[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Using pic related means you don't have the right tool for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 19

File: 159424_2000x2000.jpg (289KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
159424_2000x2000.jpg
289KB, 2000x2000px
Using pic related means you don't have the right tool for the job.

Prove me wrong. Tell me something this is the perfect tool for without a purpose-made alternative.
>>
File: 734635.jpg (26KB, 500x176px) Image search: [Google]
734635.jpg
26KB, 500x176px
And before someone says "gripping pipes"

Nope, for that there's this.
>>
How about a tool for when you can't bring 3-4 different ones you dumb shit. Do you take your whole shop everywhere you go?
>>
>>1076347
Hydraulic pipes. Like brakes on a car. Those buggers strip all too easily on an old rusty piece of shit. Then I use one of those. In general rusty bolts on cars. Stripping sucks.
>>
>>1076371
My point exactly: generic substitute tool
>>
>>1076380
You're actually retarded... It hurts me.
>>
Same thing as like, a crescent wrench. For when you have something to tighten or loosen that's an odd size, stripped out, or you just don't have the specific wrench for it. All non-specialized pliers are basically for the same sort of thing, just different circumstances.
>>
>>1076347
Im not sure what you are trying to accomplish with this thread, other than looking like a retard.

Comparing rhombus jawed pliers made for pipe fittings and nuts to a straight jawed pipe wrench, as if they are the same tool with the same purpose.
>>
>>1076347
whenever i'm doing hydraulic work i always use one to shear off all the fasteners to the correct torque, that way the next person to come along can't come and fuck up all my good work.
>>
>>1076347
>Tongue-and-groove pliers are commonly used for turning and holding nuts and bolts, gripping irregularly shaped objects, and clamping materials.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue-and-groove_pliers

I hope you get permab&
>>
>>1076410
>what's a spanner
>>
File: KN8603set_600.gif (64KB, 600x360px) Image search: [Google]
KN8603set_600.gif
64KB, 600x360px
you're right

pic related
>>
File: fig026.jpg (34KB, 411x490px) Image search: [Google]
fig026.jpg
34KB, 411x490px
>>1076422
Pic related.

And even if you were going to use the stupid yuropoor definition of a spanner, you arent going to carry them all around.

You think someone is going to carry around like 10 pounds of just large sized wrenches in addition to his regular tools, when they literally dont work any better?

This is why you and your thread is retarded.
You have an idiot father who misused a tool, therefore the tool has no purpose. Good job
>>
>>1076347
>Tell me something this is the perfect tool for without a purpose-made alternative.
Its the perfect tool for about a million things.
Griping shit, clamping shit, crushing shit, screwing shit, jacking shit, hitting shit and hitting people. And you can carry it around in your pocket when working.
Only home hobby scrubs who obsess about tools can't appreciate a good multi purpose tool.
>>
>>1076373
this. Channel locks are like the only difference between a millwright and pipefitter. They give you equal force on each jaw even if can only apply force to one handle making them great for hydraulic fittings especially in hard to reach spots
>>
>>1076347

they are perfect for holding against something in tight areas to undo a nut or union.
>>
>>1076422
>irregularly shaped objects
Wow, just like everyone said, you're actually clinically retarded.
>>
>OP carries a metal toolbox with thousands of the 'correct' tools for appearances
I have a job to do, buddy. I get it done my way. Come back when you get a real job where you have to carry your tools around.
>>
>all these plebs bitching about carrying a tool box
>tfw currently have 4 full tool boxes and 6 sockets sets in my truck
>>
>>1076347
Channellock 4 1/2-Inch

I keep them in my HVAC tool bag to tighten and loosen knurled service port caps.
>>
File: IMG_4108.jpg (79KB, 400x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4108.jpg
79KB, 400x360px
>>1076347
They're the only thing I've found to open pic related.
>>
File: buttplug.jpg (62KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
buttplug.jpg
62KB, 800x600px
>>1076347
ok so:
>you're doing an oil change on a shitbox GM.
>M18x2 sump plug, the extra-shitty type with the tiny shallow 13mm hex and like 40mm of thread engagement into an alloy pan.
>these fuckin threads gall and stick if you overtighten the plug, and the last oil tech under this shitbox was a gorilla with a cheater bar.
>you're doing everything right, but the even using a six point socket that's been ground to a flat end and going slow and easy, you just ripped the pathetic little half-thickness hex right off the fucking plug.
>you go to weld a nut on. the welder does nothing but clack and whirr at you.
>your MIG wire is in another castle
hades_ok_fine_im_cool.gif

