[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for a miter saw but I'm a bit of a dumbass. Is a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9

File: 61970_zzz_alt1_500.jpg (153KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
61970_zzz_alt1_500.jpg
153KB, 1200x1200px
Looking for a miter saw but I'm a bit of a dumbass. Is a miter saw different from a compound miter saw?

Have my eye on a 10' sliding compound miter saw to build a floating deck with a pergola next summer, waiting to see if I can get a good deal on black friday. I have plans for a design on the decking, something like herringbone with alternating colored planks. I would need tight beveled cuts for that, right, or would that be an angled cut?
>>
>>1086423

It's a miter cut.
>>
Whats the opinion of rigid saws?
>>
File: FH03DJA_MODWOR_03.jpg (44KB, 450x355px) Image search: [Google]
FH03DJA_MODWOR_03.jpg
44KB, 450x355px
I have a 20 yo. Delta non slider and have been looking too. I like the makita because it has dual slides, also I think Hitachi has a dual slide. I am really wanting a Bosch with the articulated arms. I have a workbench built around the saw so the sliding is a concern.
This was my basis
>>
>>1086423
Mitre cut is essentially the yaw of the blade, hold out your hand like you are about to karate chop then wriggle it like a fish tail. That's a normal mitre saw. Good for doing angles in one dimension like skirting boards or decking planks and shit like that.
Now imagine you want to make a flower pot in the shape of a cube using 4 pieces of wood, you would use an adjustable mitre saw. But if you want to make it smaller at the bottom like a normal flower pot is you need the cut to have two angles, think about it. That's what compound mitre saw is, two angles. The second angle comes from the roll of the blade like in the picture.

Consider that actually the cube flower pot would be difficult to cut on a normal mitre saw because the cut is the height of the piece, it probably won't fit.
With a compound mitre you can move the single angle cut into a different axis, you can cut the piece with it sitting flat on the table which is much better. So its useful for single angle mitre cuts too.
>>
File: Snapchat-7383952425106592122.jpg (700KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-7383952425106592122.jpg
700KB, 1440x2560px
Buy this never look back
>>
>>1086485

Thanks anon, that makes a lot more sense.
>>
>>1086463
>rigid
No such brand. Did you mean Ridgid? When it comes to power tools they are a brand that Home Depot has licenced from Emerson to be their 'house brand' for power tools. Husky is their hand tools house brand. While Ridgid hand tools (pipe wrenches, other plumbing tools) are generally good quality, made in the USA and available many places, their power tools are made by TTi (Ryobi) in Taiwan and China and can generally only be found at Home Depot new. Do you think Craftsman power tools are better? Guess who makes those...
>>
>>1086423
Dewalt DW715 @ $200 is the best bang for buck in terms of accuracy and a high quality saw.
Its a 12 inch non sliding saw, it can cut a 4x4, 2x6 1x8.

The only thing dewalt does right is their saws.

Obviously the Dewalt belt drive compound sliding saws are fucking amazing, but arent cheap.

If you buy a slider, dont buy a cheap one that wont be accurate. If you dont have the money to buy a proper slider, buy a non slider.
>>
>>1086503
Fury 3B owner here, this guy aint lying
>>
>>1086589

If he used 6 inch boards for the deck then together with the miter he would already be well beyond 8 inch of cut length.
>>
>>1086577

I was never of the opinion craftsman was better quality, just better commercialized.

Looking it up I didn't know TTI made Milwaukee either. Surely these motherbrands give companies like Milwaukee and Dewalt better quality control than Ryobi or Ridgid?

>>1086589

I was reading that 12' blades flex during the cut which make them less accurate. You can buy a blade dampener but that decreases the cutting space to 10'. Is that just for cabinet makers that need (desire) 100% accuracy?

