[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey, quick question. I have this situation: there is a mains

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: 157560515.jpg (88KB, 507x338px) Image search: [Google]
157560515.jpg
88KB, 507x338px
hey, quick question.
I have this situation: there is a mains water pipe, it is an old pipe, and I am planning to bury it under plaster board, etc. On it I see a small corrosion center and currently there is no possibility to change the pipe into plastic one.
Being paranoid of a leak this is what I am thinking - to take a piece of fiberglass, use some polyester resin and wrap around the area that concerns me. The question is if a hole would develop in a pipe, would this fiberglass infused with epoxy hold up? The pipe might have a pressure of up to 5 bar (72 psi), it's diameter is around 25mm (1 inch).
What do you think?
>>
>>1090020
replace the corroded section.
>>
>>1090025
It is an apartment building, it is a real pain in the as to shut down water, etc.
The main question is would this work?
I have a suspicion it would be plenty strong. But maybe there are some secrets I don't know. I know this is a shitty solution.
>>
>>1090033
Are you the landlord? It'll be a real pain in the ass to shut down water for a few days and repair thousands in water damage.
>>
>>1090035
no, it is in europe, there are no landlors, it is my place, but the thing is the corrosion center is sort of a rust speck. If there is no leaks it is absolute pain in the ass to get a permission to do work on pipes, you gotta arrange that with your neighbours too. I mean talk about pain in the ass. Anyways, I fully realize that the only true and righteous path is to change the pipe.
However, I like to gamble, so, what do you think about my proposed solution, is it absolutely retarded or might work?
>>
>>1090038
Should be okay.
Just get a (food safe/potable) patch material then. I wouldn't fuck around with my drinking water. It's usually fiberglass or plastic tape with a water activated resin. Make sure you clean off all the rust before you apply the "fix".
>>
>>1090020
no it if it leaks it leaks no fiberglass is going to stop it
>>
>>1090033
Dont be lazy.
Do it right or you will pay for it in the long run.
>>
Just sounds like surface rust. Sand and seal it.
>>
>>1090052
>>1090089
This. Clean off the rust, seal/patch the area.
>>
>>1090038
Rent two of those fancy devices that let you freeze a pipe to create an ice plug... plug both sides temporarily in this manner then cut out the bad stuff and put in new.
>>
>>1090158
>Rent two of those fancy devices that let you freeze a pipe to create an ice plug
What are you talking about?
>>
>>1090020
One time I was advised by the property owner to patch a crack in an old cast iron pipe with some epoxy. That was 2 years ago. I doubt it will hold much longer...but it worked
>>
File: IMG_1391.jpg (38KB, 448x323px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1391.jpg
38KB, 448x323px
>>1090020
These pipe repair clamps are easy to use. Don't use fiber glass it ain't gonna hold up. Also you could use 2 part marine epoxy but thats also a bandaid that won't last forever
>>
File: IMG_1392.jpg (145KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1392.jpg
145KB, 750x750px
>>1090881
This stuff is not cheep though and you'll probably never use it again
>>
>>1090199
Not him, but they use these in a refinery I work in for emergency repairs on old equipment where the valves won't shut properly. Flash freeze whatever is in the line, shuts the line down. They also have a pipe wrap that will hold a pipe together indefinetly, but it's supposed to be used temporarily between equipment shutdowns. That means 6-10 years sometimes. I've seen 14 inch 300psi steam lines held together with that stuff, but I guarantee it's a 150 times more expensive then replacing 6 inches of pipe, no exaggeration.
>>
>>1090020

Unless the material bonds directly to the galvanised pipe the water will work it's way out.

What kind of third world apartment complex does not have individual stop valves for each apartment?
>>
>>1090890
Flash freeze sounds crazy, somehow I still wouldn't feel safe working on a pipe with steam behind ice. GOTTA GO FAST
>>
>>1090881
Skinner seal FTW! In the Navy, they sometimes fix leaks near the commissioning time of a ship and remove the seal at decommissionning, only to change the rubber and use the seal again.
>>
>>1090928
They are really great quick fixes and seriously they last forever.
>>1090020
OP just use one of these if you're not going to replace the pipe
>>
Post a damn picture of what you see.

Might be small enough to paint. Anything not a professionl patch may not hold against mains pressure AND will make more work when it has to be removed for a fix.

That sample pic is worthless. Show us your real problem.
>>
>>1090020
Fibreglass will NOT work unless you get the resin to bond to non rusted metal. And also then the rust will creep under the resin if there really is a leak.

What you want to heasr is "Yes, it will work" and here it goes:
Yes, it will work!
You have decided to do it already and now you are looking for confirmation. There you have it. Gamble dear anon, gamble!
Save up for the repairs tho...
>>
Replace the Galvi pipe it just gunna leak somewhere eles
>>
>>1090038
get a hammer and a nail. make a leak. oh look, now there's a leak and you can fix the pipe.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.