[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Attention car owners! Concerned anon here to make sure that you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

File: flat-tire-13760796.jpg (57KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
flat-tire-13760796.jpg
57KB, 400x266px
Attention car owners! Concerned anon here to make sure that you know/have the following:
-A scissor jack or some kind of jack in your car (and the appropriate tool to turn the scissor jack upward)
-A spare tire inflated to the correct psi as outlined by your car's owner's manual
-A tire plug kit for tire punctures
-A lug nut tire wrench (the x kind or the classic "rumble in the jungle" gang weapon tire iron)
-A torque wrench with good leverage for later

Please don't be like me and get stuck without ever having changed tires once in your life. DO it under controlled circumstances. That is all.
>>
>>1086014
Im as fond of /diy/ as the next Man - but, I cant remeber a year where I haven't got my moneys worth out of a car breakdown/recovery association membership. Can have the ability to do everything - but lock yourself out in the middle of fucking nowhere, tools in the car, and its raining ? - you'l be glad. Change a tyre on a motorway/busy highway? - fuck that.

Where I would agree, 100-pro - check your spare, and carry a good one.. and if you driving the kind of shitheap where someones stole the jack, you got other problems.
>inb4 forty paragraph replies on all the shit you MUST carry in your car, at ALL times.
>>
>>1086021
I have a membership with "save your ass in a jiff.co" but I want to do it myself!
>>
who here puts anit-sieze on their wheel studs?
>>
>>1086014

Jesus Christ op, once bitten twice shy?

Never had a need for half that shit.
>>
>>1086048
Thrice bitten.

3 screws in one tire in one day in 1 second. 1 Screw broke in half and both ends went straight into the tire and punctured it--while half a screw became embedded but not deep enough to puncture.
>>
I wouldnt be caught dead with out my landscaping trailer during a weekday.

Everyone should tow one just in case you run across someone willing to pay you to cut their lawn

>never needed a trailer full of landscaping equipment

Top kek. It'll catch up with you one day.
>>
>>1086037
Nobody with a brain. Torque is for the dry thread, as soon as you lube it up it is easier to over tighten which is bad. Probably worse than not tight enough.

>>1086048
You don't have a spare tyre in your car? Pretty dumb. All cars come with a way of repairing a wheel, you either get all that shit in your car somewhere or a can of expanding foam. Thing about expanding foam is that it ruins the tyre, you can't get it patched.

Changing a tire and getting back on the road vs waiting an hour for recover just so some guy can cuck me? Hmmm..

You shouldn't be allowed a fucking license unless you can demonstrate the ability to change a tire. Basic vehicle maintenance should be daily/weekly checks of things like tire tread/pressure/wobble/bolts
It's literally where the rubber meets the road. Fucking hell guys.
>>
>>1086073
>>1086073

If police recordings mean anything. A car pulled over on the side of the road is basically a magnet to an American driver.
>>
>>1086073
>just so some guy can cuck me?
..insecure much, anon? ;)
actually, while were on the subject, what you should definitely check - do you have locking 'security' wheelnuts? (ant-theft things, need an adapter to remove those, usually one per wheel) - if so, do you know where the fucking adapter is?

Been caught out there once or twice - fucking stupid idea, you live where someones gonna steal your alloys? move.
>>
>>1086079
The quicker you get the wheel swapped over the less chance of getting cunted.
Every hour you wait on recovery is an extra 1000 cars passing that might end up parked on your driver seat.
>>
Years ago I had 3 punctures in one day out bush. The tyres were almost stuffed any how. It was fwd so put. The good 2 on the front. Would drive for a little bit then stop to let the flat cool. Got to a river and decided water inside could help. Dunked the whole wheel and repeatedly squashed it making it suck in water. Drove some more and discovered the 3rd flat. Had to pump up the other flat about 3 times on the way home at home but was out of the bush by that stage.
>>
>>1086014
/no/
>be me
>have 6 cars
>always have 2 broken down
>dont carry so much as bailing wire
>dont hardly leave town
>all tires get 35 pounds
>FUCKING BASED ROAD GRADERS
>have yard full of tires
>have bro with tire machine
>dad have racing jack and electric impact
Mfw if its not a 5 minute tire change i throw a chain on it and drag ot down the fucking highway to my dad's shop.

