[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cordless impact driver, I fucking want one. I have a couple

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

Cordless impact driver, I fucking want one. I have a couple of different corded drills, and they are fine, but they are not ideal driving long screws and working on cars.

Black Friday is coming up. Home Depot has the following kits on sale and I can't make up my mind.

12v Makita $99: https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/CT226

18v Makita $149: https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/CT200RW

18v Milwaukee $149: https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/combo-kits/2691-22

It's impossible to pick. Part of me feels like 12v would be fine, but then my inferiority complex starts kicking in. There is just so much jargon and bullshit surrounding cordless tools. What do?
>>
>>1085013
I'd go with the Makita over the Milwaukee unless you already have some Milwaukee tools that use the same batteries. 12v vs 18v is all up to you.
>>
>>1085013
Milwaukee.
Youll be glad you have the batteries when the Fuel line gets cheaper.

Thats what I did, im waiting to get a deal on some fuel shit.
>>
Makita
>>
my craftsman uses a half inch chuck or some shit

p. much useless since i don't have an adapter

fuck sears.
>>
>>1085013
DEWALT
DEEEEWAAASLLLLYTT
REEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1085121
1/2 square drive would be an impact wrench, not an impact driver.An impact driver is inherently a 1/4 hex.
>>
>>1085013
Go for 18v
Other than that theres no real difference between the makita or milwaukee you will notice.
Check to see which brand has a better deal on batteries. I think milwaukee has a 2 fro the price of 1 battery packs now, im not sure about makita.
>>
depends on what other tools you have that are compatible with the batteries. its just more convienent that way. I personally love how small and yet capable the mikita 12v is. ive also used the ridgid in the picture and it was pretty good, about the same level as a dewalt that I got my hands on. the bosch is clunky as fuck and I wouldn't want it for anything auto related
>>
>>1085099
>>1085128
I am starting from nothing. I only have corded tools.

>>1085108
Not a bad point. Myabe Milwaukee is better because there are a lot more used Milwaukee tools at pawnshops here. I don't need a cordless sawzall, but it would be nice. I'll perform a more thorough inspection of the local used tool stock.

I would be a used driver and/or drill, but they rarely come with batteries or a charger. I would spend $100 on two fresh batteries and a charger alone, so this seems like a good deal.
I noticed that the Milwaukee batteries are only 1.5Ah and the Makita 18v are 2.0 Ah (12v are 1.5Ah). I don't think that matters to me. I'm not a contractor or anything and with two batteries, I doubt I'll ever run dry.
>>
Definitely 18V of any lineup vs the 12Vs.

The tool lineups for the 18V tools for any given brand is much better.

I'm a Dewalt man.
>>
>>1085123
well i aint got a 1/4 inch adapter nigger.

who the fuck has the on hand?

no one.

that's who

fuck 1/4 inch and fuck you.
>>
File: thW3GN3SGZ.jpg (8KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
thW3GN3SGZ.jpg
8KB, 300x300px
>>1085133
>tfw all your tools are the same brand with enough batteries to work all day non stop.
>>
>>1085013

If price is a concern. Just get a lemon green ryobi one for $79.99.

But note that if you want to drive screws the 1/4" is better or if you want to crack bolts then you want a 1/2".

With ryobi you get 18v at 10.8v price and no one steals it or wants to borrow it but it gets the job done. If you want cream of the crop you'd better get an oil impulse or you may as well be wearing last years fashion.
>>
File: ISW550X.jpg (391KB, 1601x2150px) Image search: [Google]
ISW550X.jpg
391KB, 1601x2150px
>>1085150
>tfw you don't have to work outside all day
>>
>>1085133
Those are the "compact" milwaukee batteries. Milwaukee jews you when you buy the combo packs.
You can get larger batteries by buying different combos, or just the batteries themselves.

They do weird shit, like adding a canvas bag, or using a blown case, or having no storage and selling in a cardboard box, or using regular batteries vs compact batteries, using old vs new iterations of their drills to make different price points at different stores.

Its annoying to try and decipher it. Im still happy with the performance of my milwaukee stuff.

I bought this kit
https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/597292-milwaukee-m18-cordless-lithium-ion-2-tool-combo-kit.html

It has the older generation m18 1/2 compact drill
I just checked and the one in the OP is newer. Its slightly more powerful and slightly shorter. The chucks are really fucking nice on a drill this size
>>
>>1085135
What the hell are you talking about?

Every brand out there sells impact wrenches too.
Nobody has a 1/2 square to 1/4 hex adapters on hand, because they are fucking retarded.
You just arent using your tool for what it was intended to do.
>>
Depends what kind of work you are doing. 12v is gonna be fine for 99% of stuff, unless your like a mechanic or something

What is your trade OP?

