[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it safe to leave tops on propane torches? Do they leak I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 4654154.jpg (16KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
4654154.jpg
16KB, 500x500px
Is it safe to leave tops on propane torches? Do they leak

I use mine in my garage but I also bring it in the house to use for dabbing shatter or wax. I always worry it might leak if I leave the handle on after I'm done using it indoors
>>
Generally remove mine but plenty of times I've left it on. Should be safe but if you're really worried just mix a little soap and water and check it for leaks
>>
>>1082367
i left the top on mine over the winter last year, still had gas in the spring when i needed it.
>>
>>1082367
>Is it safe to drive? Do cars crash

It is a matter of risk, you leave it on, the valve probably is less reliable than the oring inside the can, so it can leak

Will it leak? Maybe, maybe not, there is just higher chance to leak, why not just take it off so you can leave the liability to the manufacurer if it explodes and kills you and they cant say "user error forgot to turn off valve"
>>
I had to leave mine on after some lead sled bodywork because my "helper" over tightened it and messed up the tank.
>>
>>1082367
I didnt realize people actually removed the torch from their propane

I never do it. And im not sure that a small tank of propane being leaked into my garage is really going to do anything. Its hard enough to light a propane torch as it is. Its not like the garage is going to explode.
>>
>>1082367
should be fine

if you don't use it often, then don't
>>
>>1082424
I had an old MAPP cylinder that was okay until I screwed on. Then it would leak if I did remove the torch, so I kept it on.
>>
>>1082600
the valves on those things aren't very good at resealing - i just leave the torch head on
>>
if there was even a 1/1000000 chance that one would leak and destroy your house in a fiery explosion, the manufacturers wouldn't sell them.
>>
Leave mine on all the time. Doesn't leak. Use it for tons of shit. Only problem I've ever been worried about is it getting knocked over and the head breaking then spraying gas everywhere.
>>
Leave the handle on because the seals in the LP cylinders aren't particularly reliable.

I've used and stored many torches on many cylinders over the past forty-something years. My torch heads stay on until a cylinder is exhausted.

>if there was even a 1/1000000 chance that one would leak and destroy your house in a fiery explosion, the manufacturers wouldn't sell them.

You mean if there was a chance a verdict would overwhelm their liability insurance they wouldn't sell them. There's not LP in a small cylinder though.

I also store ALL my gas cylinders either outdoors or in a ventilated steel building except little butane babby torches. If you must keep yours indoors, leave the handle in place. If you don't know if it leaks, slosh some very soapy water over it and check for bubbles. That won't bother the torch.
>>
I leave them on because about 1 out of 10 times, the cylinder leaks when you remove the torch head. I've used these little shits on a daily basis for about 15 years, and the real conundrum is when a doofus apprentice over-tightens the valve on the torch head, but when you remove it, the cylinder also leaks. If you don't have an extra torch or valve to plug it you have two options: keep an eye on it and wait for it to burn itself out or place the cylinder in the middle of an empty parking lot or something. I opt for the latter after seeing that's how the gas company dealt with the big propane tank from the oxy-propane setup when it sprung a leak in the shop. We just put some traffic cones around it out there.

>>1082424
This is a pet peeve of mine now. Can't stand when dingleberries crank down on gas valves to make sure they're extra closed.

>>1082367
Oh, my point is those torch heads are cheap and shitty. Don't over tighten the valve on them. Buy an extra one to seal a leaking cylinder when it fails.
>>
>>1082367
I used to but then the bottle started leaking so I left it on. Had one wrencher tell me it's better to leave it on since the valve isn't meant for multiple uses.
>>
it'd be too slow a leak to be dangerous and propane is cheap, who gives a shit
>>
File: bic.jpg (8KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
bic.jpg
8KB, 300x300px
>>1082610
>>1082716
Agreed.

i have a bad habit of using them to light cigarettes. one of the newbs in my shop started to do it as well and accidentally left the ignition button half cocked afterwards. must have been letting gas out slowly for over 2 hours, dude was oblivious to the smell that was filling garage. my bad for setting a bad example
>>
>>1082610
>>1082600
>>1082813

Pretty much my experience. The small cylinders don't seal for crap on their own. Even hisses with escaping propane if I take the torch off. I just leave it on and be sure the valve is shut firmly, but not over-tightened.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.