[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Look up simple woodworking project >"This is a simple,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7

File: 1376565625697.png (124KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1376565625697.png
124KB, 500x375px
>Look up simple woodworking project
>"This is a simple, easy and cheap way to..."
>Proceeds to show his workshop/garage full of $50,000 of woodworking tools.

EVERY TIME.
>>
>>1079947
You dont need a ton of woodworking tools to do stuff.
A cheap 100$ tablesaw can be very versatile and do most of what you need
>>
He probably started building that tool collection when he was 5. Now days kids ask for video games and cell phones instead of tools for Christmas.
>>
>>1079953
>nowadays
Fucker I'm 52 and I have never seen a child ask for a tool.
>>
>>1079959
I dont think hes implying children do, but rather teens
>>
>$18 hand plane
>$10 stanley chisel set
>$10 saw
>free (harbor freight) tape measure
>$10 sand paper
>pencil
>$5 square
>some fucking glue
>free (harbor freight) philips screw driver
>some screws

Go build something.
>>
>>1079947
I live in the U.S., and if you do too, I can tell you that taking a weekend to go garagesaling is all you need to load up a shop with sweet woodwroking tools from the days when Sears had the good shit.

If you really want to go for it, get yourself a table saw, jointer, router, and a drill. Aside form that, just buy whatever drill bits, files, blades, chisels, and whatnot of decent quality come your way. You can fill a shop for under $500 sufficient to do some really cool shit.
>>
>>1079947
You can probably acquire $100 worth of tools or equipment and start to build your own tools. I find that I derive a lot of joy in spending insane amounts of time and effort to build something simple by improvising or building every tool leading up to it.
>>
Matthias has guides to build almost every power tool in his entire shop.
>>
>>1079947
I hate those YouTube's for this reason
>>
>>1079959
Mi son is 5, for his 4th birthday asked for a flashlight like the one we carry when camping (nitecore) I gave him a led Chinese flashlight, I don't want him to shine the light In his sister face, and now wants a "pliers" (multitool), I'm not sure about giving something sharp to a mini human, in general the kid will ask for something that he sees adults using, like cellphones, tablets or laptops.
>>
File: IMG_0710_0.jpg (88KB, 387x351px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0710_0.jpg
88KB, 387x351px
>>1079984
Your a faggot.
Don't be surprised when he starts sucking cock because his father treated him like a pussy instead of a son.
>>
File: 146958844097.jpg (65KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
146958844097.jpg
65KB, 576x432px
>>1079985
Lol, stop projecting your closeted homosexuality.
>>
>>1079990
Whatever dude, I get so much pussy they call me the cat burglar.

Ask your mom, she would know.
>>
>>1079977
Whyyyy? You can just buy the tools already made and get to some real projects
>>
>>1079947
you can make a lot of stuff with just a circular saw, drill, sander, and misc. hand tools

the wood itself is going to cost a lot more than the tools

I got a table saw cheap off CL and a bandsaw for next to nothing at a yard sale....waiting for someone to sell a drill press and I'm set
>>
>>1079995
>I get so much pussy they call me the cat burglar

Wtf? The dad part of me likes this, but the rest of me is cringing so hard.
>>
>>1079947
>tfw your table saw is perfectly fine expect its got a burnt motor.
>too poor to buy a new one still.
>250 dollars for a 1.5 HP electric motor.
>tfw people tell you to just find a used one.
>tfw live in an industrial-ly retarded state so literally no good stuff anywhere for miles
>tfw no saw mills in like the whole fucking state

Never move to Florida if you like wood working. Its four times as expensive for everything. And all the old people already sold all their shit before they moved here.
>>
>>1079959

I asked for a "fancy" screwdriver (interchangeable bits, magnetic pickup wand, and built-in flashlight) for Christmas back when I was like 9 or 10.

Not exactly common, but I was a weird kid.

Now I'm just a weird 20-something.
>>
File: 1477123766779.png (257KB, 521x379px) Image search: [Google]
1477123766779.png
257KB, 521x379px
>>1079959
When I was 5 I asked for 5m of high voltage electrical wire. And it had to be red!
Never knew why I wanted it, or for what.

But when i was 20 something I built a secondary winding for a Tesla coil with it.

I never asked for tools tho, since there where always plenty around the house, garage, kitchen etc.
And my dad couldn't play with them all at once.

