[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /diy/, pointed this way by /g/. I'm a freelance videographer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0669.jpg (36KB, 220x165px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0669.jpg
36KB, 220x165px
Hi /diy/, pointed this way by /g/.

I'm a freelance videographer working out of the Middle East and parts of Africa. I'm tired of doing extensive editing on my laptop and am looking to build a portable editting station that I can leave back at the hotel. As I'm flying a lot I decided to place this inside a Pelican case. I have a Mac Mini, three multiple terabyte hard drives, a 60% mechanical keyboard and a mouse that need to be tucked away in addition to the 21 inch screen that I plan on fitting to the lid of the case.

What do I need to be conscious of when constructing this? How can I add an AC plug to the outside of the case without compromising its weather proof/drop proof design? If its only running while open, will heat be a problem? What's the best way to start cutting/drilling into this beast? Any help appreciated.
>>
If you weren't such a mac fag got you could buy a tough book and stop trying to cobble together one. Also, don't put a cord through the amazing pelican case. It's very well engineered and we don't want a sand bigger like you fucking it up.
>>
>>1089255
I'm an American working overseas. I'm putting this together as I'm tired of being limited to a laptop screen as it's not the most conducive screen size for editing.
>>
>>1089260
Why not just use an external screen then and tuck that into the case? As I understood it you want to build a complete PC in it?

Or is computing power a concern?
>>
>>1089312
I couldn't see how. Anything powerful enough to outperform a decent gaming laptop is going to need a cooling solution that won't work well in a pelican case without compromising the watertight integrity (intake needs to be on the opposite side from the exhaust, or it won't properly circulate air). I can see where the idea is coming from. There are rugged gaming cases for consoles with built-in screens I've seen guys using on deployment in the navy, but you really need to remove the console from the case while using it, or you risk overheating. These guys just didn't care, or didn't know any better.

I think the screen in the lid could work well, but it's unnecessary if you're going to be removing the computer every time you use it anyway. You're going to get sick of carrying that thing around really quickly if you have to hump it fairly often, because it's not going to be lightweight (pelican case alone will be significantly heavy). You could mod the case where the intake and exhaust fans have access ports with rubber covers that can be removed after you cut some holes in the case. Heat is going to be a problem in Africa and the Middle East anyway, though.

The AC power going through the case shouldn't be much of an issue. Learn how to weatherproof a cable with scotchkote, electrical tape, and self-amalgamating tape. Good enough technique will effectively seal the hole that the cable comes through.
>>
>>1089231
1: make sure you have only one cord coming out. Use a power strip if needed.
2: they sell these cord tension things that mount into drilled holes in whatever surface specifically for this. Will try to look up pic, but no idea what they're called.
>>
File: HTB1UN0NHVXXXXXuXXXXq6xXFXXXm.jpg (124KB, 955x608px) Image search: [Google]
HTB1UN0NHVXXXXXuXXXXq6xXFXXXm.jpg
124KB, 955x608px
>>1089333
"Waterproof cord strain relief" got results
>>
>>1089322
Well, there are people that build PCs with powerhungry hardware into cases like that. The problem with notebooks is that there's little room for cooling surface, you have enough space for that and decently sized fans in a large pelikan case.

Its certainly possible, but takes lots of work. If you want it rugged enough so that it survives being handled in airports and so on it will be incredibly difficult since you can't anchor the hardware directly to the case.

I don't know what OP needs. If its just about a larger screen and possibly a stronger (workstation?) GPU I'd just go with an external screen and external GPU in the case and use a notebook as computer.
>>
File: 277hours.jpg (38KB, 490x454px) Image search: [Google]
277hours.jpg
38KB, 490x454px
>>1089231
>What do I need to be conscious of when constructing this?
Shock, deformation and vibration tolerances. Peli cases are strong, but the lids will deflect a little under load. Keep this in mind when mounting your LCD. I would have it on rubber isolators if possible (like you often see on HDD screws), this will take care of shock and deformation.

Mount your HDDs in rubber cradles, I have made them out of inner tubes previously with good success. Make sure they are mounted in such a manner that they will not bang into other shit if the case takes a drop.

Keep thinking "what could break if this fell down some stairs? What could break if a roadie throws it into a truck?". You won't think of everything, but you'll end up with a solid as fuck road rig.

>>1089322
OP could mount vents on the "cover" of the lower half of the shell either side of the keys. cold in one side, warm out the other. Obviously airflow won't be required unless the lid is open, and when its closed they are protected. OP could prolly just use an IEC socket to get AC in as well, it would be solid as a rock, easy to replace, and can easily be sealed with a ring of silicone around its backside. Also, checked.
>>
>tired of using a laptop
>wants to build a cumbersome laptop with worse performance
>>
>>1089873
this, indeed.
The whole idea is monumentally flawed, not least as, dunno bout Africa, but if you travel anywhere in Yurope/US with that contraption, be aprepared to spend a while demonstrating it to security any and every time you move. And thats without a wire hanging out (better, a socket going in)

Fugged the bollocks entirely tho, build a good mini atx size or so Hackintosh portable, 2x performance of your Mac Mini at 1/3 price, better cooling, etc. This just leaves monitor - and, for video editing, id go with two (smaller..) screens you can fold together for transport/protection, still more real estate than one (larger) screen. Throw that all in a case of your choice, easier to carry, 2 minutes to setup and project finished 3 months quicker than this is going to otherwise. All IMO, of course.
>>
>>1089231
You're better off getting a decently powered laptop and using the 21" monitor as a secondary screen. You're trying to rebuild a laptop anyways.

For increased storage get a couple SSD usb external hard drives.

This will be more expensive in the short term, but the bennefit is that you're using the equipment like it was intended to be. Not kludging shit together.

Then you can go to foambymail.com get a bunch of grey foam and custom cut slots for all your peripherals and monitor which will do infinitely more to protect your shit than a rigidly mounted frame with "shock absorbing screws" or a fucking inner tube from a bike.
>>
>>1089895
>forgot the most important bennefit

IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A FUCKING BOMB TO THE GED HAVING HIGHSCHOOL DROP OUT RETARDED MOUTH BREATHING TSA AGENTS WHO THINK LINUX IS ONLY USED BY TERRORISTS.
>>
You can find military Hardigg/Pelican and related cases (some with shockmounted rackmounts) via Ebay. Your problem is a typical military or musician problem.

You can buy toolbox foam to cut to fit your items. A hobby knife, electric kitchen knife and a Dremel with a coarse burr assisted by a vacuum cleaner are what we used in the Air Force to custom cut toolbox foam.

You can also buy rugged lunchbox computers like Dolch or buy an old one for the case and throw guts in it.

You need to protect your monitor so choose a case with lots of clearance. At least two inches minimum at the edges. Foam can also be purchased with precut squared which you then pluck out with pliers to custom fit.

Go look at cases on Pelican and Hardigg websites. I would avoid military colors and go for yellow or blue or whatever.

Do not fucking pierce your case for a power cord with any conventional hardware. If you fucking must, cough up the money for a Cannon or Amphenol plug and matching socket with metal locking dust cap.

Typical rackmount equipment case has two lids. Remove them, leave device in case and connect your peripherals.

I'd have to hate myself to drag all that around. I'd shit the money for a powerful FULLY rugged notebook then bring peripherals in a separate case. You can easily load a Hackintosh virtual machine if you are trapped in the Mac workflow vendorlocked world.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.