You advise is solid for normies tho. I have lived ina cirty before.
>>
File: 725_a.png (112KB, 400x345px)
725_a.png
112KB, 400x345px
>>1086037
I dont but only because i dont want to look like this from being within 10 feet of a fucking jar of that shit. I do grab a can of micromist about 5 times a year and soak the fuckers tho. Impact/10. Fuckit.
>>
>>1086014
Pro mode:
>Hydraulic floor jack (OEM jacks are garbage, if nothing else buy a $29 hydraulic jack from local auto parts store).
>Board for jack support in case of muddy conditions
>(2) 4 way tire irons (one in metric, one standard) to help someone else who has different sized lugs than you
>>
>>1086148
If you don't tow a trailer with at least a two post lift, enough concrete rebar and a mixer to lay a workbay and a fully loaded rollcab with you at all times you ain't shit.
>>
>>1086160
>>1086067
hehehehe you chucklefucks.

Especially this:
>>1086067
>Everyone should tow [a trailer full of landscaping tools/machinery] one just in case you run across someone willing to pay you to cut their lawn
>>
>>1086037
nah, it never seemed like a good idea.
but the hub/wheel contact patch and those little bastard countersunk screws that hold the disc to the hub get a good smearing.
>>
I have roadside assistance but fuck waiting. I'm a mechanic and I'm prepared and I live in a rural area where help isn't instant. I keep two jacks in each of my trucks. If needed one can serve as a chock to prevent rolling, Ford truck style jacks and heavy Chevrolet pantograph jacks are my faves. I collect extras as welding positioners, motorcycle jacks (the pantograph style), machine pushers and lifters (I do light rigging to save costs when buying machine tools and helping my bros) and more. Jacks are life.

Get the + style wrench for superior leverage. You can hold the outboard socket end and step on the leftmost socket end to break torque with little effort, and if you are weak or just like convenience, that style works best with a cheater pipe.

I anti-seize all my lugs. No problems with that, ever, since the 1970s. I torque them properly. I hate stuck lugs and broken studs after working in a used car lot, so that will not happen on my watch.

>all tires get 35 pounds

ditto.

>have yard full of tires

ditto

>have bro with tire machine

Have own small Coats bike tire machine, hunting larger one but farmers snatch those up. Dammit.

>dad have racing jack and electric impact

Have multiple jacks, Milwaukee 28V electric impact, pneumatic impacts and CO2 tanks with 200psi fixed pressure regulator to inflate tires and run pneumatic impacts. I fucking love CO2 and reject buying an expensive Power Tank. Western 200 psi fixed pressure regulator and a BRASS Milton pneumatic chuck = win. I use a longish RUBBER (not retractile plastic) hose so CO2 has time to gasify. A kegerator cylinder is enough for emergencies, but bigger is better so I have those too, praise be to Craigslist.

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Enterprises-RP320200-Regulator-Spring/dp/B008BJYHYW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1479506904&sr=1-1&keywords=Western+Enterprises+RP320200
>>
Punctures are often down to shit ass workmen leaving their rubbish in the parking lot
>>
>>1086207
My next door neighbour had a new boiler fitted and the cowboy fitters got sacked when I reported that they left 15 screws in the parking lot
>>
>>1086021
I've got road service, but sometimes shit is fucked.
I blew a tire in the middle of nowhere last winter. It was 45 minutes to the nearest town. After calling for a tow, it took them almost 3 hours to get there because of miscommunications on their end. It was below zero.
I have a spare and a jack now
>>
>>1086086
Mine's in a ziplock velcro'd to the bottom of my seat.
>>
A strongly suggest a first-aid kit, even a simple one. I had my window down on the freeway, and another car came by me doing easily 20 over, flung a rock into my car that hit me in the eyebrow. I wasn't concussion but goddamn if I wasn't bleeding everywhere.
>>
>>1086219
Any good first aid kit will have gloves and a CPR face shield, those alone are worth taking a kit for. You don't want to get some shitty disease as reward for saving someone's life, although I'd still take the risk if I had to.
>>
>>1086126
fucking anti-seize and it's magical {get on everything near it within 1 quarter mile} properties.

