[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/! I work at a party cleaning/fixup service, and there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: pencil helium.png (79KB, 1007x648px) Image search: [Google]
pencil helium.png
79KB, 1007x648px
Hey /diy/!

I work at a party cleaning/fixup service, and there are always a metric fuck ton of helium balloons left over.

I was wondering if there is a way I can extract the helium from each balloon and put it back into a metal or glass container for long term storage, preferably a hand pump run system.

Picture is a pencil shaped stabber thing that you put in the balloon and connect some sort of hose or housing to the threaded side for the helium to go to, i came up with it but idk what you would attach it to.

Ideas?

tnx
>>
It could work if it's really thin, like a needle so the ballon doesn't pop. When working on the air-conditioner of a car you have to first pump out the Freon, then you can add it all back. The Freon is stored in a metal container, kind of like an air compressor tank. You might look into rigging up a system like that.
>>
>>1086004
If you put a small piece of sellotape on the surface of the inflated balloon, you can then pierce it without bursting it. If not, it doesn't really matter how small a needle you use, it's gonna pop.
>>
>>1086000

How I would do it

>build air tight box
>install a pump
>install a way to pop the balloons (electric spark maybe?) Without opening the case
>add balloons
>pump out the dirty air
>attach He tank
>pop blooms
>capture helium

Based on my middle school level knowledge of physics, your straw will only work if the pressure inside of the balloon is greater than the pressure of the tank.

Also unsure of the amount of stretch your balloons will take since they will expand under a vacuum, but that can probably be fixed by just adding more balloons per batch.
>>
>>1086055

I just realized the only thing you need to pop them is some sharp tacks glued to the side of the box. As the balloons expand in the vacuum of the box they will be forced to rupture either by the tacks, or by the rubber reaching its elastic limit.
>>
>>1086055

For some reason i thought we were talking about hydrogen

>(electric spark maybe?)
>SHIT NIGGER WHAT ARE YOU DOING.

But then i realized it was helium and everything was k.
>>
>>1086017
You can pierce the top or bottom of the balloon. The forces on the balloon are contracting around these points instead of pushing away. Thank you based Mr. Science.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFGR_EBiEr4
>>
>>1086055
sweeto!

I will try to do this
>>
>>1086999
Don't bother. You'd need something like a turbo vacuum pump to get out enough air to not completely contaminate the He.
>>
>>1086263
Blimp boy would beg to differ.
>>
>>1087001
Helium floats in air surprisingly enough. Just leave your box still for a bit and siphon it off the top.
>>
>>1086263
Potassium?
>>
>>1086000
>long term storage

if you figure that out you'll be a billionaire over night. helium atoms are small and they will all escape through whatever you try to store them in, even in liquid form it becomes a super fluid and will escape its container.

also if you put a piece of scotch tape over the balloon you can pierce it with needle and it won't pop, just do that under a 50 gal garbage can turned upside down, after 7-8 balloons just stick a bicycle pump up in the garbage can and fill up an inner tube until you can put a lit match up at the top of the inside of the garbage can.
>>
>>1086000
If it matters helium balloons contains only 80% helium by volume
>>
Horrible use of Autodesk Inventor
>>
>>1090140

Came here to say this

Helium is a cunt to contain, so much that it's almost impossible to keep small amounts for long periods of time

That's why balloons shrink, anon, they don't have holes, Helium is just really hard to contain.
>>
>>1090334
helium molecules are tiny and pass through the latex/mylar balloons.......
so in essence.... they do have holes in them.
>>
Easy. You need a so-called booster:
https://www.divegearexpress.com/haskel-mini-sport-booster

And a storage tank:
https://www.divegearexpress.com/luxfer-al-80

This is done regularly in the diving world, since He is so fucking expensive.
>>
If it takes your 10 seconds to handle each balloon to recover the helium and pay your self minimum wage would you make money on reselling the helium?
>>
>>1086055
This except you put balloons in closed space and start removing air
Put spikes in the box
Balloons with helium should expand and take op whole space, popping themselves
You have only helium in enclosed space now
>>
>>1086000
>long term storage

This is some funny shit
>>
>>1086000
What if you like put empty the balloons INTO A BALLOON?

It's sounds crazy, but that's what the pro's do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZkMQkHGj1s
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.