[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

looking at picking up this lathe but I'm pretty inexper

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

looking at picking up this lathe but I'm pretty inexperienced with lathes so I'm not sure if this would be an awful decision

it looks like I would need a new faceplate and likely need new bearings in the motors and spindle but for a 3/4 hp lathe I am really fucking tempted.

what do you think?

http://columbia.craigslist.org/tls/5837795178.html
>>
File: 00Y0Y_jvbxY1WHdl4_1200x900.jpg (183KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
00Y0Y_jvbxY1WHdl4_1200x900.jpg
183KB, 1200x900px
>>1077774
CRAP wrong image
>>
>>1077775
>>1077774
Negative. That is a crap lathe. The bed is a pipe. A SINGLE pipe at that. It will flex on you and the tail stock might even slip (depending on the design). You want a cast bed. Also, the motor is lying to you about its power output. It is probably somewhere around 1/2 HP, and maybe not even that. If it's inefficient, which is likely because it is Taiwanese garbage, it is probably closer to 1/3rd HP.

$200?? That fucker is out of his mind. It's worth less than half that. I'd price that turd at $75 and take best offer.
>>
>>1077774
I had a look at the lathes in your area and holy fuck. The selection is decent but the prices are insane. I thought in the south stuff was cheap. I live in California. The other side of the country where the good stuff is manufactured and my prices are half what these fucks are charging.

This lathe is decent, if overpriced: http://charleston.craigslist.org/tls/5790544263.html
It's in Charleston though, so you'll have to trek out to buy it.

This lathe is *really* overpriced ($600) but its probably the best quality one for sale around you, period: http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/5814952757.html
Again, it's a trek. There is an identical lathe, with more accessories, for sale where I live for $450 and it's been on the market for 2 months because it's overpriced. If it was $300 it might sell. The fact that this guy has had it on the market for a month tells me it's overpriced for your area as well. Sign up for the OWWM forums and check out their for sale area. There might be something decent in your neck of the woods.
>>
>>1077774
Here's another overpriced Craftsman: http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/5817096056.html
It's a good lathe. I have one. I paid $80 for it. This tool wants $365. What is wrong with your part of the country dude?
>>
>>1077792
it's a springfield. not taiwanese springfield ohio, both for the motor and the body

it's not lying about its output

and thats not a single pipe it is a solid cast bar

I take it you just looked at the images without reading the plates
>>
>>1077797
>>1077795
people keep and use their tools forever

we have enough land here if you arent gonna use something again for a decade you just keep it somewhere else on your land instead of selling it

also our flea markets are great
>>
>>1077795
>>1077797
thanks for the links but I dont think that craftsman is very good compared to what I linked
>>
>>1077800
nevermind, looks like they replaced the motor with a new one
>>
>>1077800
>it's a springfield. not taiwanese springfield ohio, both for the motor and the body
That's funny, Check the listing on CL again. It clearly has Taiwan stamped on the motor. It's also a Taiwanese design. Seeing as how the company "Springfield Cast" was only in business for a few years in the mid/late 80's I very much doubt they sourced their machines for the US suppliers or made them themselves. They were an importer.

>it's not lying about its output
It's totally lying about the output. It says it is 3/4th HP but only pulls 8 Amps. Sorry, no.

>and thats not a single pipe it is a solid cast bar
The issue isn't that it is solid or hollow. The issue is that the bed is round and made of cheap metal. You want a cast iron or steel bed that is not round in shape. Or at the very least made of double pipe. The Shopsmith used double pipe and it is decent. This thing is a turd. It will flex under might load and there a chance the tail stock will twist around the pipe.
>>
>>1077812
No, they didn't. Google the machine. Every single listing out there for Springfield Cast has a Taiwanese motor. They were an importer dude.

>>1077809
Both of those Craftsmans are head and shoulders above that Taiwanese turd you listed. The $225 one is probably the best deal in year area, based on the ridiculous prices you are paying.
>>
>>1077814
3/4HP=559.275 Watts
8 Amps * 110V= 880VA~880W
559.275W/880W= 63.55% efficiency
how is it hard to believe that a taiwanese motor can achieve 63.55% efficiency? especially since it is a 1 speed motor so they would put its speed right at the peak of its efficiency curve

but yeah, maybe this isnt the best choice. the price for 3/4hp seems very good in my mind but maybe a hobo freight would be acceptable in this price range for beginning lathe work

the mount pleasent one here seems like it would also be interesting but if i were to drop lathe working I would be stuck with a lathe I may never be able to move again

>>1077814
>>1077816
looks like I was confusing this lathe for the old springfield lathe company which I was familiar with rather the company name is "springfield cast" rather than a cast "springfield"

sorry for wasting your time
>>
>>1077800
>not taiwanese springfield ohio
I best this dude thinks Milwaukee tools are still made in America too.

Oh, oh, he'll love Harbor Freight. Chicago Electric tools, Pittsburg tools, US General tool boxes, all made in the USA right?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.