Fucking hate that shit
>>
>>1086021
Most cars dont come with spare tires now.
>>
File: 41xjVQvErTL[1].jpg (17KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
41xjVQvErTL[1].jpg
17KB, 400x400px
>>1086014
If you get a nail or screw in your tire just use one of these. It'll easily get you home, and they're fine for driving around town. I probably wouldn't trust it for a long trip though, unless you had to.
>>
>>1086014
I got stuck one winter with a worn out battery. Ever since I've bought 72 month batteries and replaced them after 60 months. Haven't been stuck since.
>>
>>1086021
This anon gets it.

I run a small remodeling business. I have about 3-7 guys on staff with two trucks and a van.

I had a guy who worked for me doing finishing carpentry. Guy was like an idiot savant. He could do some amazing and fast trim and finishing work. Outside of that the guy was a fucking retard.

Got a flat one day when he was alone. Somehow managed to mangle the entire wheel hub trying to get a fucking tire off. Never bothered to call one of the other guys. Never bothered to call a tow truck. Just sat there fucking it up worse and worse for over two hours.

Ended up costing me close to 1k to get it fixed.

Now I just pay less than $200 a year to cover 5 vehicles with a business roadside assistance plan. Three work vehicles and two personal. Plus it makes the wife happy because she travels a lot and it applies to any vehicle she is in (rental or a work vehicle).

Changing a tire is still something ever vehicle operator should learn though.
>>
>>1086021
I drive an old ford. I can break into it with a shoelace and a stick.
>>
>>1086250
Tip from a tire guy, no place is going to touch your tire after you've used this. You're better off using fix a flat and letting a tech deal with that mess. Those plugs are shit.
>>
>>1086442
this. tire plugs are an easy way to ruin your tire and have the tread separate.

just put on the spare instead.
>>
>>1086442
i thought those plug things were only for lawnmower tires
>>
>>1086452

>>1086442
Using a plug kit on the road is fine as long as it's a decent plug. Use the rope ones not that dollar store rubber plug shit.
As far as separating chords, I've got a plug in the rear tire of one of my motorcycles that been there for 5 years. Drag cars will use them at the track and pull a 700hp burnout on them.
Once in bumfuk Egypt I plugged a tire with a small screwdriver, a piece of leather shoelace and bubblegum and drove on the tire for another 4 months.
>>
>>1086148
This

I carry a floor jack and 4-way. Change someones tire in less time than it takes to dig out the spare
Fuck Sissor jacks.

Don't really need a torque wrench. My 200 lb fat ass at 1 foot = 200ft-lbs
>>
File: 1470682234879.jpg (92KB, 707x900px) Image search: [Google]
1470682234879.jpg
92KB, 707x900px
There are a lot of fucken morons in this thread.

DIY seems like it's filled with people who never do it themselves.
>>
>>1086228
Lol. Yup.

I dont understand why it aint on the list with helicopters and bumble bees for breaking physics
>>
>>1086067
>>1086125
>>1086148
>>1086181
>>1086067

you guys all doing it wrong. pic related it my crew that I ride around with at all times in case of a flat. my boys get out and have it covered. worth every penny
>>
>>1086442
Why would I care about some minimum wage tire guy touching my repaired wheel?
>>
>>1086654
Tire* whoops don't post an autismalitis tantrum.
>>
JESUS FUCK WHY IS EVERY IMAGE IN THIS THREAD ON IS.4CHAN AND TAKING FUCKING HOURS TO LOAD! WHY HAVENT THEY FIXED THIS FUCKING SERVER YET JESUS FUCK SHIT FUCKING CHINK MOOT BITCH!

to stay on topic; I hate motherfuckers who leave screws and nails laying around when they are working. I want to beat these motherfuckers with my tire iron!
>>
>>1086486
>I dont understand why it aint on the list with helicopters and bumble bees for breaking physics

They don't break physics.
>>
>>1086685
It's not going to be fixed and you'll come here anyway.

All bow to Hiroshmoot.
>>
>>1086685
>EVERY IMAGE
should only be is.4chan,org images that are slow.. i.4cdn.org hosted images should be OK?

