[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

These Parallel cables look beefy. How much voltage do you think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: SL-105.jpg (102KB, 591x333px) Image search: [Google]
SL-105.jpg
102KB, 591x333px
These Parallel cables look beefy.
How much voltage do you think each pin could take? Would it take 1-2 kV and very low amps?
>>
>>1084129
Oh, definitely. I've got an old oscilloscope from the 70's that has 28AWG leads, so those pins are well-suited to the task. "Thin Lizzy" they called it.
>>
File: IMG_0917.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0917.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I was going to test it with a neon sign transformer, but I just cut it open. They are certainly thin!
>>
>1-2 kV
kek
>>
>>1084129
They can take as many amps as they are rated for. Measure and calculate the cross section and then you can look it up. The isolation will be a bigger problem as it might jump from lead to lead. Sparky needs to fill in on this.
>>
>>1084208
> it might jump from lead to lead. Sparky needs to fill in on this.

OP hasn't explained how he's wiring it. I think he's wants to just put one end of the cable to either side of the transformer. In this setup there isn't an issue with arcing between leads since it's not really any different from a solid wire running to either side of the transformer.

He really needs to put a load in there though. He's not going to get "very low amps" from running 1.2kv through a couple ohms of wire.
>>
>>1084129

Strictly speaking, they're rated for TTL voltage levels (+/-12V max) only.

Realistically, they're probably (PROBABLY) okay for 120Vrms, assuming PVC insulation of thickness you usually would see on general-purpose 26AWG.

But I wouldn't try my luck, DESU. Definitely wouldn't be trying kV-range stuff with it.

The fuck are you even trying to do?
>>
>>1084221
>DESU
get the fuck back to /a/
>>
>>1084238

It's an auto-filter for "T B H". Minus the spaces, of course.
>>
OP here I figured you people would laugh on the exact reasons why I'm using them. But basically I'm working with electroactive polymers. Known as artificial muscles. They require a lot of volts but not much amps. Also I need a lot of them in a small area to do what I want.
>>
>>1084252
Why are you using parallel port cable for DEAs? Are you driving multiple of them? If yes, how the fuck are you driving all those things?

I think you will have trouble with arcing. Even if you use just two pins seperated as far as possible, it will probably arc from to the surrounding metal then to the other pin.

1-2 KV seems a bit low for diy DEAs, I think you will need around 5-7KV. That will defininately arc.
>>
The pins of a D-sub connector can take a couple of amps at up to around 50V, and the insulation is usually rated for a few hundred volts (at lower amperage).

The wire in something like a 24 conductor cable (like a parallel port) can usually only handle a few hundred milliamps at 12V. Maybe 1A@12V if you have a good quality cable.
>>
>>1084129
just take individual conductors and separate them
>>
>>1084238
baka senpai
>>
What
>>
>>1084129
Just try it. Put a fuse on it. You'll find out pretty quickly if it will work.
>>
>>1084242
>>>1084238
>It's an auto-filter for "T B H". Minus the spaces, of course.
4real nigger? Tbh
>>
desu
to be honest
>>
baka desu senpai...
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.