On occasion i catch my little cousin miring at my tools. But he never has enough time on his hands to learn how to use any of them, with all the minecraft he has to play and all.
>>
>>1079952
This.
My grandfather told me the only thing you truly NEED in a shop is a table saw and a screw driver. I assume that everyone will have the basics, tape measure, hammer, razor, etc. But if you want to be able to almost anything of course more tools will come in handy
>>
>>1079959
I asked for a pocket knife once, a multi-tool next, then my in my later teens my dad god be a carpenters belt with my own basic tools. A hammer, razor, tape measure.
>>
>>1079966
Where the fuck are you getting an $18 hand plane? Every time I look they cost 40 minimum.
>>
>>1080327
If you cant find cheap vintage ones like everyone else, get the harbor freight "no. 33" one for like 15$

If you sharpen the iron correctly, it will work perfectly fine
>>
>>1080329
you are MUCH better off just buying the $30 buck bros one from home depot.
>>
>>1080327
Literally the FIRST hand plane for sale on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-12-404-Adjustable-2-Inch-Cutter/dp/B000FK3WI2/

It just went up one dollar, so techincally it's $19.
>>
>>1080412
>>1080331
>>1080329
Thanks family. I'll prolly get the amazon one since I have prime but I might take a gander at the harbor freight one next time I get consumables.
>>
>>1080002
You can also use a cutting disc on an angle grinder to cut wood, if you already have one around. It's pretty smoky, but it gets the job done.
>>
Hand tools are pretty cheap. I built all my end tables, work benches, outdoor tables, and cabinet end table all with under $100 worth of tools.

Hell all I really needed was a hand saw and hammer so it could have been done for even cheaper and flea markets have old tools for dirt cheap

I see hand planes for $5-15 all the time, good brands and condition to they are just older and maybe need sharpening.

antique stores, yard sales. flea markets, used shops its not hard
>>
>$100 table saw
What on earth are you guys talking about? On Amazon, the ones that don't look like complete trash are all like $300+. I'd say a circular saw would be better for cheap
>>
>>1079959
I had a cement mixer for my 7th birthday. I still have it now. I'm 26 and find it useful. Best birthday gift ever.
>>
>>we'll just use this jig i made off camera
>jig is way more complex and intricate than whatever dumb thing they're using it on
>>
>>1080576
Not looking up local estate sales. Shits priced to move nigga.
>>
>>1079959
Going through the closets, I found a box of old school shit my mom had saved. In it was a christmas list I had apparently made when I was 5. On that list, at #3, was "A hammer."

So, now you have.
>>
>>1079959
Dad you're supposed to be in the Home not yelling at weeaboo DIY'ers on a Bob Villa Image Exchange.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (103KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
103KB, 1280x720px
>Now these are cheap, 10 pound for a set, chisels, and they're amazing. Best chisels I've ever used
>doesn't mention that he's sharpened them with $100 worth of sharpening equipment
>>
I have brainwashed my kids to want tools. 4 and 7 years old. They have mostly hand tools but both have a cheap cordless drill. The older one has even built some shit with it.
My blacksmith friend made a knife (puukko) for his 5th birthday. I'm teaching the diy lifestyle to my kids so they will be better at it than I am as I had to pick it up as an adult thanks to very not handy parents...
>>
>>1080635
>$10 for a stone and some oil
>>
>>1080655
Careful... They could hate you for it in the end.
>>
>tfw just bought my first router
I can't wait to start making cool shit with it
As soon as I think of something I actually want to make...
>>
>70% of your projects are projects to help you make another project

>saw jig
>mallet
>dogged table
The list is always growing
>>
>>1080726
Be careful my man. Routers are deceivingly dangerous.
>>
>>1079947
Kek! All you really need is a knife, hammer and a saw.
All I had to survive on as a kid
>>
>>1080772
It's similar to a drill, isn't it? A more powerful motor of course, as well as a different use, though
>>
>>1079959
I asked for a soldering iron when I was 10
>>
>>1080802
What did you want to solder?
>>
>>1080776
>It's similar to a drill, isn't it?

Not really.
Its closer to a chainsaw in terms of safe use, and kickbacks that will come back and severely injure you.