If running slow, mouseover, and forget clicking on is.4chan.org images. Protip: you _really_ want to see an is.4chan,org hosted image, and it aint loading? Change the adddress to i.4cdn.org, ie.

>https://is.4chan.org/diy/1479571359600.jpg
>https://i.4cdn.org/diy/1479571359600.jpg

its all the same thing, only, the first will be painfuly slow, on occasion. And occasions, under our New Management, are increasingly frequent.
>>
>>1086707

well the majority of the images in this thread seem to be on is.4chan thats what im saying. so its making the thread seem shitty when you have to hover and wait 5 mins for a fuckin image to load
>>
>>1086442
I've gone 130mph on a tire I plugged the first day I bought the car, holds air like a champ
>>
>>1086442
Use plugs all the time and have never had an issue. Hell I have a tractor tire that was plugged decades ago and it's still fine. Also just replaced a combine tire that was 13 years old and I counted 22 plugs in it

When used in car tires they should still be patched when you get a chance but really in all likelihood you could run it for years and never have an issue
>>
>>1086014
you forgot a hatchet

nothing like having a full size spare and a decent floor jack (so you don't have to use that shitty scissor jack that will crumple on uneven ground), only to get a flat on some shitty back road that's in desperate need of repaving but is on its forth patch job by the county. you can;t get your jack under the car, or you can;t get the car up high enough to get the full size spare on.

with a hatchet you can just chop a hole in the pavement so you can do that you have to do, without worrying about destroying your rim driving to a suitable location just to be able to change the tire.
>>
>>1086825
Or some 2x4s to drive onto to raise it higher

Source: bought a jack that won't fit under car
>>
>>1086442
Yeah I have no idea why you're against plugs, I plug my motorcycle tires whenever they get a screw or something in them.

Hell I've raced motorcycles on plugged tires
>>
>>1086462
Yes this.
Most of those scissor jacks are shit.
I've seen them topple over, bend and twisr under load.
The exception would be the really old ones that were pretty heavy duty and had a good sized base.
>>
File: 20161031_152321.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20161031_152321.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1086250
>>1086442
Nope to plugs or "Fix-a-Flat". Air it up or put the spare on and go get it fixed correctly.
>>
>>1086806
>>1087180
This is just the crap the tire co.s are spreading to sell tires, and he's obviously drank the Koolaid.
If tire companies were that concerned they'd stop selling steel belteds.
I'm going to jack the thread for a minute and drop a redpill on steelbelts.
Does anyone know why everyone car has steel belted tires?
Because people are stupid.
A tire company came up with the gimmick and a big ad campaign about "Steel's stronger than nylon" and the idiotic public ate it up. Before you know it every tire company was selling them and it wasn't cost efficient to keep making two types of tires.
Do tractor trailers use steel belt? Construction equipment? Agricultural equipment? The military? Airplanes? Racecars? No.
Rubber bonds better to nylon or poly and it's more flexible.
The rubber that actually makes the tire hold air is the thin layer sprayed on the inside of the tire. It's also the most expensive rubber used in the tire. MManufacturers have been using a thinner and thinner layer of this rubber recently, letting the air bleed through the tire. With the air comes moisture that when it reacts to the metal in the steel cord starts corroding and weakens the rubber bond, causing belt seperation.
This doesn't happen with nylon or poly cord.
>>
OP here, my plug repaired tire (which took 4 attempts on two holes to get right for some reason...) has been holding air at the recommended psi for two weeks. It seems to have worked.

Glad I don't have to get new tires yet.

13$ fix.

That is all.
>>
>>1088720
That's why I use the truck pantograph jacks. The car shits are weak.
>>
>>1088973
AG:
http://agricultural.michelinman.com/us/Properly-use-your-tires/Radial-or-bias-the-right-choice

Military:
http://www.boyceequipment.com/military-tires

Aircraft have light weight as a priority so I've not seen steel used there.

Construction:
http://www.forconstructionpros.com/article/12213699/radial-tires-gain-traction-in-compact-construction-equipment-industry

Reason steel belts not used in F1. Track is not street:

https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/inside-f1/understanding-f1-racing/Tyres.html
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.