[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the greatest horsepower electric motor I can get that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: dc+motors+components[1].jpg (31KB, 472x320px) Image search: [Google]
dc+motors+components[1].jpg
31KB, 472x320px
What is the greatest horsepower electric motor I can get that will run on 110 volts AC at 15 amps? How about 20 amps?

I don't mean 'peak' HP (aka marketing HP), in which case I would use the '6 horsepower' motor in my vacuum cleaner and call it a day. I also don't mean theoretical HP. I mean legit horsepower that I can buy on the market today. I need a ~1750 RPM motor for a drill press I'm rebuilding and most of the crap I'm seeing when I google stuff is clearly lying about their horsepower output.
>>
File: bikedrill_545jh4jk.jpg (307KB, 1413x1695px) Image search: [Google]
bikedrill_545jh4jk.jpg
307KB, 1413x1695px
>>1074410
>What is the greatest horsepower electric motor I can get that will run on 110 volts AC at 15 amps?[/quote]
That would be watts, which is volts x amps.

[quote]How about 20 amps?[/quote]
That would be watts, which is volts x amps also.

The bigger e-bike motors go up to 2000 watts or so and are easy to work with. Plus they come with a variable-speed throttle, so you will have a motor that is variable-speed all by itself.

Pic related. This motor is $430 and a controller is about $75. I dunno what a power supply would cost, but they're on there too.

This company is especially good because they have a slogan:
"something not to do now - it will never be done.... forever"
>>
>>1074410
just how big is your drill press?
HSS bits under an inch will snap off or untwist if you run 'em hard enough to stall a 3hp motor.
>>
>>1074410
well, the average 120 socket is 15 amps, so 1800 watts. 1 horsepower is equal to 745.7 watts, and 1800/745.7 is 2.413839345581333. accounting for inefficiencies and losses which according to google is usually about 25%, you can generate approximately 1.810379509186 horsepower from a standard us wall socket at the motor.
long story short, if you want real power youll have to go 240v where you can go in excess of 10000 watts
>>
>>1074410

Ever seen the motors section of your local code book? The answer to this question depends on a lot of factors.
>>
Get yourself a proper industrial three phase asynchronous motor and pay close attention to the Power/RPM and current characteristics (as the power is simply limited by the current each of your phases can carry) which will be found in catalogue data for said motor. Although you'll probably have to order a paper catalogue from some local company that deals in motors first.
>>
>>1074576
don't forget a three phase generator
>>
>>1074592
Why? Where I am all houses have three phases. I assume someone who wants a motor like that does not live in an apartment building.
>>
>>1074412
>[Quote]
Nigga you serious?
>>
>>1074451
It's got a Morse taper, so I can run some pretty big bits on it.

>>1074555
So probably a 1½ or 1¾ HP motor if I don't want to trip the breaker on start up. Thank you.

>>1074561
Most of the motor manufacturers out here over-rate the HP of their motors pretty seriously. It seems even Baldor is lying about their motors these days. A friend bought a "half horsepower" grinder from them a short while ago and it is only rated at 3.4 amps. Even I know that's complete bullshit.

>>1074576
>>1074592
Out of my budget.
>>
>>1074702
I'm in the USA. All our homes are single phase, 110 volts with 220 volts available for high demand applications. Three phase is rare outside of industrial areas.
>>
>>1074707
You can get an old asynchro motor for like 20 bucks. If you for some retarded reason have only one phase (which is shit), just connect it to one phase and use a capacitor - small drop of power, but this is what they do in appliances that use asynchro motors.
>>
>>1074702
240=/3phase in all homes
>>
>>1074410
2.2Kw 110v single phase is about it. Equiv 3hp but it'll be slower than 1750rpm. You might get close with a 2 pole but those will probably be faster than that.

4 pole seem to be around 1400/1500rpm

Any more than that and you're looking at 3 phases.
>>
>>1074702

There are very few places/countries with a domestic 3phase supply.
>>
File: 10_1244301363.jpg (280KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
10_1244301363.jpg
280KB, 1000x750px
>>1074709
>landofthefree.jpg

Honestly, how do you do anything with that? In commie Poland it was unthinkable that you would not have three phases, because how else are you gonna get shit done? I mean seriously, how the hell do you power anything larger than a fucking mixer without that? How do you people saw your wood, run your grinders, and all those things? I mean, on 110V single phase you cannot even run a dildo without putting too much current on the lines.
>>
>>1074718
>Commie poland logic

The only reason you have three phase domestically is because you're dirt poor and it's the cheapest way of consuming Germany's energy surplus.
>>
>>1074718
>In commie Poland it was unthinkable that you would not have three phases,

Yet you're still a third world country.
Look at your pic. That shit looks like it's ready to explode in a shower of sparks.
>>
File: wtyk_14-1000x1000.jpg (122KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
wtyk_14-1000x1000.jpg
122KB, 1000x1000px
>>1074728
And yet I get to run a 5kW lathe in my basement and play with it to my hearts content, and you cannot even run a tea kettle.
>>
>>1074732

I mean, Come on, time to be honest here. The type of lathe that you're talking about are few and far between in Poland and probably won't fit in the vast majority of peoples basements.

