[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i really want to build up some adventure buss from some old school

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: dsc02109.jpg (1MB, 4240x2384px) Image search: [Google]
dsc02109.jpg
1MB, 4240x2384px
i really want to build up some adventure buss from some old school bus. What do you think how much money will i need for like furniture water and solar panels?
>>
>>1078646
Not as expensive as you would think.

Firstly, you should get:
>The bus
There are many types of buses, rear engine, front engine, semi-front engine, but if you like a quiet living area, the rear engine bus would be your best bet.
>Driver's license
Your current license is not going to work. In order to drive larger vehicles, you need a commercial license and driving without one is asking for trouble.
>Some tools
You will need to strip the bus of all of its seats, but once this is done, now it is time for redecorating, and this is the part that is really left up to you.
>Bathroom
It is possible to set up a bathroom inside the bus, but you can always just stop at a truck stop and use their's. You would need to get plumbing done if you want a bathroom and a way to drain it once it gets full.
>Beginning
If you want to do this as fast as possible, you can literally throw in a bed/mattress, a small electric stove, a couch, a TV and some movies, and other appliances.

Also, bus engines are much larger and complicated than the ones inside normal cars. If the engine ever just starts revving like crazy and won't stop even if you turn it off(this is extremely rare), then you will need to cover the small turbine inside the engine with something. Fixing these engines when they stop working is much more difficult and you should probably consult a mechanic.
>>
I don't have experience with installing floor's so that one is up to you.

The bus should look something like this when you are done clearing it, and you should be able to cover the windows with curtains and throw in a few simple things.
>>
>>1078653
>I don't have experience with installing floor's so that one is up to you.
I do. Wood is forgiving and straightforward. It needs to be able to 'breathe' and shift slightly as it expands and contracts with temp and humidity. Hardwood floors always have a ~1/2 inch gap between floor and walls around the perimeter of the room. You just need to hide it under baseboards, appliances, whatever.

You can either do nail-down or floating... nail down is more durable, but will be a pain in a bus.
>>
>school bus
>gas

good luck with that
>>
>>1078646
Do you want to know how I know you aren't actually committed and won't actually invest in this project?
>>
>>1078650
>Your current license is not going to work

Maybe, maybe not. A full CDL implies driving for commercial purposes. Not all states require them for private buses. Some states do require an endorsement for larger vehicles. But these are not as difficult/expensive to obtain than a full CDL. You certainly won't need a passenger transport CDL (bus driver's license).
>>
>>1078875
I believe in California you only need a larger vehicle endorsement over 40 feet or so for example.
>>
>>1078880
Florida you only need a large vehicle endorsement for driving stuff weighing over X amount of tons.

As for the OP. id say get an old coach bus. Because the under storage is best for keeping battery banks and propane tanks.
>>
>>1078880
>I believe in California you only need a larger vehicle endorsement over 40 feet or so for example.

You need a special endorsement for anything with air brakes.

Plan out your plumbing carefully. You'll need fresh water, black water and grey water tanks. Those can be fairly heavy when filled. Ideally between the frame rails close to the back axle.
>>
>>1078646
It would be cheaper without the LED pseudofilament lamps.
>>
>>1078646
Get a camper you retard.
>>
>>1078947
In Ohio, a Class B with Passenger endorsement is enough to seat any amount of people over whatever their cutoff is (I think it's 16?), and if for whatever reason you want to actually drive kids around, you need a separate endorsement for that.

Also, short buses are a little wider than normal length buses, and usually aren't diesel. You may want to keep that in mind when deciding which type of bus to get.
>>
>>1078646
I've seen it done. Good luck. You can buy busses for next to nothing on government liquidation sites
>>
You do not need a cdl for airbrakes if it's not for commercial purposes.
>>
This has been a dream of mine as well. Someone should make a bus house IRC. The number i came up with was $15000. Ill post that sheet next.
>>
>>1078646
Box truck is a good option for more room and easier parts/tires.
>>
>>1078646
This is god damned beautiful.

I want to add onto OPs question and ask how much it'd cost to have one of these made for me?
>>
File: Bus and truck.jpg (124KB, 960x575px) Image search: [Google]
Bus and truck.jpg
124KB, 960x575px
This is something I have been owrking on for about 14 months.

In Florida, all you need is for it to be registered as an RV. And you can drive it legally with a standard license. No weight restrictions.

Florida law defines an RV as a vehicle with 3 or more fixtures. I have Shower, Sink, and Toilet.

Rear engine V12 diesel.
>>
>>1081903
Anyone willing to do this will probably charge you well over six figures.
>>
>>1082154
250k will get you the bus of your dreams...
>>
damn im so jealous of you Americans who can just simply buy a fucking bus and turn it into a home and drive and live and park with that for cheap

here it would be cheaper buying a fucking mansion
>>
>>1082951
>damn im so jealous of you Americans
as all foreigners should be
>who can just simply buy a fucking bus and turn it into a home
Isn't it great?
>drive and live and park with that for cheap
well it's only going to get like 6 miles per gallon
It's hard to find a place to park it, too. You can stop at rest stops (usually spaced out like ~60 miles along major interstates), or pay to park in an RV camp, but a lot of those are restricted to late model RVs over a certain size to keep out the poor people.. Your other option is state/national parks but you've gotta move every week/month depending on the park.
>>
>>1078646
In the US a bus under CDL weight limits, without air brakes, and used as an RV (some states have seat count requirements) does not require a special license.

I had a 60 passenger International as a shop bus. It was a bad idea since buses make shit shops and have very little useful space for work. I replaced it with a Steelmaster steel building kit. Will not do again but it was a good learning experience.

Buses are often money pits, and they suck for travel unless fitted out as an RV, but you can get used RVs and travel trailers easily in the US. If your truck towing a trailer shits the bed, you can swap trucks. If your bus shits the bed, the towing bill can break you.

Think carefully before choosing. I'd go with a truck and a travel trailer, or modify a horse trailer to take my motorcycles. A box truck with a liftgate is pretty cool and fits in more spaces. Liftgates are love for loading your vehicle. Buses have doors, and doors SUCK.

Check out race tracks for different options. You will see some buses, but not a lot. There are many better options out there. Headroom in many buses sucks unless you are a manlet.

IMO most people with buses really run them because they like looking at them, not for any functional virtue.

If you buy a bus with hydraulic brakes, INSPECT THE WHOLE SYSTEM. Hydro-Vac etc on older buses are not cheap to replace boosters. Hydraulic brakes on a full sized bus are less safe than air brakes which are on most newer buses. Study how both work to learn why.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.