My router scares me more than my table saw does.
>>
>>1080825
Sorry, should've been clearer. I meant in the way that it works

I don't know what it is, maybe it's psychological, but I've hurt myself way more with manual tools like chisels than with power tools
>>
>50,000$ worth of tools
just use the cheap alternatives
tablesaw = circular saw
jointer = hand plane
bandsaw = jigsaw

throw in some chisels, clamps, and glue and you can make 90% of the projects you see on jewtube.
>>
>>1080842
That dude right bro, start at a low speed then work it up or you'll get fucking chewed up
>>
>>1079973
In San Diego, unless you get to a garage sale 2 hours before it's supposed to begin, you're not going to find much. Mexicans scout that shit well in advance and WILL buy anything worth more than it's being sold for, and turn a profit at the swap meets.
>>
>>1080848
I'll do that. Would I be better off using a fixed base or a plunge base as a beginner?
>>
>>1080696
Doubtful. One of the things my stepdad did right was to get me working with my hands and competent with using the more basic tools (and at fishing). He was a carpenter for a long time and I learned a bit from him and his 10 brothers (who were all different kinds of tradesmen, barring the one that went into some desk job). If they hadn't pushed me, I wouldn't have learned the other skills I did over the years.
>>
>>1080855
My makita came with a fixed but plunge bases are essentially the same thing with the ability to change cut depth without having to remove the router from the material and fucking with base ,I use mine for gun stuff so I don't really need a plunge rn. If I got one it'd just be for the lil led light some of em have
>>
>>1080842
>I meant in the way that it works

Drills punch holes by pushing downward.
Routers route using lateral forces. So its not really like a drill. Functionwise its like a milling machine where it takes a ton of lateral forces.

>>1080855
>Would I be better off using a fixed base or a plunge base as a beginner?

They have different uses. Get a plunge base for versatility.
If you want it to be safer, mount it to a router table instead of using it by hand.

Its just a tool that you can take for granted because with a sharp bit it can be easy going. But its a lot more powerful than it feels at first glance
>>
>>1080864
>If you want it to be safer, mount it to a router table instead of using it by hand.
Can I make a decent one? Just the router was a significant investment for me
>>
>>1080869
its not that hard. you just unscrew the plastic bottom. Then use those screw holes to mount to the underside of a table. The bit would protrude from a hole in the table. You would need to build a fence system.

You lose the ability to plunge if you have a plunge base. I have my fixed base router mounted in a craftsman one from the 80s. Gonna build a nice one when I get around to it.
>>
>>1079959
I actually value tools more than ever now that I'm a broke ass mofo. My father left me with his collection of tools from his father too. I may never had ask for tools because I had always known someone who had them.
>>
>>1080869
>Can I make a decent one?

my table >>1080709
literally just an end table out of a trash pile, and 3 screws
>>
>>1079984
He wants some tools to have fun torturing his sister. Torch for blinding and pliers for ripping teeth out. Next he'll ask for a saw so he can hack limbs off.
>>
>>1079959
>I'm 52
Well that gives another meaning to oldfag.
>>
File: greenlexluthorlaughingelfnman.jpg (11KB, 256x352px) Image search: [Google]
greenlexluthorlaughingelfnman.jpg
11KB, 256x352px
>>1079959
Jokes on you, I'm a man child and ask my mom for tools all the time
>>
>>1080991
Noice. Have you ever guilt tripped her for bringing you into this terrible world?
>>
>>1080014
so much this. and good luck if you want to work with anything that isn't pine.
>>
File: merry-go-round-mixer.gif (1MB, 400x299px) Image search: [Google]
merry-go-round-mixer.gif
1MB, 400x299px
>>1080602
Are you by any chance Bosnian?
>>
>>1079959
My kids ask. They have their own tool cases although the four years old has been collecting trash in it. He thinks old grinding wheels are highly valued treasures...
>>
>>1079959
Nigga, my dad had all the tools I could mess with, why would I ask for some?
I didnt start collecting tools for myself until I was in my late teens.
>>
>>1079959
I asked for a hammer when I was 9. Also asked for a screwdriver set for Christmas, a solder gun, and a toolbox.

I'm 21. That hammer is my go-to slut for anything. Screwdrivers are half lost because of a lazy family borrower leaving them in the dirt, and the solder gun needs a new tip.

Nah man, there are kids out there who love tools, its just how the parents bring them up. If the kid is never taught how to do hands-on tasks, they will never know how to fix a car, repair a chair, or even recycle furniture.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.