[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My tenants are too stupid and lazy to get up and take their garbage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: rats.jpg (44KB, 647x340px) Image search: [Google]
rats.jpg
44KB, 647x340px
My tenants are too stupid and lazy to get up and take their garbage to the curb on collection day, so now there are rats under the front deck. What's the quickest and most discreet way to get rid of the vermin (the rats, not the tenants, they have been given a written warning)?

I'm trying to rent out another unit in the house, so I don't want to have rat traps around the property. Also, if I use poison is there any chance that neighborhood cats will eat it and get kill? That isn't my biggest concern desu but I would prefer to avoid it.
>>
File: 5133367.jpg (13KB, 219x230px) Image search: [Google]
5133367.jpg
13KB, 219x230px
I'm also curious about how much it would cost to get an exterminator to do this. I'm going to do the work myself but I intend on charging it to their security deposit.
>>
>>1075486
just get a free quote from a pest control business in your area
>>
>>1075470
Just use poison under the deck. If the neighborhood cats haven't gotten under there taken care of them already then they aren't likely to ingest the poison.
>>
Maybe make the tenants pay for an exterminator considering its their fault?
>>
>>1075611
You can't force them to get an exterminator as it is your property and your responsibility. You can call an exterminator and send the invoice to your tenants, but they can take you to small claims court if they feel the charges are excessive (e.g. hiring an exterminator when a few traps would have sufficed).
>>
>Introduce Australian Spiders:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl6Vo0NBJPw

+1 for UNDER the deck - get proper rat control poison trap(s) - do not, under any circumstances, just start pouring bags of cyanide around and shit, dead neighbors pets = guaranteed stress, whether you personally care or not.
>>
>>1075470
>the rats, not the tenants, they have been given a written warning
You gave rats a written warning? That's awfully fair of you.
>>
can you get under your deck? if so put a pice of slim jim on a big rat snap trap. gets them every time.

>>1075486
depends where you live. i work for orkin and in the city it's usually 131 for the initial. If it's over 200 find another company. In reality you can just doit yourself.
>>
>>1075636
OP here. Sounds about right. I had no intention of hiring pest control, I just wanted a ballpark idea of how much I should deduct from my tenants' damage deposit. I'm going to take $100. 20 for the poison, 80 for wasting my time.
>>
>>1075639
the posion in the store sucks dick. I would see if you can get some on amazon. look for contract blox. Or just load a balogna sandwich up with antifreeze.
>>
>>1075470
Insurance fire?

google ye for "rat zapper"
>>
>>1075486
I was going to say, if there isn't anything in the lease about that kind of thing, make sure to add one for the future.
>>
>>1075645
>Or just load a balogna sandwich up with antifreeze.

I thought about this, but I don't want to go to jail.
>>
>>1075470
From personal experience I can tell you that poison is the way to go, that or live trap and drown, the downside of poisoning rats is when they die under the property and stink it up.

Block any holes you find with steel wool, they will die if they chew through it.

If you use poison then use peanut butter as bait, they can't get enough of it, especially in winter when food sources are scarce.
>>
>>1075470
Landlord here.

You evict them with cause. You're allowing tenants to create a human health hazard that puts your other units at risk. This leaves you open to losing other tenants breaking lease for cause and potential lawsuits and even intervention from the housing board. Which can include fines, penalties, levies, and leins.

You're either a landlord a slumlord. Choose your side.
>>
did the rats make it inside the building yet? if not yet soon they will be.

as a homeowner i've never had to deal with rats, but field mice, i shy away from poison for a reason.

if they have infiltrated the building and you use poison, they will ingest the poison and return to where they are sheltered from the elements and die there. nothing's worse then after a week or two after you use poison and the building starts to reek because of decaying rat carcasses in the walls.

my advice, kick the bastards out, use traps and seal up any holes they made to get inside and use their security deposit to pay for materials and labor. save receipts and make an itemized list of what was bought and how much actual time it took (don't pad it). if they take you to court over the security deposit, you'll have everything you need to make the judge laugh.
>>
>>1075470
Had that pest a few years ago because neighbors dumped all sorts of food on their compost.
Poison was not considered because there are lots of cats.

