[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I go about removing the epoxy/clue that someone probably

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: File Nov 09, 1 35 49 AM.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
File Nov 09, 1 35 49 AM.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
How do I go about removing the epoxy/clue that someone probably used to affix this soapstone? I'd like to use it for either a kitchen cart or coffee table project, the current stand is hideous
>>
File: File Nov 09, 1 35 17 AM.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
File Nov 09, 1 35 17 AM.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
File: File Nov 09, 1 35 34 AM.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
File Nov 09, 1 35 34 AM.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1081538
glue*
>>
>>1081538
do you have gravel in your yard somewhere? the neat thing about soapstone is it's a fairly hard material so its hard to scratch, but that means you can use equally hard materials such as other rocks or porcelain to grind it. just drag it out onto some gravel surface and skate around on it, it'll grind the soft epoxy right off, the alternative is to do it chemically, but that may spoil the surface even more by letting the epoxy soak into it.

>>1081539
jesus h christ
>>
>>1081538
oh, another option if it's really thick is to use a aluminium oxide flapper disc, AlO is MUCH harder than any common stone, if you run a constant flow of water over the surface as you grind it you should get a very nice finish and be able to remove a lot of material quickly
>>
>>1081539

I think the soapstone AND the particle both aren't rigid enough to keep the soapstone from cracking if you put weight on it. That's why it has that wide stand.

Why remove the particle board though? Yeah, the sides of the particle board won't look pretty if you use it at a height where you can see them. But you could put some kind of trim around it or paint it in plastidip or something to make it look smoother/nicer.

You can remove the wooden stand without trying to get the particle board off. Then you just have to put some kind of frame under it to make sure the stone won't crack.
>>
>>1081538
you could do the original pedestal stand - you can see where it used to be
>>
>>1081577

I think someone added the new stand and extra board after it cracked using the original stand.
>>
>>1081581
i can't tell if those are repaired cracks or thats just how soapstone is
>>
>>1081582
That's just the veins in the stone, there's no cracking
>>
>>1081542
dude what? soapstone is literally the softest form of stone in existance. you can make scratches in it with your fingernail.

i'd just sand it off with sandpaper, and then polish it again by hand with smoother sandpaper.

also good to know is that soapstone is highly resistant to heat, but as mentioned, if you treat it with heat it might soak into stone even more. so maybe that might not be a good idea.
>>
File: File Nov 09, 2 46 33 PM.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
File Nov 09, 2 46 33 PM.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
removed the base, the mdf definitely got wet a bunch, even running a cloth over it will cause it to peel/chip off, you can tell this especially around the edges. Think I could screw 4 hairpin legs into it if I go the coffee table route?
>>
>>1081643
The type of leg I'm talking about. They're angled out a bit, I'm wondering if the weight of the stone would just cause the screws to rip out of the compromised mdf
>>
>>1081576
This

Remove the "legs" and then add a frame to mdf/particle board, and build your table from there.
>>
>>1081643
May be you can use an electric hand plane to remove as much material is needed, and finish it with a sander, attach a frame the adds support in the middle also and put the legs you want.
>>
I think I'm going to borrow my dad's skill saw when I go home for dinner tomorrow and just cut rows into the mdf then chisel it out. I wish I had access to a draw knife. Think home depot would cut a pattern out for me if I brought in a paper stencil?
>>
>>1081798
Expanding on this, I'm going to set the height on the saw blade to be like 1/8 inch shorter than the mdf to avoid hitting the stone. Would there be any problem in soaking the remaining 1/8" sheet of mdf with water while still on the stone to make it easier to peel off?

I'll be putting a new piece of mdf on the bottom to stabilize it. Anyone ever seal mdf with resin? How absorbant is?
>>
>>1082032

Get plywood with melamine or fenol film (often used for concrete forms). Then you only need to seal the sides (wood filler, plastidip, whatever).

Plywood is significantly more rigid than MDF (OSB is almost as good, but doesn't generally come with plastic films).
>>
Acetone, or some isopropyl alcohol should do the trick!
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.