[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have an aircraft alternator. Would it be stupid to try utilizing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: ES-7024.png (98KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
ES-7024.png
98KB, 500x500px
I have an aircraft alternator. Would it be stupid to try utilizing it on like a static bike to use it to charge anything?
>>
>>1082137
What size is it? It'll probably be useless with anything less than 800 rpm (assuming it's similar to your pic)
>>
File: 20161110_194225.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161110_194225.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>1082138
Pen for size
>>
Typical "what do this" threads like this should be banned

Why the fuck do you think this would be good?
>>
File: K6JZXXX.jpg (28KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
K6JZXXX.jpg
28KB, 500x500px
>>1082152
Why did you bother replying to this. I have a better idea for this alternator, I'll send it to you so you may shove it up your ass and maybe faggots like you can be happy for once. Thanks
>>
>>1082148

Strip it and sell it for scrap copper
>>
>>1082156
Thank you anon for a response that is actually helpful, the reason I came on here and 90% of the time I get shit on by fucking faggots
>>
>>1082137
I watched a clip where they took a professional cyclist, hooked up a stationary bicycle to an alternator and plugged in a toaster.
Guy almost stroked out trying to make 2 pieces of toast....

The physical load required to make electricity is ridiculous.
There are prisons where the detainees have to pedal a bike to run their TV (a lot less watts than a toaster) so it is possible to make usable amounts of electricity- just depends on what exactly you want from it.
>>
>>1082174
use gears lad
>>
>>1082137
might as well sell it
>>
>>1082137
>alternator
It's shit. What you'd really want to use is a a dynamo or AC motor.
>>
>>1082137
That's gotta be worth a pretty penny. Do you know what kind of plane it's out of?

I know some clubs use bicycle generators to power emergency radio stations. Do you keep fit pedalling a stationary bike?
>>
>>1082137
It likely only spits out at 400Hz, which may be a cunt to convert back to DC.

I'd skip it and be looking to make a hub mounted disk generator out of a fisher and paykel direct drive motor.
>>
>>1082180
If you're talking about gears for the toaster, then it won't produce enough watts X time.
Car engines had their horsepower ratings measured without accessory's installed until the 1980's. With accessory's, ratings dropped like 15-25 horses.
The amount of effort required to spin an alternator increases with larger loads.
You can freespin one on a bench with nothing hooked up. But with a full load (like in a car) a typical person won't be able to turn it at all.
>>
>>1082344
hency why 9/10 the squeaky squeaky is the altenator pulley on the loose belt
>>
>>1082329
Just as easy to convert as 60hz. Why would it be any different? You just need a rectifier and a capacitor.
>>
>>1082344
>freespin with nothing hooked up

Are you kidding me
>>
File: 1372998465072.jpg (20KB, 290x345px) Image search: [Google]
1372998465072.jpg
20KB, 290x345px
>>1082358
>>
>>1082373
he is talking about spinning the rotor of the alternator with no electrical load attached. you won't be able to spin it very fast if there's a hefty load attached
>>
>>1082156
It's probably worth a lot more to some homebuilder. It may not be good for certified aircraft anymore but experimental aircraft aren't subject to the same regs.
>>
>>1082137
>Would it be stupid to try utilizing it on like a static bike to use it to charge anything?
Yes. You'd have to pedal literally all day long just to charge your phone.

I've posted the math to back this up many times, I can't be bothered to type it all out again.
>>
>>1082956
What! A cell phone battery is only 7.4 watt hours. It shouldn't be that hard.
>>
Ebay it. There are aircraft mechanics who buy, test, then return parts like that to service.
>>
>>1082156
>>
>>1082153
REKT!!
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.