[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm watching one of Mike Holmes' shows because there's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: mikeholmes.jpg (51KB, 463x586px) Image search: [Google]
mikeholmes.jpg
51KB, 463x586px
I'm watching one of Mike Holmes' shows because there's nothing else on at this hour of the morning. He just said never to use bleach on mold, only soap and water. What the fuck is he on about?
>>
>>1079667
Different strokes for different folks. Just soap and water will work, but it's not the only way to get the job done.
>>
>>1079667

In context, the mold he typically says to use soap and water on is surface mold. It can be washed away and cleaned up without the use of harsh chemicals. Bleach is like trying to fight a kitchen fire with an atomic bomb.

In the case where the mold has gotten into things like fibre board, wall board or deeper than just the surface in general, then he's a proponent of replacement vs cleaning.
>>
>>1079678
I would be more interested in replacement than cleaning if I was getting paid to do the work too
>>
>>1079667

Is he the guy that turns a $5,000 kitchen rennovation into a $50,000 house refurb?
>>
File: mike-holmes-net-worth2.jpg (34KB, 550x317px) Image search: [Google]
mike-holmes-net-worth2.jpg
34KB, 550x317px
>>1079716
The gist of his show is that he goes to a house that a private contractor had fucked up with shoddy renos. Then he ripss everything out and explains how to do it correctly. Ostensibly, the production company pays for the work.

Pretty good show desu.

>Daddy Holmes will never instruct you in the proper application of chimney flashing, and then take you to the bedroom to teach you how to make love
>>
>>1079667
Other anons have covered it.

But the reason behind it is that bleach doesnt really kill the mold. The sporulating bodies might be knocked back, but the body of the mold will be unaffected by the chemical. In fact, it can just encourage more mold growth on account of adding water to the substrate to help feed it.

Surface mold should be scrubbed away with a bristle brush and moistened towel and promptly dried.

The addition of TSP, Washing Soda, and Baking Soda to the wash mix can help fight the growth of spores and fruiting bodies if moisture does return.
>>
>>1079667
If I recall correctly, I read somewhere that mold does not actually get killed by bleach, and it will come back.
>>
>>1079830
>Surface mold should be scrubbed away with a bristle brush and moistened towel and promptly dried.

OP here. I did what you are saying, but also cleansed the washroom with bleach, and then re-painted. I didn't replace shit, the bathroom is fine and my tenants have been happy for the past year since this problem came up.
>>
>>1079791
There is much that can be learned from the show. However, there is something to remember, it's a Canadian show. Some of the stuff he does cannot or should not be done in parts of the US. Especially if you don't live just south of Canada.
>>
>>1079917
Like what?
>>
>>1079925

While I've only ever seen a few episodes I'd think things regarding insulation and ventilation.

I know in Florida insulation is sometimes mounted with the kraft face outward - the reason being it's rarely cold and the humidity is higher on the outside than inside. Meaning the vapor barrier needs to be on the humid side since it never gets cold. There are other things that vary by region in the US. Evap coolers are great if you live in the Southwest (or at least functional), but in the Southeast you end up creating a fuck ton of mold because the humidity is already +60% on a day when it's 95F.

A whole lot of building things vary by region...but if you are getting into shit on this level at least consult some local building codes to get an idea.
>>
>>1079830
Not saying you're wrong, but I was a HAZMAT guy and did a few mold jobs.
We removed any effected sheetrock but then just washed everything else down with a water/bleach solution.
Like I said you could be completely correct. I don't know if the problem ever resurfaced.
But up north we don't have as much of the same problem up here. Those jobs were all the result of leaking or backed up septic.
>>
>>1079941
Meaning the paper would be against your "siding" side instead on the interior wall side?
>>
>>1079830
You sir are 100% correct
>>
>>1080118
>We removed any effected sheetrock but then just washed everything else down with a water/bleach solution.
The bleach is completely and utterly useless. It will remove some of the coloration improving its appearence but thats it.

The primary problem associated with using liquid cleaners is the fact they hydrate the substrate encouraging increased mold growth inside the effected material.

The use of any liquid mold treatment solution should immediately be followed with drying treatment to dry both the treatment solution and the effected substrate. This step should be considered not optional. If there is a recurrent source of moisture that should be remediiated before mold treatment.

The use of TSP, washing soda, and baking soda as a cleanser is indicated on account of this mixture's ability to help break down mycelial and fruiting bodies due to its toxicity. And the residue of the salts left behind act to stunt the growth of new fruiting bodies and their ability to significalty inhibit spores from germinating. This is the solution used in the marine industry to pretreat sails and other fabrics being stored over winter with pretty good success.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.