I like milwaukee btw
>>
>>1085164
>trade
Fucking around the garage and house.
>>
>>1085167
fuck these niggers telling you to get the 18v. I literally HAD an 18v milwaukee impact for work, and it was just way too much power for what an impact is used for. If you want an 18v drill, get the drill/driver.

If you want an impact, save your wrist and get the 12v.

However, the 2 tool combo is a really fucking good deal. If you can get that, then the drill/driver is worth dealing with a stupidly large impact
>>
>>1085170
The combos can be really good deals. An 18v impact is $99. Why bother when you get an extra battery and drill for $50 more?
>>
File: 60123_48-59-1812_5-lg.gif (65KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
60123_48-59-1812_5-lg.gif
65KB, 520x520px
>>1085170
>>1085164
Milwaukee shill here
The M18 charger will actually charge M18 AND M12 batteries. So you could always just buy a M12 bare tool and a battery since you already have the charger.

I use the impact driver to drive like 3 inch screws into 2x4s, it works well and doesnt rattle you around. Havent really felt the need to get 12volt stuff.
>>
>>1085170

In other words, what Im saying is, if your mostly gonna be "taking things apart and putting them back together" with an impact, get a 12v kit. If you're gonna be drilling through things like wood or metal, get 18v kit
>>
>>1085013
>There is just so much jargon and bullshit surrounding cordless tools. What do?

realize that youll be perfectly fine no matter what brand line you buy into, save for harbor freight stuff.
>>
>>1085177
Im also a milwaukee shill and yes the batteries are chill. Im down for a 12v impact because I have the 12v handheld bandsaw, so they can share batteries. I use the 12v driver for little shit like drilling TGIs or holes for doorbell wire.

Drilling big shit is 18v drill with a nail eater bit, or a hole hog if we feel the need. Obviously sawzall is 18v
>>
>>1085162

They tend to have 1/4" hex to 1/2" square if anything.
>>
>>1085186
Well I was looking into the 1/2 cordless impacts, and the only craftman one I can see is the C3
Its only 200 ft-lb
Maybe he has a good reason to complain about it kek.
>>
>>1085013
Get the one that matches your other tools.

Brands are meaningless now. They are manufactured under license and shit to the point where most of them are literally made in the same factory. Get a matching set for battery convenience and just forget the rest.
>>
I made my decision. eBay has 20% off tools right now from select sellers. I got the Milwaukee M12 Fuel combo set for $159.20 shipped (brand new).

It costs the same as the 18v sets from Home Depot when you factor in sales tax. The m12 Fuel line offers more torque than the 12v Makita in a smaller package.

The only real downside is the M18 Milwaukee set has a better selection of used tools available. The impact driver torque on the M12 Fuel vs M18 non-fuel is pretty comparable too.

So there are my rationalizations for the decision I made. Just thought I should update ya'll.
>>
>>1085710
You dun goofed.
DEWALT
DEEEEWAAASLLLLYTT
DDDDEEEEEWWWAAAALLLTTTT NNNOOOOWWW
>>
File: WW reebok.jpg (18KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
WW reebok.jpg
18KB, 500x281px
/g/ tier product thread
>>
>>1085728
You expect people to talk about tools without using brand names?
Especially when there is literally only 3 major brands that everyone buys?

Good job retard
>>
File: Screenshot_20161117-191546.png (962KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161117-191546.png
962KB, 1440x2560px
This lil fucker is a beast. Much more powerful than I expected. Easily rattles off badly rusted nuts and bolts.
>>
>>1085013
only poor fags buy that outdated shit, 60v or nothing
>>
Home Depot Certified Hardware Sales Associate here, ask me anything.

>>1085710
not a bad price for the M12 Fuel kit on it own, but we have it for $199 plus an additional M12 tool like a right angle drill or multitool for free. the M12 Fuel blows the pants off of regular 12 volt models Makita and Dewalt makes, in terms of torque and running power the closest comparable models are the Makita 18v brushless subcompact drills (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-Sub-Compact-Brushless-Cordless-2-piece-Combo-Kit-Driver-Drill-Impact-Driver-2-0Ah-CX200RB/207051121) and a full sized brushed drill kit from someone like Ryobi or Rigid.

if you are worried about battery longevity from the 12 volts Milwaukee now makes batteries in 3ah and 6ah in the same sized packages as the standard ones.

