[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've finally finished a custom arcade stick I've made,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: JbjCZuk.jpg (589KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
JbjCZuk.jpg
589KB, 3264x2448px
I've finally finished a custom arcade stick I've made, pic related but not mine. Thing is, I want to make it better. Right now the controls are wired to an X360 controller circuit board that I "pad hacked". I did this specifically for the highest compatibility on PC. This board sits inside the arcade stick enclosure.

Yesterday, I got the idea from another forum of making it more universal. Basically, all of the controls would be *directly* wired to a universal port (e.g. DB15) at the rear of the enclosure. This universal port would have a long cable running to a small box containing a circuit board specific to the platform I want to use (e.g. Dreamcast or PC). That small box would then have a short (0.5m) cable going to the platform itself.

The idea is that I would have one arcade stick, and several conversion boxes for universal compatibility. I would have a PC/X360 box, a Dreamcast box, PS2 box, Saturn box, etc.

My question is, what would be the best universal connector for this purpose? DB15 connectors are usually too bulky for my taste, but they are indeed very secure. Would using something like HDMI be a bad idea?
>>
If these consoles you are referring to are actual hardware, then it won't be very easy.

You would have to program each "box" with something like a Tensy that knows how to send the correct signal to the console port.
`
>>
>>1073932
> Would using something like HDMI be a bad idea?

I want you to go over the list of these boards that you're going to hook up to this thing and ask yourself that question again.
>>
>>1073942
>>1073954
I think you guys misunderstand my idea.

Each button on the arcade stick has two wires: "on", and ground. The ground is common throughout the entire stick. There's 4 directions on the stick, 8 buttons on the face, a "coin"/back button, and a start button. That means I have a maximum of 15 wires.

The PCB of console pads typically has a common ground. When you "pad hack" a PCB, you are soldering two wires onto each corresponding button on the PCB: "on", and ground. So if I have a Saturn controller, there's 4 directions, 6 face buttons, and a start button.

My arcade stick wires would pass through the DB15 (for example), into the DB15 port on the project box. Then these wires would run to the console controller PCB which were "pad hacked". The PCB already does all the signal processing, and the PCB also already has a cable coming out of it which goes to the console.

I already have this working on my finished arcade stick. The only difference is I'm adding a DB15 (or whatever) "middle man". I don't see why HDMI wouldn't work as well, or any other standard where there are at least 15 insulated copper wires.

My problem is that I want to find something more wieldy than DB15. DB15 would mean that I have a big, fat cable coming out the rear of my arcade stick. I also want to find something that won't easily be yanked out. CAT5 would be a good one, but there are only 8 signal wires and they are of a fairly small diameter.
>>
You want to get yourself a PS360+ PCB, as it'll do most of the work for you. You just need to make console -> RJ45 leads to connect to each of the consoles you want.

Will be a lot less wiring for what you want.
>>
>>1074139
>Xbox 360, Playstation 3 (with Playstation 2 Backwards Compatibility), Xbox 1 (original), Dreamcast, Saturn, PSX, PC and PS4 (8min timeout), with smart-detection for all supported systems.

Holy shit that's amazing. Thanks bro.
>>
>>1074170
If PS4 is a major concern to you then check out the PCBs that Brook makes - they have been pretty good so far about releasing firmware updates every time Sony releases a patch that breaks 3rd party controllers. If you go to fighting game tournaments where they use PS4s then I don't think they will let you use a stick with 8min timeout. I don't think their PCBs support many older consoles though...
>>
>>1074191
My main use will be PC (xinput), X360, PS2, original Xbox, Saturn, and Dreamcast. If I do get a PS4 eventually, I would be fine with getting another stick for it but that's far into the future.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.