[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well shit. i dont even know where i could buy gears this small.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: ss+(2016-11-15+at+09.07.41).png (1MB, 868x628px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-11-15+at+09.07.41).png
1MB, 868x628px
Well shit. i dont even know where i could buy gears this small. Could i even make these myself? i have some aluminium the right size, i could try finding some steel. but how would i make it?

Any idea where to find teeny tiny gears?
>>
>>1084218
>Could i even make these myself?

If you have to ask, no. Not in any way they'd hold up to use, at least. Gears are one of those obnoxious things you either need a ridiculously expensive machine to make any kind of, or hassle with a much less expensive machine and semi-complicated setup in order to just make one kind.

They're ALSO one of those obnoxious things that are present in damn near everything mechanical, but have virtually no standards defining their properties. Thus, they're almost always made to order for the manufacturer of whatever they go in.

Tl;dr: Try googling "[device name] replacement parts/gears". Otherwise, good fucking luck.
>>
>>1084220
tried that, no luck. its too old / not well enough supported. Im gonna head out tomorrow and see if anyone at a local hobby store can recommend anything like it.
>>
>>1084220
No there are standards. You need to find gears that have a matching module(a measure) for them to mesh.
>>
Problem with gears is they're precision little shits, short of gluing them together and casting some- with a lot of intensive clean up after, you can try hunting around to find 'close to' or thereabouts for replacements
http://www.hobbyparts.com.au/
>>
Those gears look exactly like an old tamiya RC car rear differential internal gears.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/vbc-racing-wildfired06-differential-gear-set.html
>>
>>1084220

i could make them on a mill, lathe, surface grinder, even a shaper.

mill, shaper, and surface grinder would probably require a 4th axis and some angle blocks.

a lathe could do the job alone, but using the tailstock to mount tooling to make it in a makeshift broach will wear the fuck out the ways. then again a lathe is the only machine capable of duplicating itself.

when it comes to making gears, the teeth have a specific size (a number), they even make gauge sets like for threads. other than that is the number of teeth on the gear which is determined by the diameter/angles

the question is, what tools does OP have available. if he thinks he can just use a set of jewelers files, sharpie, piece of paper and a protractor, if he took his time he could though i doubt they would be pretty and it would take forever.

the next question is what OP wants to spend, the cheapest option would be to just buy them unless he has access to a any machines listed above. but since he is asking here i doubt he has the knowledge to even use such machines.

i can't tell if those gears are sintered metal, or cast due to the low resolution of the pic, but it looks to be out of some sort of differential. they are not aluminum, they already broke, making replacements out of aluminum would not be a good idea. you want high speed steel, annealed so you can work it without tungsten carbide tooling, and then heat treat after they are made.

OP forget about making them, find someone who has a gear teeth gauge or use an online calculator to figure out what you need, and buy them. worse comes to worse, contact a local machine shop and have them made. the knowledge you require can not be conveyed here if you want good results.
>>
>>1084218
Go to your local hobby shop and ask for bevel gears. Those are the gears that are used in differentials for RC Cars.
Good luck OP
>>
>>1084220
>semi-complicated setup in order to just make one kind.
Sine plate and indexing head on any mill?
>>
Cast and forge them
>>
>>1084454
>i could make them on a mill, lathe, surface grinder, even a shaper.

>>1084480
>Sine plate and indexing head on any mill?

And the average tier of DIY-er who asks "can I make this" has this kind of tooling since...when?
>>
>>1084218
That looks like a mini differential.
Go shopping at many of the fine Radio Control sites that deal with gas powered racers. You might find something that is close enough to work.
>>
>>1084500

they don't, but as i mentioned in my post OP could use a sharpie, protractor, set of jewelers files and a piece of paper to make the parts.

i wouldn't even contemplate making them without at least a lathe, but i also know that without machining knowledge or or tools, its much cheaper just to buy the parts or have a machine shop make them.

Google alone would have told OP that aluminum isn't suitable for the job, i'm not knocking him for it, after all he wants to learn.
>>
>>1084500
there's nothing remotely complicated about a sine plate
>>
mcmastercarr, I don't know what those are made of, but I'd go with nylon gears as their replacement, unless the steel ones are cheaper.
>>
If you have to ask if if can be made, then you cant make it, gear like that need to be precision machined.
>>
>>1084276
>>1084475
Yeah its a rear diff.

>>1084454
jewlers files and a saw is my way to do it if i cant find any. they're sintered metal, i had thought aluminium for ease to work with and i cant imagine sintered metal is really that strong, but alternatively i could find some mild steel. but id still be making them with tiny files and a hacksaw.

So far ive tried 3 stores nobody can help :( everything else works, just one little part and this hand-me-down runs again.
>>
>>1085291
what model is it
>>
http://www.sdp-si.com
>>
>>1086784
this
>>
>>1085291
sintered metal can be pretty strong depending on whats in it. its almost as cheap to manufacture as nylon gears, but with more strength.

i don't know where you live, but i'd call around to some local machine shops and get price quotes. it's going to be more expensive than what mass produced gears cost, cost of materials is cheap, its just a setup heavy process of making them.

is it 2 or 4 wheel drive? if its only 2 wheel drive have you thought about altering the drive train so you can use what you can get a hold of? that might be the easiest cheapest way to go.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.