[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is making something like pic related starting from no knowledge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

File: p_1000733902.jpg (36KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
p_1000733902.jpg
36KB, 500x500px
Is making something like pic related starting from no knowledge (but I will be borrowing my dad's tools) a good idea? Should I start with easier projects first and just buy some cheap Ikea drawer for now? I am in desperate need of more storage right now for my clothes + everything else. I don't exactly want a bedroom wardrobe but something like it, just more general purpose.

My first problem is, what terms do I even google for? Googling for cabinets give me mostly kitchen cabinets, something with entirely drawers might not be flexible enough for me either since I have books too. A wardrobe isn't what I'm looking for either since I want something more general-purpose.

Maybe something like a bookshelf but with covers (ideally dustproof if that is even possible) instead, but what the heck do you even call that?
>>
>>1090113
It's always a good idea to try to make what you get an impulse to do. Just learn basic safety rules for the various spinning and cutting tools and go ahead.

Tips:
>1 Measure twice, cut once.
>2 Draw a schematic based on available materials, but feel free to sketch first to see what materials might be good
>3 Assume you will make mistakes, then try to plan to avoid them
>4 Don't expect results like pic related. That's made from carefully selected wood with few knots and matching grain by a professional.
>5 Don't be afraid to fuck up, just keep going at it.
>6 It will take much longer than you expect.
>>
>>1090113
what do you have for tools?

granted it could all be done with a drill (just for pre drilling holes so screw don't split) and jig saw as long as you have a good straight edge and a few clamps and a screw driver.

don't rely on glue, wood shrinks and contracts with changes in humidity. forget about dovetail joints just starting out.

if it has drawers and you don't plan on using hardware, use wax to lubricate the wood on wood sliding surfaces

what i picture in my head of what you described is like a china cabinet, but maybe not with glass on the doors

stay away from the particle board vinyl veneered crap, its fine once you assemble it, but you end up junking it if you ever have to move it.

if your using a table saw, use push sticks, you can't regrow fingers.

>>1090115
this guy is right, don't be afraid.

everyone starts off with no experience, go for it and learn, even through trial and error.
>>
File: PushStick.jpg (18KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
PushStick.jpg
18KB, 320x240px
>>1090113
Start with a few smaller projects. That way, if you screw up a cut you don't mess up a large expensive piece of wood. When you get comfortable with power tools, go for it.

Also, learning power saws is easier and safer with smaller pieces of wood. As long as you remember to always use push sticks.
>>
Thanks for the advice. I'll check out what my dad has and see what I can do. I'll probably do some small drawers to replace my cheap plastic ones or something.
>>
File: 2014-12-16-22h04m.jpg (385KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2014-12-16-22h04m.jpg
385KB, 1600x1200px
So you're talking a bookshelf with a couple of coverable shelves, a couple of open shelves and a couple of drawers?

If you're planning to deal with solid wood sheet goods you get right from the lumberyard you might wanna keep in the room where the furniture piece is gonna end up for a while to normalize the wood's moisture content. Several weeks may be necessary before actually beginning measuring and cutting anything as the shrinkage when it dries will be considerable. They might warp and crack aswell. The ideal is to gradually ease the wood into drier surroundings.
Plywood, MDF and particleboard aren't really affected by this. They're lame to make furniture out of though, especially the latter two.

A tablesaw is massively helpful, even a shitty one as long as the fence is properly squared. Look up the five cut test. Mind the underside for tear-out.

You'll presumably start out using pine since it's cheap. You can spruce it up (puns lel) with stain. Might wanna seal it up with varnish to avoid stains.

Look at some of Matthias Wandel's furniture projects. He keeps it basic without artistic flourish (but plenty of autistic flourish). Most of the articles have videos where you can pick up some useful tips.
http://woodgears.ca/projects.html
http://woodgears.ca/projects2.html
For traditional tool techniques, Paul Sellers on youtube makes (very long) videos.

My experience is limited though. The only really large thing I've built was a headboard+sideprotection thing for a bed, maybe two years ago. I would have made it differently today. I just recently plunged into attempting a Franklin chair without plans.

It gets daunting when you stand there with a pile of lumber and no idea where to start, but make a schematic and a list of the individual pieces you'll need (cut list). Go through the assembly in your head to figure out the best order to go about it. Make a checklist if you need to.

Maybe cloth drapes on a wire could substitute for doors?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.