What I tried:
- Pissing in the holes. Did not help at all.
- Petroleum/oil in the holes. Helped for maybe a week.
- Air gun. Takes just too much time.
- Livetrap with various bait. Caught one rat. Also one cat and several birds.
- Spade. Got two rats. Only works when you're outside and see a rat running around. Bonus for hunter feeling.
- 1$ rattrap. It's super effective. With a single trap I got 14 rats. Just scrub the blood off after each use and/or let it soak outside in rainwater for a day so the smell of death wears off. Also killed a few birds too though. No more rats since then.

I thought about using butane or carbide and light it, but was afraid it would blow shit up.
Couldn't try car fumes because I had no fitting pipe to lead it into the holes.
>>
A cat
>>
>>1078602
A common housecat will only attempt once to fight a rat. When they get cornered they will attack and you should not underestimate them. A rat can fuck up a cat.
>>
Corn meal mixed w/plaster of paris.
>>
>>1078656
>mixed w/plaster of paris
no shit
>>
>>1078673
Literally.
>>
>>1075667
I can vouch for this. When I was in high school, my mom got sick of chipmunks the deck and got one. It even handled squirrels.
>>
>>1078909
Zappers work great on chipmunks and squirrels; not so great on rats. They are smarter than the aforementioned pests.
>>
>>1078909
>>1078913
I'm glad they worked for somebody out there. Biggest waste of money I've ever spent on pests.
Got one mouse and several tree roaches, couldn't get the charred smell out and it quit working after a month. Rats would just wait for a roach to trip the trap and then take the bait when it was safe.
>>
>cats eating rat poison

Not likely, why would a cat nibble on a poisoned had snack in the first place?

It's more probable that a cat could eat a dead rat(unlikely, cats leave dead animals alone), or one that is struggling but still able to move.
>>
Pest control here:

-Depending on the laws of your state, YOU may be financially responsible for pest services at your property.
-If you find that your aren't you should start including that in your lease.
-If your tenants have dogs, poison is not a option. Little known fact: Dogfood is the antidote to rodent poison. IF the rats are eating the neighbors dogfood...same effects.
-There are HIGHLY toxic dusts that will kill them. Just dust the burroughs under the deck and cover them up.
-Crush glass (several times) to get fine shards and stuff them under the deck. They won't crawl threw them anymore, but doesn't prevent them from digging new ones.
-Look into eviction laws. Your tenants are creating and contributing to the degeneracy of your property.
-You already know, but you can't just get a cat and leave it with them.
-Victor rat sized snap traps work well.
-Rats WON'T eat poison if readily available food is available as a first option.

May the force be with you!
>>
Cat choking out a rat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip05AlQFYx4
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csCqPYea-aI
>>
Supposedly you can use cotton balls as bait on rat traps instead of peanut butter.

They want the nesting material as much as the food. Just be sure to make them work for it by tying it to the trigger.
>>
>>1075632
just thinking of the rats from Portlandia
>>
File: 127814606985.jpg (24KB, 369x500px) Image search: [Google]
127814606985.jpg
24KB, 369x500px
>>1075470
>being a pet rat owner and encountering this thread
>mfw

Steel wool and metal mesh wiring with spacing smaller than .5 in^2 is an effective deterrent from rodents entering in nooks and crannies. Poison is an awful idea because of the decaying corpse problem and the knack of rats to breed a tolerance in many cases.
>>
>>1075470
We always put coke and a strong poison in ice cream pails around our corn. We killed at least 100 racoons that we found, many more wandered into the woods and died.
>>
>>1075470
Don't rent a house next to an infestation without telling them, asshole.
Pretty sure fair disclosure laws require you to tell them the neighbors are pieces of shit and living there will probably cause a rat, mouse, cockroach, flea, bedbug, and silverfish infestation as well as a highly increased chance of black mold transferring over via air and whatever contaminated shit the mice drag over.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-OITywccpk
>>
Can try fox urine. Works for rabbits. No idea if it will work for rats.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.