[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm living in a 1BR apartment by myself. It's a pretty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

File: front door alarm.jpg (53KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
front door alarm.jpg
53KB, 1280x720px
I'm living in a 1BR apartment by myself. It's a pretty safe area, but crime does happen.

I'd like to put a little alarm on my front door. Something I can turn on/off that will make noise if the front door is breached.

You guys recommend any system?
>>
File: my GSD.jpg (46KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
my GSD.jpg
46KB, 604x453px
yeah, one of these
>>
File: 1478625329773.jpg (59KB, 763x757px) Image search: [Google]
1478625329773.jpg
59KB, 763x757px
>>1083421
>A GSD in a 1 bedroom appartment

kys yourself
>>
>>1083420
What exactly do you want from us?
You arent going to /diy/ anything better than a cheap door alarm on amazon, like your op pic
>>
>>1083436

>kill yourself yourself

Samsung smart things kit is $150.00 now.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B010NZV14U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
>>
>>1083420
My best method of not getting robbed is not having anything worth shit. And not selling drugs.
>>
You could perhaps put something heavy in front of your door that would fall over and wake you up, then you can grab your gun (If you happen to have one) . Just thoughts anon
>>
A gun with a tripwire
>>
File: 1476842824172.jpg (54KB, 433x469px) Image search: [Google]
1476842824172.jpg
54KB, 433x469px
>>1083420
bugrlar here.

if i'm breaking into your home, your gay little alarm isn't going to stop me from putting a 12 gauge shotgun in your face and pulling the trigger.
>>
File: 1420471498727.jpg (393KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1420471498727.jpg
393KB, 1280x1280px
This could help, if hooked up to something thatll beep (modified smoke alarm?)
or to explosive
>>
>>1083500
Its not about scaring you off
Its about giving me a few seconds more warning to pull my gun and drop you.
>>
>>1083503
you couldn't drop your own pants.

i'm coming for you white boy. bix nood muh fugga
>>
>>1083503
>Its about giving me a few seconds more warning to pull my gun and drop you.

Look up "police locks", which became popular in NYC during the crime wave era.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/nyregion/thecity/27lock.html

Also consider internal barriers since your attacker usually won't know the position of objects in the house. My bed is not directly visible from any entrance. I have furniture etc laid out so it's almost impossible to run through the living area. Delay is a useful thing.
>>
File: 1478882712098.jpg (16KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1478882712098.jpg
16KB, 480x480px
>>1083505
>>
File: Rozsochac.jpg (1MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Rozsochac.jpg
1MB, 3072x2304px
>>
>>1083526
>>1083526
My room is on the bottom floor, with one door giving a line of dight to the front door, and the other an exit through the kitchen allowing a flank. My kids rooms are upstairs, with my oldest son (18) having an off room with his own firearm in there. If my house were to be attacked, i have faith that even if i am unable to protect everyone myself, my son will keep my toddler safe. I've served in kuwait, as well as worked armed security for events and businesses. I believe i can handle most threats (my home is at most threatened by a burgular, not a pmc), but if not, hopefully my kids can stay safe.
>>
>>1083420
They make door stop alarms, they're loud as fuck and cheap, but not so great on their own. If you're handy, you can mod them to something usable (ensure that they stay in place behind a door, even if the floor is smooth; mount them for non-door uses, etc). They're great to pack for travelling, too.
>>
>>1083502
Why would hooking it up to an explosive help keep you safe?
>>
security plate(s)

nobody is going to be able to "breach" it quietly
>>
We have just a standard alarm with a hall sensor on it at work. It's purpose isn't security but to inform us and scare someone when I get a min wage monkey trying to sneak out the back door to smoke/hide. We have a bypass switch under the receiving desk so we can still use the door without having to hear the high pitch sequel.

This exact setup would work for you. Keep switch off except when you are in for the night.

The whole setup costs less than $20 if you buy a cheapy off amazon and a simple toggle switch.
>>
>>1083420
All sorts of ways anon.
I use IoT stuff like Wave and the Quirky Tripper. Door sensor will turn on lights and Wave sends me an email. Also can tie in camera so you can see who came in.
>>
>>1083551
He didnt ask what would make him safe, he asked what would alert him
>>
>>1083503
If you have a deadbolt, how big is your 1br appartment that you can't hear your door being breached? The sould of splintering doorframe should be pretty loud.
>>
>>1083681
It would be, but why not give myself even more warning
>>
>>1083792
>even more warning

how would anything else be "more"?
an alarm wouldn't trigger till the door moves enough to break the connection between the sensors and it would have been broken in by that point

you'd hear someone beating the crap out of the door before an alarm went off
>>
>>1083794
Certain sounds trigger an alert more
Further, my house was built in the mid 1800s, so doesnt have paper walls and doors. My alarm is built to detect heavy shocks, so it will trigger before my door breaks down.
>>
I'd find and fit a classic "police lock" along with an alarm, because a fast breach can happen before you can react, which incidentally is behind the theory of police breaching techniques work.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.