[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does a WiFi receiver work, and how can I build a bigger,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1476311741798.jpg (477KB, 569x800px) Image search: [Google]
1476311741798.jpg
477KB, 569x800px
How does a WiFi receiver work, and how can I build a bigger, more sensitive one?
>>
>>1074057
>Picture unrelated
>No useful info
>No tools
>No skills
>Wheres my DIY Bingo image when I need it

>How does a WiFi receiver work
Google it.

>how can I build a bigger, more sensitive one
The antenna is probably more important than the receiver for whatever it is you are doing. You can Google that too.
>>
Acquire PhD in RFIC design or equivalent
>>
>>1074057
Perhaps I should have specified antenna.
>>
>>1074057
It receives signal by ultrasonic sound, so having a straight line and as big a metallic dish to focus the sound behind it the better

inb5 em is not sound
>>
File: 1476970488285.jpg (57KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1476970488285.jpg
57KB, 600x600px
>>1074071
em is not sound
mw is not sound
ultrasound is sound

ya troll
>>1074066
pic related, you're welcome

>>1074057
crashcourse for dummies:
Radiowaves are a form of light.
Light travels at "c", or 300 million meters per second.
Frequency is the word for how many waves cross a point in one second, expressed in Hertz (Hz)
Amplitude is the difference between the top and bottom point of the wave, this is our y axis.
Wavelength (expressed as lambda, the half life symbol) is how long from the "start" of a wave until you reach the next identical part of the wave. This is our x-axis, or flat axis. It is a function of (c/Hz). Any time you know the frequency of something, or the wavelength, you can find the opposite with this formula.
wifi uses 2,4 Ghz frequency, that means:
300Mkm
----------- = 0.125 m =12.5 cm.
2.400MHz

That is why every wifi router and transmitter has those stubby antennae, because that is the size of the waves they are transmitting and receiving. Building a "bigger antenna" would simply not do you any good unless you built a multitude of smaller antennae and managed to hook these up in some sensible way. Something I have no idea if is even possible. This topic pops up here frequently, and most serious answers say "don't do it, too complex" or "can't be done my home gamer" etc.

That being said, what IS possible is increasing the power output. Only downside is it makes little sense without increasing the power output of your wireless unit as well, since you can't "just download" without transmitting.
>>
>>1074091
What about antennae that are a multiple of the wavelength in size?

There are also fractal antennae, which have been around for a couple of decades.
>>
>>1074095
Outside sphere of knowledge, acquire info autonomously.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.