>Phase converter
Also, not having isn't the same as not available. Anyone can get 3 phase should they be willing to have it installed but it's normally not required by the vast majority of house holds so why waste money installing it for the sake of it?

>Commie Poland logic

No wonder Poland is dirt poor and all move to Engerland.
>>
>>1074732
> lathe
> basement
Pretty sure that's the dumbest thing I have read today.
>>
>>1074737
>anyone can get it installed
Mehhhh, That's a pretty expensive work order. That's why home gamers use three-phase generators instead of paying the power company $30k+ to put in a three phase transformer.
>>
>>1074718
>110 can't do anything!
Meanwhile, we do everything.
The rare exception is high-speed commercial ovens, which usually run on 480 or 240 3PH.
>>
>>1074412
>I have a rudimentary understanding of electric motors and shouldn't be posting in this thread
The post.
>>
>>1074555
Most of this is correct, but residential circuit breakers trip at 80% rated (at least they are suppose to), you can adjust your math from there
>>
>>1074555
>>1074775
I should also add you want to look at the motors FLA(full load amps) and not just the horsepower. The FLA is what it will actually be drawing when loaded up.
>>
There are a lot of misconceptions in this thread.

The nameplate horse power of a motor has little to do with the current draw. It's the amount of power, accounting for power factor, that will be exerted before stalling. A 5HP motor can run day and night on a 15 amp circuit so long as it isn't loaded. Inrush is only a problem if what you're running has a lot of inertia or load. The current draw obviously goes up as the motor gets larger, but it's significantly more effected by load (I.e. a lot of drag drilling through a hunk of steel). You can very safely run a somewhat larger motor than the circuit would mathematically be sized for, so long as you're okay resetting the breaker if you run it too hard. The alternative is having the rotor lock up, which may trip the breaker anyway only after heating up the stator with "jam current" as it slips.

Of course, I'm posting this on the Internet, so a bunch of the people who don't have 6-year degrees will tell me how retarded I am and OP will ignore me.
>>
>>1074576
I used to run this 10' tall airplane prop off of a 7 HP 3 phase motor to use as a shop fan. Shit would move some air.
>>
>>1074711

He probably gets confused looking at 3 phase transformers on mains supply but doesnt realise they are all split before they get to the houses.
>>
>>1074718
Our motor tech got a hell of a lot better than what you got stuck with in comie Poland.... hell I've got an electric mixer that's got a D.C. Motor rated for 1 hp.... the motor controls will never actually send enough power to hit it, but in theory if properly supplied it could deliver.
>>
>>1074781
Jesus your retarded and op should ignore you.
>>
>>1074813
You make a lot of good points and I think your argument is believable. You've won me over with your credibility. Good post.
>>
>>1074813
I see what you did there...
>>
>>1074741
Not even that. You can buy pretty decent phase converter that run off single phase 240v for under £3k

>>1074781
Do you feel like you've wasted a lot of money? What youve posted is more or less, copypasta.

Lastly, what happened to Polant stronk?
>>
>>1074781
God damn son... OP, you're not listening to this shit, are you?
>>
>>1074813
>>1074896
Genuinely curious here, is that not exactly how it works? Or are you guys just trying to be funny?
>>
File: generic motor curve.jpg (89KB, 500x390px) Image search: [Google]
generic motor curve.jpg
89KB, 500x390px
>>1074954
Power out = Power in - losses
You will get slightly different characteristics based the motor design itself, but putting a larger motor on isn't some magic bullet to get around this. Your still limited by the circuit it's connected to. Also your spending a lot more money for slightly better performance depending on load.
On rotor lock up the breaker will trip, locked rotor current is usually around 6 x FLA so a 1 hp motor at locked rotor on 120V circuit will draw around 35 amps.
This is a generic motor performance curve. The rated line is were you are running at the rated full load amps, or the rated load the motor can drive. So if the motor was correctly sized this is closer to the top end of your working area (on a variable load like a drill press the actual load range will drift around a lot).

Lets say you put an ammeter on to measure current, then you could put another vertical line on the graph that moves according to your measured current, then you can see other performance characteristics of your motor.
If you put a larger motor on the same load what you are doing is moving that line further left, and operating in the further left zone.
>>
>>1074781
Me again.

I'm not telling OP to buy a 5horse motor for a drill press. Just seemed like >>1074707 and
>>1074555
Were pretty far off base.
>>
>>1074706
[Quote]>>>1074412
>>[Quote]
>Nigga you serious?[Quote]
Is this a new meme?
>>
>>1074717
Well I have. Actually everyone that doesn't live in an apartment building has. If you have a house yoiu WILL have 3-phase.
My drill press is 3-phase, as is my welding machine. I have a 3-phase water pump I use to pump water from the sea some 250m away and 40m up.
Shit is needed.
>>
>>1075955
Where do you live that you have 3 phase power in your house. In England unless its commercial or industry its really only run in flats and apartments and then split off as individual phases with a neutral and earth to the homes.
>>
>>1075955
That is not the norm in most places. OP already said he is in the use so its just not helpful.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.