[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have any of you sculpted with marble or stone? Where can I buy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: 1440706313273.jpg (91KB, 736x763px) Image search: [Google]
1440706313273.jpg
91KB, 736x763px
Have any of you sculpted with marble or stone? Where can I buy a block of stone from?
>>
>>1091112
I would also like to know this.

Also where can you learn sculpting skills? Or is it just learned through experience by practicing alot on wood and/or clay?
>>
File: Bike+pulling+Wagon.jpg (267KB, 1600x732px) Image search: [Google]
Bike+pulling+Wagon.jpg
267KB, 1600x732px
>>1091112
>where buy stone
from a quarry, they're usually in the business of selling stone. also they can probably get you the number of a trucking company that can deliver your stone, so you don't have pull it the wagon behind your bike
>>
>>1091139
>he doesn't own a pickup truck
You fucking poor fags are pure cancer
>>
>>1091112
woah. that sculpted fabric is absolutely amazing.
>>
>>1091112
Soapstone from Sculpturehose. Fucking hell op. Use google.
>>
File: visite-guidate-alle-cave.jpg (29KB, 550x366px) Image search: [Google]
visite-guidate-alle-cave.jpg
29KB, 550x366px
>>1091112
>marble, where?
carrara. but only white, of course.
>>
>>1091121
wood. All the great people considered to be masters did trials in wood for every piece they did in stone, then they usually burnt what they did.

Many old masters, at least the ones appreciated today because of how good their art is and now how good for the time their art was, destroyed much of their practice work so no one knew how much time they put into learning and getting good.

a modern example would be frank frazetta, dude wanted to be known as a master from out of nowhere, and that's the kind of persona he put on.

long and short, wood is cheaper and easier to work with, start there. move onto stone once you can handle wood without fucking up, possibly pick up engraving, the tools are largely the same or at least the same in principal, but on a far smaller and more manageable scale. this will also get you use to 'you only got one go to not fuck up.

>>1091148
not sure if joking, but marble is stupidly heavy, just a human size standing, taking up as little space as possible weights nearly 2200lbs, you have to buy this shit in blocks, so if you want something like lets say a t pose, you would now have a 6600lb block of stone, not to mention if you want to make it bigger than human size. long story short, your truck likely can't carry it, and in all likelihood you will need to have a license to move it.
>>
>>1091112
>jasonarkles.com/marble-carving
- random intro info.
>>
File: a6cd0af6-ecb1-99a3.jpg (39KB, 422x281px) Image search: [Google]
a6cd0af6-ecb1-99a3.jpg
39KB, 422x281px
>>1091148
A pickup.

Pickup.

NIAGARA WHAT FUCKING PICKUP U GOT THAT CAN HAUL A 20 TON ROCK!???

AND DON'THE U DARE SAY "LOOK AT MY INVERTED DICK TIER PIC RELATED!"
>>
>>1091139
NEAT.

http://www.sculpturehouse.com/s-268-soapstone.aspx
>>
File: FB_IMG_1480433557610.jpg (50KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1480433557610.jpg
50KB, 800x600px
>>1091271
Kek. This.

10,001 pounds is dot tag. Or anythING with air brakes.

Mfw dad has to dot tag his pickup when pulling a pipe trailer.

Fucking dot chucked bunch of rapists. They all need to get in a fuck pile in California and we need to push that fucking state out by australia.

Pic related.

>Muh truck.

Just in case someone wanta to claim I don't know my shit...
>>
>>1091271
>because wood and rock will break similarly when stuck with a chisel
said no one ever
>>
>>1092063
What kinda rock would you recommend to practice on then, wiseguy?
>>
no, but the composition and planning on how to get things to drape etc are the same.

Kind of how you practice for a painting by sketching with pencils/charcoal. Totally different, pencils don't have color, but it lets you plan out composition and figure out techniques like how to arrange fabric drape to look real and not like they're wearing a rug.
>>
>>1092063
If you are asking here where to get marble, there in no chance in hell you are skilled enough to work in it.

Working in stone isn't additive like clay, even if you know what you are doing in 3d space, you have no fucking clue what you are doing when you remove material.

you practice in wood till you know what you are doing, you use less expensive more common stone till you get a feel for how it works and breaks. apparently soapstone is recommended.
>>
>>1091271
>a modern example would be frank Frazetta
L M A O
>>
>>1091991
>NIAGARA WHAT FUCKING PICKUP U GOT THAT CAN HAUL A 20 TON ROCK!???
Probably more like 10 tons lad
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.