[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I will be given a long sheet of 3/4" plate glass. I want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 8osnbT.png (234KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
8osnbT.png
234KB, 600x375px
I will be given a long sheet of 3/4" plate glass. I want to use it for a coffee table, but I need it cut to length. would a glass scoring/cutting tool from a hardware store be sufficient to cut 3/4" glass? Alternatively, would an auto glass shop be able to cut it for me?
>>
>>1079631
What's stopping you approaching an actual glazier?
>>
If you're using tempered glass, which is the only safe option for a glass tabletop, then you can't cut it. Autoglass is tempered so they can't help you since the order all their glass to size.
>>
>>1079637
This is very important op. Make sure it's tempered.
>>
>>1079632
The fact that I won't be able to fit it in my car so I will be carrying it on foot with a friend.
>>
>>1079700
My friend said the fact that its so large (78" 18" 3/4") means its probably temppered. How could i check?
>>
>>1079732
You can look at it in the sunlight with polarized sunglasses and there will be spots or lines on it. There might also be markings on one of the corners depending on where it came from.

If it isn't tempered and you fall on it or something it has a pretty good chance of killing you.
>>
>>1079732
It's almost certainly tempered. Sounds like it's a window, and nobody puts in a huge, thick plate glass window that isn't tempered. Cutting and grinding must be done prior to tempering.

If it is tempered, it's basically a white elephant unless you want a huge glass dining room table.
>>
>>1079631
Is it going to be used as a table top or is it going to be placed on top of a wooden table to protect the table top? If its the second option you can use plate, if not then it will have to be tempered. If the glass you have is tempered and you try to cut it it will shatter. Tempered glass has a certain sound when tapped with something metal as opposed to the sound of annealed. Also as the other anon said it will have spots when looked at through polarized or it will say tempered on the bug in the corner. Tempered cannot be cut unless re-annealed. As far as actually cutting the glass I haven't cut anything larger than 3/8" if you decide to try to cut it use a brush dipped in kero and brush where you're going to cut before you score.
>>
Tempered vs Annealed, may be useful to know about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i5rycLJ3D8
>>
Why not just build a big ass coffee table around the glass?
>>
>>1079631
My Penns can cut it....
>>
>>1079631
Tell them they some dumb dikes spit in there face and tell the stfu
>>
>>1079631
Ok well it looks like you are fucked op but just to let you know that a glass tool from the hardware store only creates a tiny score like a crack in the glass, you then have to break the glass and it just smashes along the line you scored. It won't cut the glass. So if you think you are capable of snapping 3/4"glass by hand then good fucking luck to you buddy.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.