[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, been clearing out a house for a family friend recently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20161127_181711.jpg (671KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161127_181711.jpg
671KB, 1920x2560px
Hey /diy/, been clearing out a house for a family friend recently and discovered this.

It's obviously a thermometer, but it's got small grey metal balls at the bottom of it, covered over with a red substance- looks like wax?

The scale is also strange- graduations of 10 degrees all the way from 170 at the bottom to 00 at the top, then right at the very top jumping (in the same length of a normal 10 degree graduation) to 990 and to 980?

I've never seen a thermometer like this and wondered whether you guys know what it is and what it's use would be. It reads "S.G 60°F" upon it.
>>
>>1090612
that looks like a hydrometer, used to measure specific gravity of liquids.

they use them for all sorts of things, like checking the sugar content in maple syrup.
>>
>>1090615
I think he is right. If I had to guess, it is or was used to find the alcohol proof in a barrel of whiskey, wine, or some other drink
>>
>>1090612

Yes it's a hydrometer. S.G. = specific gravity.
>>
File: 1479179662675.jpg (143KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
1479179662675.jpg
143KB, 1080x1349px
>>1090612
It's a hydrometer
Used in beer and wine making to measure amount of fermentables
SG = specific gravity
>>
>>1090626

You literally added nothing to the thread.

>measure amount of fermentables

What? It measures the relative density (specific gravity) of any liquid compared to whatever it was calibrated with, nearly always water. And technically, if it's for alcohol it's an alcoholometer.
>>
>>1090626
T H I C C
H
I
C
C
>>
>>1090636
U mad? It doesn't measure alcohol in beer, you take a measurement before fermentation and during. When the Sgt is steady you know fermentation is done. the difference allows you to calculate the alcohol content.

Your post didn't add anything to the thread numb nuts, at least he told op what it was used for besides checking whiskey or maple syrup.
>>
>>1090678
It could also be for checking acid composition in a battery. That's why his definition is more correct, it measures relative density. Yes, one of it's uses is for determining the composition of alcohol.
>>
>>1090678

You do know they use hydrometers for more than alcohol, right?

Also, you still haven't told me what the fuck fermentables are.
>>
>>1090686
lol fermentables are sugars, what the yeast convert to alcohol.
>>
File: Photo0046.jpg (186KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Photo0046.jpg
186KB, 640x480px
>>1090612
it's for measuring the alcohol
>>
It's a Flamerator:
Used to start flame wars on image boards.
>>
As mentioned before, it's a hydrometer; which indirectly measures density. Different concentrations of a solution have different densities, therefore by measuring a liquid's density, you can know the concentration of the solute in it. For example, measure the sugar content on molten candy.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.