[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hi /diy/, i bought a book through ebay and it came with what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 20161111_105039.jpg (4MB, 3536x2257px) Image search: [Google]
20161111_105039.jpg
4MB, 3536x2257px
hi /diy/, i bought a book through ebay and it came with what looks like mold.
how do i go about cleaning it without damaging the book? it's a good book, i'm hoping to keep it.
>>
File: 20161111_110833.jpg (4MB, 3217x2412px) Image search: [Google]
20161111_110833.jpg
4MB, 3217x2412px
here's another shot from the inside.
is this even salvagable?
>>
File: 1478649145774.jpg (73KB, 574x863px) Image search: [Google]
1478649145774.jpg
73KB, 574x863px
>>1082295

Its fucked. Get a wit h the times and get a PDF.

https://maricopa.instructure.com/courses/904536/files/32965660/download
>>
>>1082292
Hope it was cheap. I'd scan it and toss it. At the least, keep it away from your other books so they don't get cancer, too.
>>
i'm not big on complaining, esp. ebay sellers, etc.
But, like, fuck that - you cannot pass that off as in any way, shape or form merchantible goods, give 'im fucking hell.
>>
>>1082292
Hmmmm... maybe a heat gun will kill the mold? If the gun gets too hot, maybe spray something that kills the mold on the paper and dry it one page at a time? Obviously wearing a facemask.
>>
>>1082292
its fucked. get your money back. move on.
>>
>>1082292
found this on a website:

'Removing Mold and Mildew growth from the Outside of a Dry Book:
If you can perceive growth on your book's cover, you may use a fine brush or very soft cloth to gently brush away the mildew. Alternatively, a HEPA filter vacuum hose attachment with a thin cloth or dryer sheet over the nozzle can be an effective resource to remove mold growth from the book cover.
For a paperback book you can use a soft cloth lightly dampened with denatured alcohol to kill the mildew. Use light, gentle strokes as not to damage the paper/glossy cover, and make sure that you dab away the excess liquid and dry the book thoroughly but gently.
For a cloth, leather, or other hardback types of binding, you can spot-clean with denatured alcohol, but make sure to test an out-of-the-way corner to check for color change or deterioration.

Removing Mold and Mildew growth from the Pages of a Dry Book:
Slide a sheet of waxed paper underneath the moldy page to protect the page behind it. As in the step above, use a soft brush to carefully remove any obvious mold or mildew. Dampen a soft cloth with hydrogen peroxide or denatured alcohol and carefully treat"
>>
>>1082292
That's a bad case of forest green mold/trichoderma.

>>1082457
Do this, straight 3% hydrogen peroxide from a drug store or a 10% bleach solution. The bleach will likely damage the print however. One of the best ways to prevent the spread of trichoderma is to have good air flow and reduce moisture levels.

Like others said try to get your money back that shouldn't have been sold.
>>
>>1082457
>hydrogen peroxide
This. Peroxide is considered a neutral cleaning solution and should prevent damage to your book if used correctly.
>>
>>1082292
>reading
>>
Do not attempt to clean the book with any liquid cleaners.

The water will only allow the mold to propagate further.

Simple hydrogen peroxide will not be effective enough to outright kill every single cell of mycelium and those that survive just get a fresh drink of water.

Your best bet is to clean off the book with a dry soft bristled brush to remove any of the fruiting growth.

Keep the book bone dry to prevent further spread of the mold.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.