>>1086660

Not sure what that means, is that good or bad? I like the idea of larger planks such as 1x8 for the decking but that can change, it doesn't really matter.
>>
File: 136mm 30T Metal Blade.jpg (266KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
136mm 30T Metal Blade.jpg
266KB, 900x900px
ppl in trades are going toward a saw that runs TCT blades now. In the long run its better to get a TCT miter saw than a normal wood miter saw. a good one is Evolution Rage 3
>>
File: prod_1395128912.jpg (104KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
prod_1395128912.jpg
104KB, 1000x1000px
I have the Craftsman 10" compact sliding miter saw.

It has a unique design in that the slides are mounted rigidly on the base, jutting forward. The blade/motor assembly slides on the rails forward and back. On other machines, the rails are fixed to the blade/motor and so you need a lot of open space in the back so you can move the blade forward.

I got it for $200 or something at Sears. It has outstanding accuracy, and the compact design means you can actually put it up against a wall and not bump anything.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3434x2959px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3434x2959px
TTI = Milwaukee, Ryobi, AEG for 240v (europe, australia), Ridgid licenced the branding for power-tools for 110v ('merica)

They often cross design their products, for example the recent cordless brad nailer for ryobi got ported to the AEG/Ridgid brand then polished more and marketed with Milwaukee regalia.

I dunno about Makita tho i have head they are somewhat owned by TTI
>>
>>1086850

>Not sure what that means, is that good or bad?

It means that if you want to have the option of using wide boards you'd better go for a sliding one.
>>
A small bump and a stupid question:

What applications would you need a 45 bevel and a 45 miter on the same cut?
>>
File: X-USArmy-RoofFraming[1].jpg (30KB, 521x244px) Image search: [Google]
X-USArmy-RoofFraming[1].jpg
30KB, 521x244px
>>1086850
TTI is a manufacturer. Ridgid and Craftsman are just brands owned by others. There is no telling what is inside a drill until you open it. Maybe the Craftsman drill made by TTI for Sears is using the guts of a Milwaukee but maybe it's a Ryobi. Same deal with Ridgid. The other issue you have is that shit can change anytime. Most companies aren't going to mess around with the quality of their various brand names. Ryobi will be TTIs budget line and Milwaukee their high-end line. But Home Depot or Sears or whoever is farming out their manufacturing might decide to save a buck and go with a lower quality OEM at any time. This is why Craftsman tools aren't nearly as good as the used to be. This is also why I don't bother with Husky hand tools anymore. I got a set as a gift and it was great. I bought a second set a few years later of basically the same kit for my truck. Went to use it and two of the fucking open ended wrenches broke on me during an emergency. Totally garbage quality even though the finish was better. I keep my dad's old Craftsman set from the 60's in there now.

>>1086882
I see it in framing a fair amount. Pic related. Look at the "common rafters" where they join the "hip rafters" on the left side.
>>
>>1086858
>Sears employee desperately trying to save his job found

My old man bought that exact one, because he swore by Craftsman. Returned it the same day because none of the miter locks would hold.
>>
>>1086882
crown moulding
>>
>>1086986
Craftsman power tools have been shit for 2 decades
>>
>>1086859
Makita is wholly owned by makita

Absolutely no touching by tti
>>
File: 028877505756.jpg (140KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
028877505756.jpg
140KB, 900x900px
>>1086503
>>1086640

Home depot sells an evolution 15amp 10' sliding saw, is it the same one?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Evolution-Power-Tools-15-Amp-10-in-Multi-Purpose-Compound-Sliding-Miter-Saw-RAGE3/203649414
>>
Posted wrong picture
>>
>>1087941
Thats a rage not a fury, but evo is an evo, so yeah it will do
>>
Well I don't know if I'm just tired of looking at miter saws and just gave up or the reviews for the evolution line are that good but if no one tries to talk me out of it, I'm gonna go with the Evo Rage3 Sliding, 10' compound miter.
>>
>>1088334
the reviews on the amazon page say they redesigned it and cheapened it significantly quality wise
>>
>>1086423
do they make saws that can move towards the operator?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.