[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /diy/, I want to reroute the eject button on my optic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 12

File: stereo pcb ribbon panel in.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
stereo pcb ribbon panel in.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
Hello /diy/,

I want to reroute the eject button on my optical drive in a similar fashion to this:
(synopsis dude connects a new switch to his optical drive in order to make it stealth)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_ACMEaOrvQ

But in my case, I want to repurpose my stereo's own front panel eject button since I'll embed it inside the stereo's case. Simply because I arbitrarily decided to try to make it this way but also due to some space constraints.

pic related, for reference, is where the front panel ribbon cable connects to the stereo pcb and the connected 5 pin cable slightly to the right and bottom is the output for the removed stereo cd drive.
>>
File: stereo front panel eject button.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
stereo front panel eject button.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
Stereo’s front panel PCB-front eject button
>>
Stereo’s front panel PCB-back eject button
>>
File: stereo pcb 5 pin out.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
stereo pcb 5 pin out.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
I noticed in the old cd drive that the out pins that connects to the electric motor are load + and load-
this pic close up on the 5 pin out.

(lef to to right)
Load + Load- Open Gnd Close
>>
File: Cd drive.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Cd drive.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
this pic on the removed old cd-drive showing the load+ and load- pins routing straight to the motor

load + goes to the negative pole (black wire)
load – goes to the positive (red wire)
(yes, they are inverted, double, triple checked)
>>
File: bd-rom.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
bd-rom.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
Now, my first idea was to strip that 5 pin connector and have the load + and load- soldered directly to the back of the BD-rom eject button/motor PCB – but I’m assuming that those pins are drawing power from the stereo itself and that would probably cause some weird cross power draw since I’m going to have the bd-rom connected as usual to my motherboard/psu (sata and molex cutting through a hole on the back of the stereo).
>>
File: eject pcb front.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
eject pcb front.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
Considering that, should I use the open/close pins? I believe that in doing so I would be using the stereo’s button as a common switch, simply closing the circuit and using the psu’s power draw*.

I’d like to know is if this is an incorrect assumption or not.

Also, can I ignore cathode and anode if this approach proves to be correct*. On this cannibalized old dvd drive, I saw that the right side is shorted (sw1), the bottom left receives two visible traces while the upper left (also marked as sw1) probably connect through the middle pcb layer to the shorted side.
>>
File: eject pcb back.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
eject pcb back.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
>>1091228
back for reference
>>
File: bd rom eject pcb.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
bd rom eject pcb.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
This is the bd-rom’s eject pcb in close up.
(I’m worried because it appears to exist some crossinteractions through the ribbon out and to tray in, tray out; most likely some kind of state sensor).
>>
tl;dr
from these 5 pins
close
gnd
open
load -
load +

>which ones should I solder at the optical drive’s backside of the eject PCB/button in order to have it functioning as a common switch
>is it possible do so without causing any cross power draw, since the drive will be connected as it is normally (psu/mobo).

combo completed.

Thank you for your attention.
>>
File: DSC00550.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00550.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
>>1091232
For further clarity, my intention is to have the optical drive placed inside the stereo case -- just sitting there, it's intended to work as my computer bd-rom -- and I want find a way to have the stereo's eject button working for it.

Mostly because the stereo front panel gets in the way of its eject button but also to appease my autism.
>>
File: button diagram ver1.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
button diagram ver1.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
how does this switch work?
AC and BD are the same physical legs, so this pic is how I would guess.
>>
File: button diagram ver 2.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
button diagram ver 2.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
but Iv'e been trying different combinations and it behaves as if in this diagram.

I plugged the optical drive on the psu while testing some things with the stereo unplugged from the wall. If I connect a stripped wire tip coming from the 5 pin connector >>1091223, any one, to A, B or D and touch and lift any other one to C, the motor spins, opening or closing the tray depending on the current state. The only remarkable thing is that if I touch it again midway to closing or opening the tray it reverses the direction it was going to reopen or close again fully.

C is the trace that routes to eject, I don't know about the others.

what I can say now is that regardless of which combination of 2 wire tips used, they always close the circuit somewhere in the stereo independently of the switch button -- that I would have assumed to be normally open.

I'm starting to think that I should relocate the eject button to a different location, exactly like in that video in the OP, and stay away from the setreo front panel.

But even then, can I blindly solder connectors to a spare switch at the points A and C?
>>
>>1091514
>it behaves as if in this diagram.
kinda... A-D does nothing (neither A-B).
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.