>so you've blowtorched the sump around the plug until it starts to smoke,
>you carve a divot into the rim of the plug with a cold chisel and begin to drive it lefty loosey.
>it's way too hot to touch, it's still stiff as all hell, and when it cools down it'll seize back up.
>welp, you could continue to hammer-peck it around for the 20 fuckin turns it takes to get this stupidly long ass plug out of it's hole. maybe. if you were gomer pyle.
>grabbing onto the rim of the plug with lineman's pliers, you can swing about five degrees because of the lumps on the sump casting.
>the pliers are slipping and peeling metal flakes off. into your eyes. fuck.
>there's not enough swing to take up the slop in a babby pipe wrench.
in this situation, slipjoint pliers will let you grip the remains of the plug and waggle it out in ten seconds flat.

inb4 >bro just use a ez-out. you belong in a garbage can.
>>
File: 715ywdT+xzL._SY355_.jpg (17KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
715ywdT+xzL._SY355_.jpg
17KB, 355x355px
>>1076425
These, and pic related, are what I use for half of the stuff I do at work.

When you're 40 feet up a ladder working by yourself, an all in one tool can come in handy.
>>
>>1076513
>not using rubber faced pliers to avoid marring the knurling...

Jesus it's like you want to make your job look like shit.
>>
>>1076472
>still just proving hes never had to get off his fat ass and carry one of those toolboxes
>>
>>1076580
just replace the cap, the o-rings are usually shit by the time you need pliers to remove them.
>>
>>1076347
I use them for whell allignment. When tie rod ends are loosened I can quickly rotate them to proper position.
Also i second that >>1076373
They are great for loosening them.
>>
this board is so full of edgelords who have never actually done some real work
>>
OP is a fucking nigger

>removing knock outs on electrical boxes
>holding small things while cutting with sawzall/hackzall/bandsaw
>tightening connectors/lock rings

Have you ever worked a fucking day in your life?
>>
I keep mine in the small of my back. Perfect for gripping a truss pin to rotate em when they get stuck. And gripping a lot of shit in general.

And if you don't know how to use a multi-purpose tool just as well as a single purpose? Then you have failed at knowing how to do your job. I have one specialized tool in my work bag - my brain bucket. Everything else I need done? multi, c-wrench, channel locks, hammer. I don't even use the hammer half the time.
>>
spring loaded hose clamps
>>
>>1076347
Just because you don't know how to properly use a tool doesn't mean it doesn't have a use
>>
>>1076584
I carry and use them almost daily you weak piece of lard. Maybe if you ever left your parents basement you'd know real men actually do more then lift the tv remote
>>
>>1076555
Trips deserved
>>
>>1077002
Grip detected
>>
>>1076514
THIS!

I always carry a backup, but this right here is why I keep a close eye on my ’locs. Nobody borrows them without me being on site and aware of what they are doing with them. If they go missing and I find them on somebiy else's truck... Let's just say nobody takes my tools any more.
>>
>>1077044
Sure you do, kiddo.
>>
>>1076347
I was a tower hand for 5 years.

Channel locks are the right tool for almost everything when you need to keep your pouch light.
>>
>>1077058
You mean you throw a fit like a toddler and make threats that everyone knows you won't follow up on, so everyone leaves your toys alone because it's embarrassing to see a grown man cry?

