[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My mixer stopped working, so i opened it up and found the gears

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: 20161102_121522.jpg (4MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20161102_121522.jpg
4MB, 4128x3096px
My mixer stopped working, so i opened it up and found the gears are quite worn out (pic related). Now i romoved the parts and i want to replace it. I could either 3D print it, or order it from somewhere. My problem is, that i do not really know what I am looking for. What is the name of such a gear. And where could i obtain a printing file from?
It's a Phillips HR1570/71
>>
File: 20161102_123920.jpg (3MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20161102_123920.jpg
3MB, 4128x3096px
That's the gear i am talking about
>>
File: 1476112518382.gif (2MB, 400x216px) Image search: [Google]
1476112518382.gif
2MB, 400x216px
>>1078807
you're not printing that unless you make the file yourself. it's a worm wheel/spur gear combo likely made of acetal.

you're more likely to run into and pay less for a working one at a thrift store
>>
>>1078810
This.
It's already around $40 just for a suitable material to print with. And that's not taking into account the hours you spend making the model and the tweaks you'll have to make to account for shrinkage
>>
>>1078810
That's not acetal

I can tell that's UHMW PE from a mile away

Acetal is prone to stress fractures from impact, no way they would make gears out of that
>>
>>1078828
acetal is a pretty common material for worm wheels, saw a few polyethylenes, though now i'm thinking they're nylon (cheapest)
>>
The design sucks. Buy a used old time all metal mixer at thrift store for dirt cheap and you'll have a MUCH better mixer for little money.
>>
>>1078807
>I could either 3D print it
>And where could i obtain a printing file from
fucking kys if you bought a 3d printer despite lacking the basic CAD skills to design something as simple as those gears
>>
>>1078807
what a shit fucking gearbox, i bet that spindle gets hotter than a $2 pistol so unless those gears are teflon it's just going to wear out again.

save yourself the trouble and use bench top drill press for mixing dough, a half horse motor + VFD will get you any speed you want and it'll never wear out.
>>
>>1078807
Google name of item + replacement parts like any sane person and decide if it's worth fixing.
>>
>>1078846
I have access to some printers in my university
>>
>>1078898
Well they wont pay for the material, you will, especially if you print something that large. My uni lets small prints slide if it is a one time thing, but a part that large that also need to be solid is very costly to 3d print
>>
>>1078828
Polyethylene is glorified candle wax, the fact that they make gears out of it in the first place is appalling.
>>
>>1078807

>2016
>not taking advantage of capitalistic mass production

our species is doomed
>>
File: 100_8841(1)[1].jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
100_8841(1)[1].jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>1078838
Bad news for you mate, even mixers as far back as the 50's used plastic gears. I collect, service, and flip old Sunbeam and Hamilton Beach mixers a fair amount and they all had plastic gears. you have to get pre-WWII mixers if you want all metal gears. They are very hard to find, expensive and not very powerful.

KitchenAid and, iirc Dormeyer, used metal gears, but they are not cheap or easy to come by.

That said, the old Sunbeams and Beaches are still tougher then the turds made today.
>>
>>1078907
> implying any plastics won't burn
>>
>>1078912
Even Kitchenaid used plastic for a few years, before everyone threw a shit fit about it. They supposedly switched back to metal, and I think they'll upgrade to metal if you got a plastic geared one, but look out and Google before you spring on a Kitchenaid even.
>>
>>1078912
>tfw I have a hobart lift bowl kitchenaid
>>
>>1078807
>i do not really know what I am looking for

A model number and manufacturer.

Then go to google, and enter it in a look for an exploded diagram. Find your part. Get it's number and search for that.
>>
>>1078807
Those arent warn out. Those things are melted...
>>
>>1078807
What the fuck were you mixing that you get enough torque to chew it up that bad?
>>
>>1078912
Can't you machine an aluminium ones?
>>
>>1079027
>aluminium

Augggh!

Try bronze instead.
>>
File: 1474450429429.jpg (88KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1474450429429.jpg
88KB, 720x960px
>>1078807
I hate to go all "buyfag" on you but unless you are willing to pay out the ass then you have to accept that most modern kitchen equipment with moving parts will be made of plastic and have a limited lifespan because of that, I'd salvage the motor for any future projects you might wish to make and just buy another mixer, they're not exactly expensive so if you get say ten years out of one then it's not too bad.
>>
>>1078807
Not worth fucking about with, just buy a mixer.

If you wanted to 3D print it then you'd need to be pretty cock on with measuring it and drawing it in CAD. If you have to ask then I'm thinking you aren't at that level.
>>
>>1079027
>I need to replace a $25 hand mixer
>Let me spend a couple hundred getting custom machined gears made

Ladies and gentlemen, the most DIY post in this thread.

>>1079308
>Lets use this even more expensive metal
I stand corrected. Bravo.
>>
>>1078912
>>1081186
i'm pretty sure you could find a pair of steel gears that would fit on mcmaster carr or something.
>>
>>1081186
I don't now where do you live, but in the shithole country that I live, and my shitty city, there are "technical schools" (trade schools?) Where they teach you from woodworking, welding, mechanic to cnc mill operator, so if you go and talk one of the students of cnc or industrial machines they can machine you any piece just give them the raw material (2" aluminium/bronze rod) and a $10usd equivalent and you can walk home with a brand new sproucket/cog/helicoidal gear.
>>
Forge yourself a set of chisels from a few railroad spikes and use them to carve a new gear from a hardwood log.
>>
>>1078807
Go find a used commercial mixer on Craigslist. Look for Hobart in particular.
>>
i reckon if you put the gears back in upside down you would have enough bite for the mixer to work. i don't think you could buy metal gears the same size to replace them. you could take gears from two burnt out anglegrinders but you would have to build a mixer around them.
>>
>>1078925

Kitchen Aid even in the '60s used some phenolic composite gears in their machine. Not a bad idea since it would break apart if the mixer jammed instead of the big gears breaking.

OP: Mixers like yours are $5 at tag sales in the US. Unless your heart is set on a DIY solution I'd just replace it. You could get a used Kitchen Aid for under $100usd if you really wanted to.
>>
Check the mechanic resistance of the steal use for the original gear and look if it s matching with your 3d printer consummable. Most of the time constructor oversize the structure between 30percent to 50 of the current nees. In my opinion you can replace it by a diy gear made by 3d printer. Just measure the principal charasteric of your gear (diameter, number of teeth, antrax, angle...). More it will be close of your original gears more it will be efficient. Be carefull of the precision of your printer maybe it won t be able to do the gear. But to be honest it would be cheaper if you buy it. Maybe it s even cheaper if you find a broken like yours in discount
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.