot for internet with no DSL (21kFT from the CO) and shit cell service so I am on a T1 for internet as $310 a month as satellite internet with 900ms is no good for gaming/engineering remotely. But for those who don't give a fuck about intertubes latency it was $90 a month for basic 20gigs of access per month.

So really anything under 300k will have drawbacks for sure. If you get something with a house for 200k expect to dump the next 50/100k of your money into the house to make it nice and resellable. I'm going crazy so I coulda had it done in 6 months but I wanted the best insulation, HVAC, materials, high end shit, etc. So I had to wait till I had the cash for materials.

Ask away if you want to know what it's like to own a cabin innawoods in the last open land within 45mins of DC.
>>
>>1092785
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_VOwed2kCw
>>
>>1091716

Did you ever buy a beer for your friends? or are you the type who waits until other people order?

Do you have any friends? Is your wife also greedy?

Does it hurt when you spend money on lets say a restaurant? DO you even go to a restaurant?
>>
>>1093859

I wish this was possible with me. The house is in a densely forested area down in a valley/depression shaped like a deep bowl. This video is a perfect scenario as it's open and the cottages seem to have great line of sight. I am good friends with a guy who owns a microwave based ISP on top of the nearby mountain but there is no line of sight possible without building a 100+ foot tower to place an antenna.

Once I live there I plan on convincing the county to let me bury some armored fiber into the town 2 miles away and build my own ISP down the road as there are plenty of neighbors that would pay good money for a basic connect. Easier said than done but a combo of fiber and microwave hops and I could have what you described in the video.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.