Probably the same reason you're too much of a pussy to open some pipe dope without pliers.
>>
File: 0TinFk[1].gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
0TinFk[1].gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>1077058
>Let's just say nobody takes my tools any more.
>>1077868
>>
>>1076347
only thing those things are good for are bending the steel back in place after dropping something on steel toe boots, removing certain hose clamps (only due to their offset heads), and cracking walnuts.

i can see the allure of using them to "replace" multiple tools to save money or due to limited space, but i'd rather carry an adjustable wrench, pliers, vicegrips and a pipe wrench.
>>
>>1076347
>Pump pliers
>no purpose

Also perfect for "holding this shit in place as i thread this other shit on/off"
>>
>>1077057
ayy
not him, but knipex are good for cheeseboroughs.
Only issue is they're easily dropped while up in the rigging.
I don't want to admit the c-wrench is probably the better tool for the job
>>
File: P-G02501-600_600.jpg (18KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
P-G02501-600_600.jpg
18KB, 600x600px
>>1078546
Introducing the Knipex tethered line of tools.
>>
>>1078560
It's beautiful
>>
>>1076347
use mine for holding glowing leaf springs
>>
In Sweden we call them Stockholmers. Big mouth and compeletely useless.
>>
>>1076350

who makes that?
>>
File: image.jpg (15KB, 268x188px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 268x188px
>>1078897
it's a jp johannson pattern, AKA 'swedish pipe wrench'
bahco were the only distributor 120 years ago, but you can get them pretty much anywhere now.
it's kinda clumsy compared to a footprint or a slipjaw.
>>
>>1076381
if he is the one that is supposed to be retarded?
what kind of autism do you have
>>
water pump pliers, for removing water pumps aka immersion heater in a cylinder.
>>
>>1076347
They can be used to probe for and remove a bullet or shot. Cut off the rubber handles then wash thoroughly with solvent or soap and water. Sterilize by soaking in solvent and setting on fire or heating with a blowtorch or over a fire. Use the smallest implement possible to minimize damage. Can also be used to cauterize a wound. Just heat a small portion to a dull red color and press it to the affected area.
>>
>>1076350
Is this like a stilson vice grip?
Cool
>>
>>1076556
How's Knipex durability?
>>
>>1076347
i run half inch gas lines with those bad boys
>>
>>1076347
No it just means im getting ready to pull your fucking teeth out OP
>>
>>1076347
I have several of these. Really useful.
> pick up the bbq grate
> pull nails out of stuff
> cracking pecans
> picking up that piece of metal you just torched off
> fixing a stuck zipper
> killing roaches, not normal ones mind you, the mean fuckers that grab your carpet knife and hold the cat hostage.
>>
>>1080089
I bought into the shilling here on diy, I got a pair of them.
Havent had them long enough, or used them hard enough to say how durable they will be.
With that said, they feel quality. Also other people on other parts of the internet vouch for them too.
>>
>>1076425
>pliers without teeth
I assume they're unfinished and being used for photography/staging purposes, but damn if it those aren't straight out of the uncanny valley to me.
>>
File: pliers.jpg (74KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
pliers.jpg
74KB, 1280x720px
>>1080373
They are unfinished because they are basically an adjustable wrench on a pair of pliers.

Sure you can grip bolts with a a regular pair of pliers with teeth like they sell here
>>1076556

But if you look, the jaw slides up and down evenly to accurately fit bolts and nuts. And with no teeth, it doesnt rip up and destroy the nuts

Pretty neat
>>
>>1080089
I love the knipex cobras. I stole a couple from my work where we have tools supplied for free and use the for everything. Havent noticed any wear on the teeth.
>>
>>1080089
Pretty good.
Have nine different knipex pliers.
>>
>>1076373
>Hydraulic pipes. Like brakes on a car. Those buggers strip all too easily on an old rusty piece of shit. Then I use one of those. In general rusty bolts on cars. Stripping sucks.

Nope. You need to get it through your head before you get fired, probably too late by now as I'd fired you on the spot for doing this.
(You should of asked someone for these: "flare nut wrenches" "line wrenches" "tubing wrenches") remember that.
>>
File: brake-line.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
brake-line.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>1080837
stfu noob
>>
>>1080837
You're literally retarded holy shit.

Have you actually worked with tools, or do you just read about them?
>>
>>1080934
>noob
New brake line isn't going to make that junk heap any safer.
So you're saying that you don't need propper tools to do a quality job and you call me a noob.

