[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How big can a single person build.. with maybe 2 helpers. I want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: cottage-25_01.jpg (104KB, 746x499px) Image search: [Google]
cottage-25_01.jpg
104KB, 746x499px
How big can a single person build.. with maybe 2 helpers. I want to build a cottage. one room and loft.
is 700 square feet feasible for 1 or 2 men.. only ever shingled and built decks

why arent there more "homes" threads
>>
How big? With the right tools and enough time probably a million square foot house, at least 2 levels.

>why arent there more "homes" threads
Because most of us here on this Swedish canning forum either don't have enough money to buy a house, don't have the skills to build a house, or don't have the money to /diy/ their own house.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2KfsJoZCnM

2 guys if you know what you're doing
>>
>>1085161
If you're going to put time and money Into making a home. Make it so it can at least hold your family
>>
>>1085161
Depends on how much time you have, but in reality you can build as big as you want.

Code enforcement really killed the /diy/ home. So many things have to be done by a licensed person that it makes it pointless to /diy/ sometimes. I'm lucky though and live out in the country so no codes. I just lack money and time.
>>
>>1085188
holy shit, this guy is based
>>
>>1085196

>can it hold 2 men.

OP clearly wants it to hold his family annon.
>>
File: 1479354914881.jpg (299KB, 1000x1375px) Image search: [Google]
1479354914881.jpg
299KB, 1000x1375px
>>1085225

http://nobuildingcodes.com/
A Guide to States with No Building Codes
>mf
>>
>>1085163
builder loans are like 7% aren't they? I can't afford that
>>
>>1085344
Can't afford what? $100k, $400k?

You'll need to buy land, then the materials cost, then I assume your 1-2 builder helpers will want to be paid in some form. Part of hiring a contractor and paying their idiotic prices is knowing they'll get it done correctly and it'll pass code inspection to avoid being evicted from the place you just built, as well as have it standing in 10 years with no additional effort.
>>
>>1085348
It's just that I could buy a finished house and renovate as I live in it and get 3% instead. I've considered building a house or just acting as general contractor and hiring the people I need while finishing what I can but I don't think it will work out. I think I will just buy the most land I can afford with a house that's good enough and see what I can do.
>>
>>1085349
In the US you most certainly can act as your own general contractor to save about 15% on the total project. However most people have no fucking idea how to act as a general and build a house from the slab up.
>>
>>1085350
I've got time and I'd learn beforehand. I've renovated a couple of buildings and I helped someone with the late stages of building their own house. I'm confident I'd be able to do it but at the moment I'm not confident I wouldn't get robbed by asshole contractors.
>>
>>1085161
>why arent there more "homes" threads
too many people have the fantasy that they are going to make a house out in the middle of nowhere, with very little money, no tools, no experience, no regulations, no taxes, and not have to worry about water, power, or septic....
they come here to ask how to do it

either that or it's a shipping container thread
>>
>>1085358
This. Also, in order to do it you need to have some bucks saved back so you can live somewhere else while you're building. Or you have to bust ass to get up what OP is proposing asap: a very basic shack, that you will then build on to around yourself while you shit in coffee cans and wear clothes that haven't been washed in a month. And it'll take you a couple of years, depending on where in the country you are. Most women won't put up with that, even for a 15% discount.

But for two gay, diy-type guys this could very well be heaven.
>>
Build a 8x8 shed by yourself to gain experience, sell it if you don't need it (actually pretty lucrative as a side hustle)

Move up to a small car port, sell it if you don't need it.

Now it's your time to shine, get a couple of good buds to help you. Once your house is finished on the outside you can do everything else inside at your leisure.

>>>>This is how I did it
>>
>>1085188
This is very satisfying to watch.
>>
>>1085161
2 workers for the framing and foundational work.

Dont do plumbing or electrical yourself.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.