[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm planning to do up a tankard in a steampunk style, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

I'm planning to do up a tankard in a steampunk style, and I'll need to paint it to get the right look. I was planning on using spray paint, but I'm not sure how safe it would be, and whether the paint would wash off in warm, soapy water. I need to paint it and seal it, but I've really got no idea where to start. I would need some kind of sealing clear coat over the top of it to make it safe to wash and drink from, but I know basically nothing about paints... What do?
>>
>>1077770
>paint
>food

no, just no, maybe only externally but even that, is a very bad idea
>>
>>1077771
YEah, it would only be externally, I was going to keep the lip and interior covered when painting it. Surely there's some type of non-toxic clear enamel sealant thing that I could just cover the finished paint job with that wouldn't wash off?
>>
>>1077770
OP

here is what you want:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#8916k89/=14tpe64

braze it with some food grade braze to a plate on the bottom

fold another piece of no lead bronze

keep nickel level really low as well, there is a chance nickel is a carcinogen though there is no absolute proof yet

dont paint it
>>
>>1077781
I have no idea what you just told me to do...
>>
>>1077784
take a length of metal tube with thick wall like what I posted (what I posted is a bit on the expensive side but you can use brass instead which almost all are safe for beverages and might give you a better aesthetic)

put the tube onto a circular plate of the same material, brush the interface of the two with water soluble flux. Then put a length of aluminum or silver based braze

use a cheap $20 propane torch to heat up the metal right at the interface. the flux will begin bubbling and soon the braze will melt and seep into the interface

congratulations you just learned how to braze, it isnt as strong as a weld but it is plenty strong for a tankard

here is a video with someone brazing so you can see what the process looks like

again use brass or lead free bronze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uST7iJgC_gs
>>
>>1077789
I've done some brazing before, so I'm familiar with the technique, but I don't have any of the equipment or even a safe place to do it, so it's out of the question for this project really. It would also blow me WAY over budget. Thanks for the suggestion though!
>>
>>1077805
not a safe place to do it

do you not have a road outside your house? or a sidewalk near by?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.