[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I'm driving a couple of 7-segment displays of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: DSC03900.jpg (4MB, 4912x3264px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03900.jpg
4MB, 4912x3264px
Hey guys,
I'm driving a couple of 7-segment displays of a 2s lipo, in a nerf rapidstrike, with a max7219.
The blaster fires darts with two flywheel motors, and when I rev them the max7219 sometimes gets corrupted.

I have the capacitors on the max7219, and the cable for clk/load/din is 24 AWG silicone hobby wire, it's about 15-20 CM I'd estimate to the arduino.

I tried putting capacitors on the motors, and I've currently got a .1 mf ceramic capacitor between each terminal and the motor case, plus an additional .1 mf ceramic between the motor terminals, but it still happens.

I also tried adding a 47 mf, and a 470 mf electrolytic capacitor right before the motors, and it seemed to help a bit, but still happened.

Using a separate power supply for the arduino is possible, although undesirable, space is constrained, and it'd be a pain to have to maintain both batteries.

I was currently thinking about getting a LM2940CT and putting that before either the vcc line of the arduino, the max7219, or both.

Will that help, or would I be wasting my time/money.

Thank you for any advice!
>>
>>1087864

If there's a rat's nest of wires in there, there might be some crosstalk going on that's throwing things off. Clean it up, maybe add some grounded aluminum foil as ghetto shielding.

Without a scope, only other thing I can suggest is adding some LC filtration in addition to the normal bypass cap.
>>
>>1087879
It is a rats nest, but it doesn't corrupt unless I rev the motors, and if I use a different blaster with the same kind of motors, and rev it right next to it, it also is unaffected, so I didn't think it needed shielding.

Perhaps I need a bypass cap on the arduino battery pads also? Although I thought it already had one.

By LC filter, do you mean something like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RTF-LC-FILTER-3AMP-2-4S-FPV-DC-Power-Filter-Noise-Eliminate-/131557375492?hash=item1ea16e3e04:g:qvsAAOSw~gRVpmH7
I'd just put that right before the arduino power hookup, right?

As a last resort, I can just drive the mosfets with transistors, and then run the whole thing off a separate small battery. It'd be a lot nicer to just run it all on one battery though.

I do have a waveforms DAD which has a digital oscilloscope, I can try using that.
I'd want to measure right on the motor leads, right?

It's late now, but I can try measuring it tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.
>>
>>1087864
>The blaster fires darts with two flywheel motors, and when I rev them the max7219 sometimes gets corrupted.
maybe during revving the battery voltage dips down below your digital electronics minimum required voltage causing glitching
>>
>>1087916
Hmm, I didn't think so, since the arduino itself didn't turn off.

My voltimeter has a max function, but not a min, so measuring that would be hard.
>>
>>1088065
Hmm, actually, the arduino does sometimes get reset.
Would capacitors before the arduino help with that?
>>
>>1088071
cram a few thousand uF of caps across the logic supply and see if that helps
>>
>>1088076
How does a single 2,200 one sound?
>>
>>1088086
its worth a shot, just make sure the rated voltage is greater than the bus voltage
>>
>>1088088
It's rated for 25, which should be fine.

Hmm, I also just had a n-chan mosfet die, I wonder if that's from a voltage spike, or because I let it get really hot when soldering it.

It was being used to break the motor, so It was

Bat Vcc -> Pchan mosfet -> nchan mosfet D, motor -> nchan mosfet S, other motor pin -> gnd

The nchan mosfet has it's gate hooked directly to the arduino, the pchan had a transistor controlled by the arduino which connected a path to gnd.
>>
>>1088094
Also seems like the arduino got locked up the same time the mosfet failed.

IT failed by connecting al
>>
>>1088096
It failed by connecting all three pins together.
>>
I'm about to hook up a capacitor before the arduino, I'm also wondering if maybe I should add a larger non ceramic capacitor and flyback diodes to the primary motors.

Would that be
bat + bat -
| |
1000 uF cap + -> - diode + -> 1000 uF cap -
| |
| motor |
>>
Ok, putting a capacitor on the arduino seemed to help with the arduino freezing.
The display is still corrupting, but with the arduino resetting the display it's not too bad.

With the capacitor, I couldn't get the arduino to freeze with my nimh test battery, but it did freeze with the better lipo battery.
I was only holding the cap on the arduino with alligator clips though, so maybe it came loose for a second.
>>
>>1088113
Testing a bit more, without the cap, it seems to get frozen fairly easily, with it, it's hard to freeze it.
I think I'll try two of those caps in parallel then.

Could the caps also perhaps be smoothing out spikes?
>>
Ok, I think flyback diodes and the caps made it a lot better.
I'm not getting any crashing arduino atm.
The display does corrupted a decent amount still, but I can just reset it with the arduino on a regular basis, and live with that. As long as the mosfet doesn't die, and the arduino doesn't crash, I can live with it.

The diodes I'm using are woefulyl underpowered though, so I ordered some Schottky 15A diodes off amazon.

Right now I'm using 1N4001s for both motors, which is way over their specs.

I imagine the Schottky diodes will also conduct better, and get rid of even more surge.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.