>>1080948
>Have you actually worked with tools...
Every day. I've probably lost more tools in my lifetime than you've used up to this point kid.
>>
File: NETS.jpg (431KB, 1600x1064px) Image search: [Google]
NETS.jpg
431KB, 1600x1064px
>>1081016
>>
>>1080837
I remember trying to remove brake lines from a master cylinder without those. About 2 minutes in I realized aluminum is butter soft I would wreck shit without those so I bought a set. Never seen a 12 point set though. The flare wrenches were also glorious on a brake job, ford uses some bolts with short heads on the front and whoever fucking assembled my brakes at the factory had the strength of Hercules.
>>
>>1081057
>Never seen a 12 point set
I haven't either and now that you mention it I'm not sure I'd want any anyways. Less surface area makes me nervous.
>>
File: Stillsons-Pipe-Wrench-Tool-Hire.jpg (110KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Stillsons-Pipe-Wrench-Tool-Hire.jpg
110KB, 1200x1200px
All of your can just fuck right off. Water pump pliers are only useful when you don't have the correct sized spanner and you're not a Mongoloid who uses adjustables.

For everything else there's a better suited tool for the job.
>>
>>1076347
Just used a pair of those taking the drain out of my bathtub to get under the cap to the brass screw the actually holds the assembly in. "Companion" brand? Have NO idea where I even got them. Then I used a home made zip strip to get my lovely wife's hair out of there. While I was at it I used a hacksaw and a needle file to touch up the screw slot that I'd boogered up last time. Cost - $0, time <10 minutes, and now I'm counting on some of that "mandatory wife sex," and it's gonna be damned good! It was the perfect tool for me OP: did the job, and getting sex too, fast and free.
>>
>>1076347
>Using pic related means you don't have the right tool for the job.
That's why I'm using them.

>Prove me ...
>Tell me ...
Me me me me me, lol such a tool.
>>
File: 71AEmNd6TjL._SL1500_.jpg (98KB, 1500x1072px) Image search: [Google]
71AEmNd6TjL._SL1500_.jpg
98KB, 1500x1072px
>>1076347
But i actually use them on my stuffing box.
Also great to grip round shit.
OP is a faggot.
>>
>>1076347
Compression couplings for running a rack of various sizes of EMT
>>
>>1076347
Easy. When undoing two same-diameter nuts. Either use the knipex or buy double the wrenches.
>>
>>1076347
They're like violence, never the right tool but always works out.
>>
>>1076347
I used mine today to pull a fuel filter out of those shitty 80s ford FI pressurized fuel lines. And to remove the tip off my MIG.
Why should I buy 20 'specialized tools' when I can just buy a pair or waterpumps.
I have a moster pair that I use on stuck oil filters when the 'specialized tools' don't work.
They certainly aren't a substitute for a wrench set, but they have they're place.
If you haven't figured that out you haven't got any real experience.
>>
Cracking nuts
>>
The right tool is the tool you have that works.
>>
>>1077868
>Probably the same reason you're too much of a pussy to open some pipe dope without pliers.

Dope is anti-seize and opens without pliers. Cured pipe cement is basically Loctite and fingers rarely open a can whose threads were spooged. That's why plumbers use toothy pliers of various types to open stuck lids.
>>
>>1078546
>Only issue is they're easily dropped while up in the rigging.

Tack weld an eye or a large nut to your handle then paracord or whatever.
>>
>>1080089
Outstanding. I used a pair to cut TIG filler rods and make hundreds of cuts on 3/32" and 1/8". Me lubs Knipex
>>
>>1081057
>About 2 minutes in I realized aluminum is butter soft I would wreck shit without those so I bought a set.

What master cylinder uses ALUMINUM brake fittings? Soft cheap steel is common though.

I have both 12 and 6 point line wrenches. Break torque with the 6pt, then use the 12 for easier swing in tight areas. They complement each other.
>>
File: download (6).jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download (6).jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>1076514
Fucking A anon! Pic related glues itself shut so tight.
>>
>>1076347
When you are climbing up the side of a building to get on a roof, one hand on the ladder one hand on your tool bag id rather have as many multi tools as possible then have every single heavy tool I need for every job. Same reason I use pic related
>>
>>1084762
those 6 way screwdrivers are the handiest tool
>>
>>1084808
Agreed I work hvac and most of the time if you just walk in with one of em you can fix 90%of things
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.