[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does using vinegar + baking soda really help in breaking up/clearing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: o.jpg (112KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
112KB, 1000x750px
Does using vinegar + baking soda really help in breaking up/clearing grease in a sewer line? It pretty much gets backed up every year (its not a root problem)
>>
>>1073858
no, but using only one at a time will do

vinegar and baking soda cancel each other out...
>>
>>1073858
>Does using vinegar + baking soda really help in breaking up/clearing grease in a sewer line?
The only thing I've found to be effective is a snake, if the line is already clogged. Pouring in any kind of drain cleaner is just making a bigger mess to deal with.

If it's not totally clogged yet, you can try using dishwashing soap. A lot of times that works for me.
1. You run the hot water for 2-3 minutes, or until the water begins to back up into the sink, about 1/3 full. This is to warm up the grease clog, since the soap works better when it's warm.
2. Turn the hot water down so it's flowing about the same speed as the drain is flowing.
3. Pour a quarter-bottle of dishwashing soap directly into the sink, over the drain. Use a brand that cuts grease well; I use Dawn for this. And leave the hot water running slowly.
4. Watch it for 2-3 minutes.... When the soap hits the clog you can usually see, because the water suddenly starts draining way faster than before.

I don't ever pour grease down the drain but eventually it does seem to build up now and then.
Normal drain clog removers are usually acidic, and meant for eating hair in bathroom drains. They simply don't do much on a grease clog, no matter what the labels say.
>>
>>1073858
stop pouring oil down your sink
>>
Pour oil or cooked fat grease ( bacon fat) in a glass jar. Throw the jar away when it's full on use another one. You'll always have this problem but tossing grease in the garbage should give 5 years between occurrences.

Ive had mild success with the cans of compressed air. Probably not going to work on that sink though, you'll just blow the air out the other sink. Maybe plunder one side and air can the other?
>>
>>1073868
>>1073869
I do but it still gets clogged around the one year mark
>>
>>1073866
>The only thing I've found to be effective is a snake

I second this. Problem is most DIY snakes only go 25 feet.
>>
op you seem like a well-off fellow
why not just hire a plumber
>>
>>1073890
Right ?

Fucking beats on granite on granite on granite
>>
>>1073873
Have you cleaned out the plumbing air vent on your roof? Flush some water down it with a garden hose.
>>
File: 51JOFp4O-+L._SY300_.jpg (16KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
51JOFp4O-+L._SY300_.jpg
16KB, 300x300px
>>1073858
why dont you use Sodium hydroxide ?
>>
Try bleach and peroxide....gets nice and hot
>>
>>1073858
quit pouring grease in the drain plebtard
>>
>>1073920
problems over for good
>>
>>1073921
Please read the thread anon
>>
>>1073873
if you're not dumping grease, why ask about grease?

get a 25-50ft snake and probably a drain bladder

I have had to clear out a kitchen drain numerous times, once a year is not that bad depending on on the age of the pipes....grime just builds up over time and it takes less to get blocked

makes sure there are strainers in the sink and keep them clean
>>
>>1073858
Just pour boiling water down the drain. It'll melt the grease.
>>
Having been in maintenance for over 20 years my first response is quit using the garbage disposal as a trash can.
>>
>>1073890
>>1073894
its just a picture i found lol i have no money
>>
>>1073866
drain cleaner is now a no-go for me, my pipes are cast iron from the ground below and I found it out the hard way. Pouring strong acids down there for years destroyed them and I now use a sump pump and use a 2nd line that was exclusively before just for the bathrooms.

I always heard the vinegar and baking soda combo would work but it never stuck, but running good dish soap with hot water every few months may do the trick so I don't have to spend $100+ every year.
>>
>>1073895
there's an air vent for the plumbing system? I was unaware this was even a thing, I'll look into it
>>
>>1073889
>I second this. Problem is most DIY snakes only go 25 feet.
The 1/4" thick ones are usually only 25 feet.

The 1/2" ones are usually at least 50 feet, and they only cost $40-$50 or so... But they are a bother to store, and they're too thick to get through an S-type drain trap easily, so you must use the cleanout plug (assuming you have one).

>>1073950
>Having been in maintenance for over 20 years my first response is quit using the garbage disposal as a trash can.
My house has a garbage disposal and I hate it. It's a smelly moldy mess, even tho I never use it. So far I've just been too lazy to take it out and put a normal drain in.
>>
>>1073858
Preventative maintenance, especially for old ladies that live alone, barely use any water except dishes and dish washer:
Once a week, fill both sides of the sink full of hot water and let it go.

Ajax or dishwasher detergent would be much better than soap.