>>1085744
thats not how 60v Flexvolt works. besides running big tools like miter saws and table saws 60v is useless, a high end Milwaukee Fuel motor will provide just as much power and last 50% longer with a 9ah battery.
>>
>>1085750
>plus an additional M12 tool like a right angle drill or multitool for free
That deal is live right now? I thought that was black friday only because I couldn't find any details online. I would have done that and got te 3/8" ratchet even if I just sold the dumb thing for $80 on eBay.

I went ahead with the ebay deal because it wasn't worth dealing with black friday for a tool I didn't want (my local HD doesn't have the hackzall).

Maybe I'll just tell the kit locally and grab the HD deal. Are there any details online about it?
>>
>>1085754
that sale started at the beginning of the month, i think it ends at the end of December.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-FUEL-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Impact-Combo-Kit-with-Free-M12-Compact-Jig-Saw-2597-22-2445-20/300508055

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-FUEL-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-1-2-in-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-Impact-Combo-Kit-with-FREE-M12-3-8-in-Ratchet-Tool-Only-2597-22-2457-20/205044703

there are separate online SKUs for the drill kit plus each additional tool, search through them to find something else you like. there are only 8 or 10 tools you can get, mostly M12 stuff valued up to $99 like the vacuum, radio, extra battery, etra drill, etc. the hackzall isnt part of the promotion even though the price is similar, just bare tools.
>>
>>1085757
God damn it. I could have gotten that ratchet for $56 more.

Thanks anon for ruining my day.
>>
>>1085150

I got a good deal on a 20v brushless dewalt drill driver set and my wife can not into why any cordless tool i get now must be dewalt.

Yeah i know i can get cheeper tools but i would rather spend a little extra to have to keep track of ONE charger and 2 or 3 batteries... no need to clutter up precious space with 5 chargers and 10 batteries.

But on the note of the combo kit OP you should really consider looking for one.

Also take into consideration how much you think you will use these and what all other tools that platform can run.
>>
What's a good, powerful drill that can do shit consumer-tier drills will just choke on?

What brands are the most trustworthy?
>>
>>1085791
Hilti. The tools are outside of most people's price range but for commercial usage they blow everything else away.
>>
>>1085791
DEWALT
DDDDEEEEEWWWAAAALLLTTTT
>>
>>1085013
>>1085153

Ryobi P231. Has the same torque as the m18 fuel 1/4" impact. Driven many thousands of deck and metal roof screws with mine so far and it's holding up pretty good.

Just for shits n giggles I used a 1/2" socket adapter to see if it could bust lug nuts off, and it could.

HD has a Christmas deal where if you buy the $99 drill kit you can get the impact driver for free. Ryobi drills suck but the impact driver is a monster. The batteries are also cheaper than dewalt and milwaukee.
>>
>>1085750
here again
>>1085810
HD has both the Ryobi Drill+Impact Driver kit for $99 or a Ryobi 18v Drill kit for $99 plus any other Ryobi 18v cordless tool (up to a $79 value) for free.

the 3-speed impact driver sold separately is actually a better model than the one include in the combo kit so you are better off grabbing the drill and the tool-only impact driver together.

the Ryobi Quiet Strike impact driver is another nice choice that i think a lot of people overlook. its slower and less powerful than the other Ryobi impact drivers but the hydraulic oil-based mechanism makes it ridiculously quiet compared to traditional drills and impact drivers, which is great for people doing huge amounts of work indoors. Milwaukee and Rigid also have the same technology but i think the Ryobi is the quietest.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-1-4-in-Cordless-Quietstrike-Pulse-Driver-P290/206955184
>>
The guys I work with all use 18V Makita tools and swear by them. Just One Guy uses Dewalt and even he likes the Makita ones better, but already has a full Dewalt set. Take that for what it is.
>>
>>1085013
The Milwaukee has the most torque, but both 18V options should deliver more power than you need. The higher-end options for the good brands are all excellent these days, so it mostly comes down to variations in price point, ergonomics, and various miscellaneous features (e.g. location of worklights). So take a look through the specs, watch some review videos, and pick whichever seems to suit you. It's not a huge deal. 12V is generally for light duty stuff only, but I've heard good things about the M12 fuel line.

>>1085162
>1/2 square to 1/4 hex adapters
This is called a 1/4" socket. Lots of people have those. I keep one in my impact wrench case in case I want to drive something quick without having to go get my driver. For fun, it lets me drive deck screws so fast that they smoke.
>>
>>1085896
>This is called a 1/4" socket.

the problem is you need a magnet in there to keep the bits in place. i have one that is a 3/8 socket to 1/4 with a magnet to hold bits in place but its part of a larger kit and ive never seen it sold separably.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.