[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You guys are probably the best suited to answer this stupid but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 1478337716628.jpg (235KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1478337716628.jpg
235KB, 1280x720px
You guys are probably the best suited to answer this stupid but quick question. What is the mechanical/physical property behind this type of grind that makes the tip stronger even if there's less material left?
>>
It doesn't. That's a back-grind, reverse edge, or partial edge, used to increase the blades stabbing ability. Supposedly. Most of the time manufacturers include just to look cool.
>>
>>1080295
>It doesn't
But every time I see some knife review with that swedge they claim it to make the tip stronger.
>>
ME here. It doesn't make it stronger. Think about it, taking away material makes something stronger? No. Changing the geometry or material? Yes.

The geometry don't change in a way that makes it any stronger. The material isn't changed. Like >>1080295 said it's probably there to increase cutting area, or to reduce the point area. Either way the effects would probably be minimal with regards to increasing deadliness. It's probably there to look cooler.
>>
>>1080309
But having that straight flat line isn't changing it geometrically?
>>
>>1080316

Read the post above. The geometry isn't changing in a way that makes it any stronger. If anything it makes it weaker to loading normal to the flat of the blade.
>>
>>1080288
Two blades of the same thickness and material are ground.

One has an unshaped full width spine. One has the point ground into a diamond shape like your picture.

The one in your picture has LESS physical material to absorb bending and twisting moment. This means the knife is weaker overall. End of story.

Now whether that weakness amounts to any real world implications for your use is up to you to decide.

The reviewers who say it "makes the tip stronger" have no fucking idea what they're alking about. They're mixing up engineering practices into their material sciences where it has no fucking application.

>I've been making knives for my primary income for just over 14 years now.
No knife with material ground out of it will be stronger than an identically prepared blank unground.
>>
File: IMG_20161106_011844.jpg (130KB, 720x899px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161106_011844.jpg
130KB, 720x899px
>>1080364
Thanks for breaking it down for me.
>>
>>1080288
On some of the older, folding pocket knives they used an unsharpened swedge the back of the blade so that it wouldn't hang-up on its neighbouring blades when being closed.
But for the most part as >>1080364 mentions there's no real mechanical benefit, except to maybe add some aesthetics to the knife blade.

Even from a use-perspective the narrower profile on the tips isn't really going to improve its ability to 'stab' a great deal better, it really doesn't take very much physical pressure at all to punch a hole through flesh, tin cans or even something like a car tyre. I guess if its sharpened then that's another cutting surface, but being located on the front 1/4 of the blade, there's not a lot of things you can really do with it up there from a utility point of view and high the bevel angle wouldn't make it very sharp.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.