If you have one of those modern smart washing machines, that dont let you choose how much water you use, upstream from your sink, you're just fucked. if you don't have a cleanout on the opposite wall, add one.

And never put coffee grounds in a disposal. I had a customer that seemed to think that's where you're supposed to put them.
>>
>>1073971
1. If you have an S trap, not a P trap going to a sani tee, you're fucked in general. replace it with a ptrap, sanitee, and air inlet if you can't get to the vent in the wall or put one through it outside.

2. Don't run snakes through traps unless it's a bathroom sink and you are certain its a hair clog in the wall within a couple of feet, it's a 1 1/2 drain after the pop up, or its one of those glued traps that share the condensate drain.
Otherwise, pull the wall bend out and go through there, unless
>>
>>1073920
>>1073922

Going to be "that guy" and chime in here because this is the internet and people are retarded.

Bleach + ammonia = death by chlorine gas.
>>
File: 3Ma91Ym.jpg (636KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
3Ma91Ym.jpg
636KB, 1920x2560px
>>1073858
Jesus, that counter top and faucet are eerily similar to mine.

Anyways, just won my own battle with a stubborn drain clog. Sealing the side without the food disposer, turning on the disposer on the other side and pouring tons of boiling in seems to have done the trick. Not sure if the drano I poured earlier helped any.

Finally managed to get whatever the fuck pic related is made up of unstuck and freed up the pipe.
>>
>>1073858
Tell your dumb bitch wife to stop dumping shit down the drain that shouldn't.
>>
Self-retard story. Have slow draining kitchen sink. Place bucket under trap, remove trap, tip contents of trap (dirty water) i to bucket.

Remove bucket, stand up and decide to dispose of water in bucket by tipping down the sink.

mfw had not put trap back on.
>>
>>1074086
Haha. I've done that.
>>
>>1073964
Yes, it's on the roof. Without it the drain would be very inefficient in draining. Think of a gas can without the air vent, if you pour it without the vent it'll pour but very slowly because a vacuum is formed.
>>
>>1073917
This
>>
File: 1476026735488.png (1MB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
1476026735488.png
1MB, 1280x854px
>>1073858
put scraps in the trash and not down the sink.
Cleaning that out is going to take a sewer snek.

I use that bio-stuff that eats goo. Spoon of it down the sink/shower/toilet every month or so. Keeps the drains flowing and actually fixed my bathtub issue (slow draining) since it's impossible to get a sewer snek in there.
>>
>Recommending Lye to anyone on /diy/

Absolutely no.

You and I, we can use it.

This guy here? All these other guys around?
I don't trust them to sit the right way around on the toilet, I sure as shit wouldn't trust them with lye.
>>
>>1073858
Use a snake/wetvac to mostly unclog it. Then pour 50-100ml of dish soap into the drain, followed by a pot full of boiling water, after all the boiling water goes through immediately run the hot water for 2-3 min. That's what I've done in the past.
>>
>>1074238
thats bullshit...it will still drain but it will glug glug glug instead of running straight out
>>
>>1073917
this use sodium hydroxide and then pour down warm water. The lye will heat to a level where the grease will melt. And then stop pouring fucking oil or fats down the drain mong
>>
>>1074352
That glug glug is air entering to equalize the vacuum.

Constantly having an air bubble entering causes the water to drain slower.

Fill a gallon jug with water and tip it upside down, it drains slowly. Stab the bottom with a a knife, this creates a vent and the water leaves much quicker.
>>
Not to hijack the thread or anything... But how would one go about unclugging a toilet which has had shit sitting in it for almost a year?
Long story, basically I had some gross tenets.
>>
File: 1041698_Toilet_Plunger[1].jpg (25KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1041698_Toilet_Plunger[1].jpg
25KB, 1280x1280px
>>1074599
>>
>>1074483
no shit sherlock....thats what I was explaining to him....read
>>
>>1074599
Shit dissolves in water.
If you ever break open a septic pipe, there aren't turds in there, it's all muck.
Did the water get shut off and stuff solidified in there?
Perhaps they've been using the toilet as a trash can, maxipads, tampons, ect?
>>
>>1074326
what can possibly go wrong? Don't eat it, don't let it get in your eyes and you'll be fine
>>
>>1073858
Dunno. I swear by this. $9. Hands down kicks 25 dollar draino and all other shit in the dick. Spent hindreds on repairs and drain shit. ...keep 2-4 of these on hand. Poour 1 down drain. After anbit flush with hot water do 360 degree turn and walk away.
>>
File: welp.jpg (635KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
welp.jpg
635KB, 1920x1080px
Opened up the cleanout under the kitchen sink and
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.