[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a dimmable 6-bulb chandelier hanging in my kitchen and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: _20161121_171342.jpg (204KB, 1443x1080px) Image search: [Google]
_20161121_171342.jpg
204KB, 1443x1080px
I have a dimmable 6-bulb chandelier hanging in my kitchen and I recently decided to change the stock incandescent bulbs for dimmable LEDs. After I did that I noticed a loud humming sound coming from the bulbs and I thought it was because I need to install a LED compatible dimmer switch. I did that as well but still hear the humming and can't figure out what's wrong.

Would anybody know what the problem may be? Does it have something to do with my chandelier or the wiring in the house?

A temporary fix might be to just install a normal non-dimmable switch but I'd much rather have dimmable lights.

Pic related are the bulbs I'm using. I'll also post pics of the switch and my chandelier.
>>
File: _20161121_171356.jpg (324KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
_20161121_171356.jpg
324KB, 1440x1080px
The switch I'm using.
>>
File: _20161121_171427.jpg (187KB, 1442x1080px) Image search: [Google]
_20161121_171427.jpg
187KB, 1442x1080px
Lastly, the chandelier.
>>
>>1087752

I installed a very similar dimmer in my house. Even incandescent bulbs buzz with it! I think it's inherent with this type of dimmer.
>>
Iiiii wanna swiiiing, from your.. Tried a different brand of bulb?
>>
You're hearing the 60 hz hum of the house power. Use a better led bulb. Report back with the brand that doesn't hum.
>>
> You're hearing the 60 hz hum of the house power

nah, niggah, they dont hum if you give em nice smooth 60 sine waves. the dimmers create quick discontinuities in the voltage, and that causes current spikes in the coils of the bulb's power supply, who whine loudly to let you know they arent happy about that.

and as OP as just found out, LED-compatible dimmers are just a scam to quintuple the price of a dimmer.

>Use a better led bulb. Report back with the brand that doesn't hum.

this is good advice. alternately get smart bulbs that are self-dimmable by remote control, or bluettoth, or wifi.

as usual, greedy corporations have turned a money-saving technology into a way to create windfall profits.
>>
>>1087839
So should I just put in a normal non-dimmable switch? Or is there a workaround?
>>
Had the same problem, you need to buy dimmable LED bulbs, not regular ones. Easy fix
>>
>>1087847
That's exactly what I did and the buzzing is still there and loud
>>
>>1087873
There are several different types of dimmers. leading-edge (triac-type) dimmers tend to buzz more than the others. Try a trailing-edge dimmer, it will likely help.
>>
>>1087953
>Try a trailing-edge dimmer, it will likely help.

he already did that, nigga. it's in the OP.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.