[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the most direct path to building synthesizers? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1456533417734.jpg (41KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1456533417734.jpg
41KB, 512x512px
What's the most direct path to building synthesizers? I've attempted to research self teaching paths but it seems like you're either building kits which don't teach much beyond soldering schematics and assembly. Anything is useful thanks for all replies.
>>
Bamp
>>
>building kits which don't teach much

It's up to you to learn concepts and theory from the kit, even if they don't provide the best learning materials. These days you should be able to find enough supplementary material on the web. Hell, a guy at my work who just retired got his start on analog synths as a teen.
>>
>>1079167
Which supplementary material would you be referring to?
>>
>>1079139
Get into modular synthesis now.
>>
>>1079230
I'm more interested in designing modules. I have wanted to buy a eurorack system for some time but would also like to eventually design my own.
>>
>>1079139
I'm also very ,much interested in building synthesisers and effects units.

I'm currently reading through a couple of books "A practical introduction to electronic circuits" & "Make:Analog synthesisers" they both seem quite good but what I'd really like to do is make some simple circuits on breadboard so I can experiment with things a bit more.
I have built a few basic kits the last being PT2399 delay unit and I've just got a reverb kit through the post this morning, which I'm hoping to breadboard.Thing is I can never seem to find anything breadboard related and overtime I try to breadboard a schematic I seem to fuck it up.
I know I should just suck it up and work through a basic electronics book, but time is limited and I'd much rather learn about sound specific stuff than how to make a LED blink.

Does anyone know any basic breadboard projects that will baby step me through the schematic to breadboard, bonus points for sound related stuff? I might try the PT2399 basic schematic, but again I've had no luck finding how to breadboard this?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1080063
Pic related
>>
aww shiet, this is now eurocrack general.
i got shit to post, but I'm at school. ill be back
>>
File: 20161108_180837.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20161108_180837.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
just finished my drum module.
its a modded cb55, voice clone of boss dr.55

shitty recordings:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0WjsvpgoNdr
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1U7NkVOEpRw

I'm experimenting with spring reverb. thought I find it hard to gain it up to the input level without all sorts of noise.

i've bought a few pcb's, but its all diy.
the sequencer, lfo and output mixer are my own creations, though pretty simple.
other than those, i got a vco, lpg, and delay on veroboard, made from various schematics.
>>
>>1079139
Google 'music from outer space'
H
>>
OP, do you mean modular synths or non-modular?

>>1081421
ray wilson is dead, and his shop is too.
however, some retailers carry his pcbs, like soundtronics.

if op is a true noob, he could use a complete kit, not just pcbs.
also mfos is quite involved.
op could use something simpler to start of with.

but i do agree that mfos is great.
my primary vco is mfos.

I'd say start with some simple kits.
i cant say i like synthrotek, but it seems to be the starting place for many.
>>
finally got around to fixing my synthrotek delay.
discrepancies in the BoM and pictures had me place some resistors with incorrect values.

this was like a year ago.
10 minutes is all it took.
I keep neglecting older projects for whatever idea i got next.
like half my shit isn't even finished to a point of testing.

gonna have a look at my sample en hold next.
synthrotek doesn't release schematics for most their stuff, not helping troubleshooting

the noise sources are pretty shit, but the instructions tell me to use a fucking spectrum analyzer.
I dont use them much anyway.

mostly i just sample an lfo.
i like how they loop, and my lfo's have skew and level controls so i can manipulate it quite a lot.
the problem is that it drifts quite a lot if it isn't constantly triggered.

I might drop one of the noise sources to buy room for an output attenuator on the panel.
would be nice to be able to sample vco's and shit without the range being too big.
>>
File: 20161111_005039.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20161111_005039.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1081753
got my other delay working too.
this one based on the synthrotek echo.
its a bit simpler as it doesn't have feedback CV

but i like it more because the sound isn't as metallic when using feedback.
warmer i guess.

the issue with it was that i had connected ground to the wrong side of the mix pot, making it 100% dry no matter the setting.
D'oh!
>>
>>1082885
shitty phone recordings:
both in parallel, tweaking the mix knobs to compare the sound
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0rDYAbq1AAS

modulating delay time on the echo
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0TncJfiH633
>>
>>1081446
You're right, his website is down. What a shame, that was really useful. Does anyone have a mirror?>>1079139
>>
>>1082929
>http://musicfromouterspace.com/
the site isn't down.
its just not selling PCBs
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.