[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just bought a place that came with an old greenhouse it the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 20141202090529-cust_w53[1].jpg (50KB, 490x338px) Image search: [Google]
20141202090529-cust_w53[1].jpg
50KB, 490x338px
I just bought a place that came with an old greenhouse it the back. Picture semi-related, it's the same style but almost twice as long. It used clear plastic panels that ran from the base to the ridge. The frame is aluminum and it's on a concrete perimeter footing so it's pretty solid... except the panels are fucked. More than half are missing or broken and the ones that remain are getting pretty close to opaque due to age and exposure. I priced out replacements and it's close to a grand to get the materials custom cut and installed from the cheapest place in the area. Fuck that.

I want to just use some clear plastic and tent the frame. What stuff should I use? We get some pretty good wind storms here every now and again so it will have to be tough stuff. I don't want to be replacing it every year or two. Any suggestions?
>>
>>1086790
4 1/2 foot X 75 foot roll of 4 gauge vinyl.
$40
You didn't give specific size of structure or orientation.

https://www.amazon.com/Gauge-Clear-Vinyl-54-Inch-25-Yards/dp/B006QMTUPC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1479621290&sr=8-5&keywords=clear+plastic+sheeting
>>
>>1086801
There's also clear corrugated roofing, but its more expensive.
Anything that will last to a decade+ will be expensive of course.
>>
>>1086801
The walls are just over 8 feet, footing to ridge. It's about 30 feet long. How much is 4 gauge in mil or millimeters? Google just gives me wiring size conversions.

>>1086803
I looked into these and I was unable to find any wide enough to fit on the frame locally. I'll search again online.
>>
>>1086801

Bit if a crap shoot how UV resistant it will be, could be fine, could be crap. Even the good stuff is rated at 4 years life expectancy though.
>>
>>1086801
>>1086803
This is for a greenhouse, you want as much light to get through as possible random translucent plastic will probably be shit.

I thought polycarbonate was cheap, a grand seems a lot. Do it yourself maybe?

Does it have ventilation btw, roof vents and side vents?
>>
>>1086866

Semi-rigid Polycarbonate/Lexan is a pretty expensive plastic. Much more expensive than vinyl or polyethylene on a roll.

A bit of diffusion is good for the plants by the way, though it doesn't look as pretty from the outside.
>>
>>1086868
It's only good for the plants if they don't want full sun or if it gets too hot inside, but you can control shading in a greenhouse quite easily same with tenmperature so I would say you're better off getting as much light as possible.
>>
OP here.

>>1086871
Light isn't that big of a deal, we get plenty of sun all year. The winters get cold and freeze at night, so it's more to keep some heat in to prevent frost damage and keep the rain off my tools.

>>1086866
>Do it yourself maybe?
I don't have the skills to cut plastic or even know what plastic to use. So I'd rather use something off the shelf if I'm going to do it myself.
>Does it have ventilation btw, roof vents and side vents?
There are adjustable louvered vents next to the doors at both ends.
>>
>>1086884

For insulation in winter you need some kind of double glazing. There is bubble wrap with UV stabilizers.

You could put one permanent layer on the outside, and then an extra temporary layer on the inside during winter.
>>
>>1086911

Insulate the floor too BTW.
>>
>>1086884
>>1086911
Bubble wrap definitely works, wouldn't put it outside though, it'll just fall apart.

I presume you're going to heat the greenhouse too?
>>
File: Keder_roof_Taking_the_strain.jpg (78KB, 416x721px) Image search: [Google]
Keder_roof_Taking_the_strain.jpg
78KB, 416x721px
>>1086921

There's professional grade used for greenhouses, but it's no cheaper than twin wall polycarbonate.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.